Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:34 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
You can't know anything about train ridership and say what you did.

THE PUBLIC WANTS trains that are clean, go where they need to go and are reasonably prompt. America used to have that but lost it to cars,cars,cars.

I suggest that you do more homework before you comment like this again.
I see once again you have elected yourself as the spokesman for all of America

America NEEDS high speed highways not light rail corridors that service only a small percentage of the population who are better off using bicycles...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloLight View Post
I'm not really sure I understand when people proclaim that rail and rail investments should be paid entirely with private funds and business when no other mode of transportation is done that way. Could you imagine how expensive traveling by car would be if the government didn't subsidize every aspect of it? From making the car, to the fuel that runs the car, to the highways and roads that the cars drive on... the government is involved in all of it.
Maybe because America can no longer afford any more wasteful government boondoggles.

Ya think????????

Old 02-18-2011, 10:09 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Maybe the "idiot" understands the cost per passenger mile better than some of the "idiots" posting here do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If the only thing you have to interject is an insult perhaps you should spend your time in the children's area.
Pot calling the kettle black!?!

Old 02-18-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I see once again you have elected yourself as the spokesman for all of America

America NEEDS high speed highways not light rail corridors that service only a small percentage of the population who are better off using bicycles...
Don't look now but you're the resident expert on a topic you're non-current on.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
You can't know anything about most Americans.
I obviously know more about this topic than you do.
Sure, people might be inclined to use them if there are clean, safe, convenient, reliable and cheap. Who says rail is not?

If my house is 5 miles from a station is it convenient? 5 miles isn't that far.

Are any of them cheap? Or are they all heavily subsidized and not meeting ridership projections? Yes, rail can be , and is cheap, compared to air, bus, and car.

Since most cities have crime rates significantly higher than suburbs and rural areas you can immediately discard the safe view. Poppycock!

If we had a trillion dollar surplus I could see experimenting with the idea. But, we don't. So cut all spending and move towards a sound financial future. That is the long term goal.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:13 PM

California and high speed rail: (current cost estimate - 10 BILLION). The government (our tax dollars) has given CA 3.8 BILLION dollars already.

The first leg of the project is slated for the middle of Central Valley — not between major cities, or congested freeway corridors like San Francisco and San Jose or Orange County and Los Angeles.

The Central Valley site is between Borden — a point on the map where no one lives — and Corcoran, a town where half the residents will never board a train because they’re in prison…

High speed rail in California: the bullet train to oblivion

http://www.ihatethemedia.com/high-sp...in-to-oblivion

Last edited by plwhit; 02-18-2011 at 11:26 PM..

Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 PM

371 posts, read 393,205 times
Quote:
.You can't know anything about most Americans.
I obviously know more about this topic than you do.
Sure, people might be inclined to use them if there are clean, safe, convenient, reliable and cheap. Who says rail is not?

If my house is 5 miles from a station is it convenient? 5 miles isn't that far.

Are any of them cheap? Or are they all heavily subsidized and not meeting ridership projections? Yes, rail can be , and is cheap, compared to air, bus, and car.

Since most cities have crime rates significantly higher than suburbs and rural areas you can immediately discard the safe view. Poppycock!

If we had a trillion dollar surplus I could see experimenting with the idea. But, we don't. So cut all spending and move towards a sound financial future. That is the long term goal...
Do you ever talk with people outside of your little bubble? Most people have no interest in it. They like cars, or they like someone else to take a train so they can use their car.

At 5 miles it isn't convenient. YOU might think it is, but most people don't. I won't park my car at a rail station so it can be broken into, and I won't walk 5 miles to get to the station. So, I would never use it.

Cities do have significantly higher crime. Only a complete fool would believe otherwise. Eco people are terrified to acknowledge that crime plays a role in many people's decision making. As long as you support high crime, you support policies that are anti-train and anti-green. Sorry you don't understand the connection.

BTW, here are the FACTS:
The average crime rate for all cities above 200k people in America is 5538/100k people. About 60% higher than average.

The average crime rate for all cities 100k-200k people in America is 4530/100k people. 31% higher than average

The average crime rate for all cities above 40k-100k people in America is 3838/100k people. 11% higher than average.

The US average crime rate is 3465/100k people.

As I said:
People might be inclined to use them if there are clean, safe, convenient, reliable and cheap.

But it's not.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Don't look now but you're the resident expert on a topic you're non-current on.
America cannot afford these hyper expensive green fantasy projects that will only impact a few.

Why am I not current? Because I don't read the green gloom and doom web sites?

Because I run bicyclists off the road?

Why?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:25 PM

371 posts, read 393,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Because I run bicyclists off the road?
That's mean.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:30 PM

That's why I want better roads rather than light rail, so bicyclists can have their own lane.

Better roads that are safer for bicyclists means fewer people driving as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living