Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 06:09 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Nope it belongs to food forum, you should know how milks is made to be cheaper than the branded purified water & soft junk, considering all the production costs and environmental damages. Besides, being myself from not around here, I'm not obsessing about immigration legalities, it's preying on the desperate and weak of all legal statuses that disturbs me.

Here ya go....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/illegal-immigration/

Or here, take your pick...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 06:20 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

OK, apparently price of milk is not a green issue in your world, but it's a green in mine, so I'll stay put, thanks.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
OK, apparently price of milk is not a green issue in your world, but it's a green in mine, so I'll stay put, thanks.
Prices of foods are of a concern to me, not just in a thread that was opened up to discuss GMO foods that's all...

Do I think the prices of foods are a green issue?

Why not open a new thread here on the topic and see what people have to say?

Old 10-23-2011, 08:48 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Today in the US we are subjected to gobs of government rules and regulations. I understand that some of that control is supposed to be for the well being of the citizens. However, where is the line between safety and domination? When you watch the video keep in mind this is a food coop the police are raiding. Not for drugs but for raw food products that the members of this coop choose to buy and consume. With their guns drawn and in a threatening manner the police arrested several members of this coop and charged them with felonies.
We are being forced to buy and eat GMO's, given little to no choice on meat with A/B's or hormones, and are offered irradiated foods. I believe the wrong people were charged here.
This is a year old but it demonstrates how we, the American consumer, are being dictated to by big business and the corporation. Farmers have been forced out of business by industrial farm concerns and Monsanto has sued over GMO rights. Now it seems that they will even attack a local coop selling select products to a select few who prefer these products. What has happened to the freedom of the American people?

Rawesome Foods Raided... Again! - YouTube

sorry, but the well being of individual citizens is not in the pervue of the federal goverment.

general welfare does not being a nanny from cradle to grave.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Quote:
It's called tea and crumpets, an English food...

The elitists here in America try and "educate" people all the time they know better then everyone else, fortunately people here in America have learned to recognize them and tune them out...

Spoken like a true know-it-all

Could you please post some pictures of parents shoving junk food down their child's throat or into their faces?

Since this disgusting practice seems to be a common occurrence in the UK as per you I'd like to see what it looks like...

Thanks...
It looks like a scone actually. But I don't know because I don't eat that sort of thing.

Don't need pics of parents feeding their kids junk food to prove anything. Just go into any fast food restaurant or see the crap parents shove in their trolleys in the super market like biscuits and candy and other crap. Sometimes I see them feeding this crud to the kids before they even buy it! And the number of insanely fat children there are, which used to be a rare sight 40-50 yrs ago.

Unfortunately yes this junk food addiction does seem to be catching up with the US here in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You're failing to understand the point, which is that in a free country, you do not get to choose what "responsible" is for another person. That they don't agree with you about such things, by the way, doesn't make them irresponsible, necessarily. It could simply be that they disagree with you (shocking, I know, but there it is).
Junk food isn't responsible eating end of. It's a scientific fact! Not a matter of anyone's opinion or "choice"! It's scientifically proven to be very bad for you. I feel sorry for those that don't know that and feel they need educating. Otherwise you see we end up with new generations of fat, ugly pre-diabetic teenagers with high blood pressure and a projected life span shorter than their parents. I didn't say anyone should stop them eating this crap though. But, a tax would be a good idea. Like 100% VAT on cookies, chocolates and McDonalds. That would sort out the nation's debts.

Quote:

The real crux of the matter, though, is in your ideal world where "irresponsible" people had no rights, who gets to decide who that applies to? And what's to stop them from defining you, either now or in future, as "irresponsible" because they don't like something you're doing, or the way you think, or any number of other things that could be used to put you in that category.
Irresponsible because they are living a lifestyle that damages their health and has repercussions on the economy through health care costs and lack of productivity/sickness and there is scientific evidence to back it up. Solution? To be better educated.

Quote:
People who are hell bent for leather on removing freedom from others somehow never seem to quite realize that they are stating right up front that it's fine and dandy for someone else to remove theirs. Because that would never happen to them, because they are "responsible". Thing is, it pretty much always does, since what goes around, comes around.
I'm not hell bent in removing anybody's freedom. I said with freedom comes responsibility and the selfishness of the irresponsible is that abusing their freedoms causes damage to themselves and society. I said the solution is better education (and/or a junk food tax) not "removing freedom". Please don't distort what I said and make me out to be a Hitler or Gaddifi or whatever.

Quote:
So, Weatherfan2, I declare that you are irresponsible for wanting to divest others of their freedom, and should thus have your life choices managed lest you be a danger to yourself. Clearly, you're fine with that, correct?

Very silly because you have totally distorted everything I said including coming up with this funny idea that I ever said i want to strip somebody or other of their freedom. I never implicated myself in this, I said people who are not responsible of their freedom are not very deserving of it because they damage society.
I do not know how you got from my statements of "needing better education", or telling them about what's bad for them, to "stripping people of their freedoms". That's silly.

What do you think the purpose of any education is about? To tell people what to do and control them? No no. You know it is possible to educate people in such a way that they can learn to make wiser choices themselves.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 10-24-2011 at 08:41 AM..

Old 10-24-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Irresponsible because they are living a lifestyle that damages their health and has repercussions on the economy through health care costs and lack of productivity/sickness and there is scientific evidence to back it up. Solution? To be better educated.

I'm not hell bent in removing anybody's freedom. I said with freedom comes responsibility and the selfishness of the irresponsible is that abusing their freedoms causes damage to themselves and society. I said the solution is better education (and/or a junk food tax) not "removing freedom". Please don't distort what I said and make me out to be a Hitler or Gaddifi or whatever.

Very silly because you have totally distorted everything I said including coming up with this funny idea that I ever said i want to strip somebody or other of their freedom. I never implicated myself in this, I said people who are not responsible of their freedom are not very deserving of it because they damage society.
I do not know how you got from my statements of "needing better education", or telling them about what's bad for them, to "stripping people of their freedoms". That's silly.

What do you think the purpose of any education is about? To tell people what to do and control them? No no. You know it is possible to educate people in such a way that they can learn to make wiser choices themselves.
Your elitist I know what's best for you attitude is absolutely astounding.

Now excuse me while I go eat

Old 10-24-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Your elitist I know what's best for you attitude is absolutely astounding.

Now excuse me while I go eat
If you're astounded by somebody who says there are people who should be educated about eating healthy (no not told or dictated...LOL) you must spend your whole life in a state of bewilderment!!!!

I love the way you think I have an "attitude" to suggest educating people especially a certain number of parents who set bad examples feeding junk food to children who often end up obese or with serious medical health problems because of it! Utter crazy! I hope you aren't in that category!

This world has gone upside down indeed. Maybe that's why so many are indeed, obese and diabetic.

It's your silly fault if you make a habit to shove junk in your throat and end up diseased.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
It's your silly fault if you make a habit to shove junk in your throat and end up diseased.
One persons silly fault is another persons delight....

How to eat bread

If you really want to eat bread, at least put some good real food on top of it. Above: Butter, mozzarella, fried bacon and sundried tomatoes. This way you won’t need to eat as much bread until you are satisfied. Also, it’s delicious.

Fat phobia in action | Dietdoctor.com

Old 10-25-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
One persons silly fault is another persons delight....

How to eat bread

If you really want to eat bread, at least put some good real food on top of it. Above: Butter, mozzarella, fried bacon and sundried tomatoes. This way you won’t need to eat as much bread until you are satisfied. Also, it’s delicious.

Fat phobia in action | Dietdoctor.com
LOL.

The least healthiest part of that snack is the bread. The topping is all perfectly healthy if natural and fresh and in moderation.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
LOL.

The least healthiest part of that snack is the bread. The topping is all perfectly healthy if natural and fresh and in moderation.
~ Bacon is natural

~ Butter is natural

~ Mozzarella is natural

~ The sun dried tomatoes probably have chemicals in them

~ Bread soaked in bacon grease is natural

So what's the problem???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living