Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:40 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Mack - Residential home owner market -- maybe... But commercial lawn service... nope. Not yet. And remember, I am a big alt. tech guy. I still want to see longer battery warranties and how long they last on average. A 2 yr. warranty is squat if you have to pay big bucks to replace the battery between years 2 and 3. And you know the battery is not "universal" so in 3-4 years you won't be able to find it - making the mower useless...

Lowes and Home Depot by me have 3 battery lawn mowers and 100 gas powered ones. So while it is a start, they are hardly taking over just yet.

I hope you are right that in 10 years you won't be able to find a new gas powered lawnmower, because the tech in that area has made it impracticable to even think about a gas powered mower.
Some of the mowers now are using standard capacity batteries so that should alleviate some of the supply issues for replacements but you bet, the 1-2 year warranty doesn't cut it. it doesn't seem like the mower makers have figured out what the car makers are doing, holding back nearly half the available storage so to lengthen the battery life. The Chevy Volt for example doesn't let the driver really use most of the battery's capacity and in so doing they get pretty decent service from them.

The prices do need to come down a bit as well. Comparable zero turn mowers running on gas cost about 500 bucks less. I think they'll figure those things out pretty quick, already there are 2nd gen elect riding mowers that perform pretty well.

For commercial service it might not get there, the demands are too high and gas is still so much easier to use considering the power you get from those models. I see some of the commercial lawn care guys simply driving down the street, house to house, something no electric mower could do. Even replaceable batteries wouldn't help there, too much weight to carry around and too much time needed to recharge them.

I'm hoping to have the electric job here pretty soon and I've dedicated a small array to charge it.

I like the newer Husky that put the battery in a small pull along so it can use a pretty good sized battery bank for lots of power and endurance. You could have an extra but right now I bet that would cost quite a bit.

For me it is the noise more than the gas thing. None seem to be even close to quiet, they remind me of the old centrifugal clutch mini-bikes, it was a kick then but can't stand the sound now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 07:57 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
I "hear" you on the sound issue and I am also one of the few that cuts their own yard. Standard batteries is a good way to go - and you hit the nail on the head regarding battery management. I have a Volt and it only lets you go down to 65% SOC (State of Charge). Although it will let you go down a little more for parking lot speed maneuvers to save fuel. So far, even the 2011 Volts are doing well with maintaining their battery performance the real test will be starting in 2019 when the 8 year warranties run out and then comparing that to the manufactures that don't use battery management, active cooling and heating of the battery pack. There is a separate "radiator" and coolant for cooling/heating the batteries.

Regarding the array, wouldn't it still be better to grid tie it so you are always getting a power credit?

I don't like messing with gas either and even more so now that we have the Volt. But I am not convinced that they have the bugs worked out for the battery powered mowers just yet. I'd almost rather have a corded lawn mower. (My grandmother had one 20-30 years ago - seeing as she passed away almost 20 years ago) Back then it didn't have a lot of "power" so it was only good if you didn't let the grass get too high.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
I figured by now, they could be made lighter and made to work in all positions. Although it is probably cost prohibitive... They have electric and battery ones - the battery ones are heavier that the 2-cycle gas motors.
As I said *most* need to be in the upright position. I know they have chainsaws but I'm pretty sure they are no where near the power to weight ratio. I don't know how they design them but it would seem to me making them work in any position is going to increase weight. If you working with something like that all day the power to weight ratio is important. If you compare the consumer models of companies like Stihl or Husqkvarna vs. the professional ones the smallest pro saw Husky makes is about twice the cost of an average sized one.

For the homeowner electric is option for many of these tools, for me it would have to be battery powered because I have a pretty big lot. I use my sawzall for trimming but that's only because the chainsaw I have is too big. If you are doing anything professionally I don't see gas powered equipment going anywhere any time soon.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I "hear" you on the sound issue and I am also one of the few that cuts their own yard. Standard batteries is a good way to go - and you hit the nail on the head regarding battery management. I have a Volt and it only lets you go down to 65% SOC (State of Charge). Although it will let you go down a little more for parking lot speed maneuvers to save fuel. So far, even the 2011 Volts are doing well with maintaining their battery performance the real test will be starting in 2019 when the 8 year warranties run out and then comparing that to the manufactures that don't use battery management, active cooling and heating of the battery pack. There is a separate "radiator" and coolant for cooling/heating the batteries.

Regarding the array, wouldn't it still be better to grid tie it so you are always getting a power credit?

I don't like messing with gas either and even more so now that we have the Volt. But I am not convinced that they have the bugs worked out for the battery powered mowers just yet. I'd almost rather have a corded lawn mower. (My grandmother had one 20-30 years ago - seeing as she passed away almost 20 years ago) Back then it didn't have a lot of "power" so it was only good if you didn't let the grass get too high.
I'm off grid but found that getting the credits is pretty easy anyway. I have grid power if I need it but pay only the service connect fee which is pretty small.

I figured I could install my own battery manager, something like an ATS that shuts off the battery connection at a certain state of charge but instead of of turning on a Genset or something like that, do nothing, just stop the battery discharge. Then again, since I'm probably more cognizant of the issue than the typical home owner (not bragging) just watching the state of charge during operation probably isn't a real big deal. I'll run it down to maybe 60% and then recharge.

Just because I could, I though about putting a sort of bimini top on it with a 180 watt or so mono panel and let a charge controller manage the voltage to the battery bank. It wouldn't be enough to charge it fully but would always be putting something in especially on days where I'm out using it for towing a small utility trailer as I go about various projects.

They have golf carts figured out pretty well, I'm hoping the mower will be at least as good.

It looks like the mowers are using AGMs, not lithiums. Fine by me since they are getting less expensive and the selection of replacements is pretty good. Might rig my own extra bank in the utility trailer for endurance on days where I need to do a lot of work. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
I'm off grid but found that getting the credits is pretty easy anyway. I have grid power if I need it but pay only the service connect fee which is pretty small.

I figured I could install my own battery manager, something like an ATS that shuts off the battery connection at a certain state of charge but instead of of turning on a Genset or something like that, do nothing, just stop the battery discharge. Then again, since I'm probably more cognizant of the issue than the typical home owner (not bragging) just watching the state of charge during operation probably isn't a real big deal. I'll run it down to maybe 60% and then recharge.

Just because I could, I though about putting a sort of bimini top on it with a 180 watt or so mono panel and let a charge controller manage the voltage to the battery bank. It wouldn't be enough to charge it fully but would always be putting something in especially on days where I'm out using it for towing a small utility trailer as I go about various projects.

They have golf carts figured out pretty well, I'm hoping the mower will be at least as good.

It looks like the mowers are using AGMs, not lithiums. Fine by me since they are getting less expensive and the selection of replacements is pretty good. Might rig my own extra bank in the utility trailer for endurance on days where I need to do a lot of work. Shouldn't be too difficult.
Standard size AGMs? Wow, that would be good.. And easier to maintain. Since you have the golf cart's figured out - this shouldn't be too bad then.

You are way more knowledgeable and willing to spend the maintenance time than most homeowners.

Thecoalman - I thought that most, if not all, chainsaws were 2-cycle as well? My 2-cycle weedeater works in any direction as well. I've pruned high tree limbs with it and weed eated the grass... And cut branches at eye level too.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Standard size AGMs? Wow, that would be good.. And easier to maintain. Since you have the golf cart's figured out - this shouldn't be too bad then.

You are way more knowledgeable and willing to spend the maintenance time than most homeowners.

Thecoalman - I thought that most, if not all, chainsaws were 2-cycle as well? My 2-cycle weedeater works in any direction as well. I've pruned high tree limbs with it and weed eated the grass... And cut branches at eye level too.
Saving energy becomes one of those diseases.

The lithiums are far too expensive for what you get. The smaller the item, the more the battery costs become a more important factor. On the EVs it isn't just a big deal because the batteries are the biggest cost in making them but something like a mower, the Lithium batteries would be most of the cost unless the selling price of the mower was also much higher and then no one would buy them.

You know, I was thinking about goats....

Old 04-03-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Saving energy becomes one of those diseases.

The lithiums are far too expensive for what you get. The smaller the item, the more the battery costs become a more important factor. On the EVs it isn't just a big deal because the batteries are the biggest cost in making them but something like a mower, the Lithium batteries would be most of the cost unless the selling price of the mower was also much higher and then no one would buy them.

You know, I was thinking about goats....
Use the old fashioned, no power, push mower.

American Lawn Mower Push Reel Mower — 18in. Cutting Width, Model# 1815-18 | Walk-Behind Mowers| Northern Tool + Equipment

Although kinda pricey if you ask me.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,594 times
I charge up the darned battery, mow the lawn with my electric mower, and don't even get a catalytic converter! How annoying! Tell me, does my electric chain saw also lack a catalytic converter?

The other night, in a room, I smelled something a bit like methane with maybe a slight tinge of sulfur, sometimes it's called gas, piggy balm or a by those poorly educated a fart ... are there people who need catalytic converters to protect us from this quality of life affecting gas?

I suspect some acquaintances of exhaling CO2 when nobody is looking, and thus being non-green, this CO2 increase is mostly noticeable when in a small confined area. People refuse to sequester released CO2 on exhale for reasons no true green person will ever understand. Though in all honestly it's the quiet human methane producers that release flatulence in proximity to my olfactory tissues (others call it a nose, but hey, it's a thread about catalytic converters on lawn mowers, so lets set our pretense on high) who bother me most!! What's next, cows without catalytic converters? When will the madness end!

By the way what is the CO2 and economic cost to create a catalytic converter for a lawnmower and what are the dangerous emissions lawnmowers produce? Would catalytic converters really make green sense if their CO2 cost to produce exceeded any savings in emissions from a mower during it's useful life? Would there be any CO2 savings with a catalytic converter?? If not, isn't a catalytic converter not green?

Last edited by Zot; 04-04-2014 at 12:01 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
I charge up the darned battery, mow the lawn with my electric mower, and don't even get a catalytic converter! How annoying! Tell me, does my electric chain saw also lack a catalytic converter?

The other night, in a room, I smelled something a bit like methane with maybe a slight tinge of sulfur, sometimes it's called gas, piggy balm or a by those poorly educated a fart ... are there people who need catalytic converters to protect us from this quality of life affecting gas?

I suspect some acquaintances of exhaling CO2 when nobody is looking, and thus being non-green, this CO2 increase is mostly noticeable when in a small confined area. People refuse to sequester released CO2 on exhale for reasons no true green person will ever understand. Though in all honestly it's the quiet human methane producers that release flatulence in proximity to my olfactory tissues (others call it a nose, but hey, it's a thread about catalytic converters on lawn mowers, so lets set our pretense on high) who bother me most!! What's next, cows without catalytic converters? When will the madness end!

By the way what is the CO2 and economic cost to create a catalytic converter for a lawnmower and what are the dangerous emissions lawnmowers produce? Would catalytic converters really make green sense if their CO2 cost to produce exceeded any savings in emissions from a mower during it's useful life? Would there be any CO2 savings with a catalytic converter?? If not, isn't a catalytic converter not green?
Cows need to have some sort of catalytic converter on them...

And I enjoyed the end of the week humor too...

Old 04-04-2014, 05:01 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Quote:

Where can you buy ACTUAL palladium and not own it electronically?
Lots of places

Palladium Bars and Palladium Coins | Buy Palladium Online | APMEX.com

https://online.kitco.com/buy/gold-silver.html

I only have 9 ounces, but I got them all under or around 500 bucks/ounce. Some were much luckier and had the foresight to buy at 200/ounce. Supply is very tight.

I'm not sure battery technology is good enough for riding mowers to make it through multiple acres before dying, plus modern batteries still require plenty of energy to produce and need to be recycled properly. Hopefully we can develop some more efficient battery/energy storage in the coming years.

The sound of a mower does not bother me... white noise.. that's what earplugs or electronic earmuffs with built in MP3 function are for. I do use electronic weed whackers... gas ones do sound annoying to me and the 2 stroke engines turn me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living