Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:12 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times

Advertisements

here's an interesting look at PJM's generation queue.... whole bunch more non-renewable sources going in the renewable. (you may have to select all from the list if it doesn't come up)
PJM - Generation Queues: Active

Another link about the availability of renewable energy credits in PJM. I particulary like this paragraph.( Wher I've I heard this before???? Oh yea I SAID THE SAME THING)
[SIZE=3]However, because of the lack of transmission capacity, as well as the inefficiencies of transporting electricity over long distances, most of the energy from wind projects in these central states does not leave the area. The environmentally friendly benefits, such as cleaner air, also remain in the area where the power was generated.
[/SIZE]
http://www.firstenergysolutions.com/...ional_RECs.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 07:46 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
here's an interesting look at PJM's generation queue.... whole bunch more non-renewable sources going in the renewable. (you may have to select all from the list if it doesn't come up)
PJM - Generation Queues: Active

Another link about the availability of renewable energy credits in PJM. I particulary like this paragraph.( Wher I've I heard this before???? Oh yea I SAID THE SAME THING)
[SIZE=3]However, because of the lack of transmission capacity, as well as the inefficiencies of transporting electricity over long distances, most of the energy from wind projects in these central states does not leave the area. The environmentally friendly benefits, such as cleaner air, also remain in the area where the power was generated.
[/SIZE]
http://www.firstenergysolutions.com/...ional_RECs.pdf
Let's see a more relevant portion of the paper

Quote:
Local Wind RECs
For customers in Mid-Atlantic states, local wind RECs come from wind turbines located within the Pennsylvania, Jersey and Maryland (PJM) regional transmission organization footprint. This organization coordinates the movement of wholesale electricity throughout the Mid-Atlantic region (covering all or part of Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois and the District of Columbia).
Wind farms have been built along the ridges of the Allegheny Mountains from Northern Pennsylvania to Northern Virginia, where wind speeds are strong enough, to support the use of wind power. FirstEnergy Solutions Corp. has signed exclusive 20-year purchase contracts with several of these wind farms.
The benefit of local wind is that the electric output of the wind farms along the Allegheny Ridge goes directly into the PJM grid, mixing with the existing electricity from other sources. You can think of buying local wind RECs as an environmentally conscious decision that supports renewable energy and benefits your region as a whole.
The section you gleefully quote is discussing wind credits from outside PJM.

Quote:
National Wind RECs
National wind RECs are benefits from wind turbines located throughout the United States. One limitation of wind power is that many areas of the country do not have average wind speeds strong enough to support wind power. The most wind-rich areas are in the central United States, from North Dakota to North Texas. The wind in North Dakota alone is theoretically capable of supplying one-fourth of the U.S. electrical demand.
However, because of the lack of transmission capacity, as well as the inefficiencies of transporting electricity over long distances, most of the energy from wind projects in these central states does not leave the area. The environmentally friendly benefits, such as cleaner air, also remain in the area where the power was generated. As such, a purchase of a national wind REC is also an environmentally conscious decision that supports renewable energy, but most of the benefits remain in the local area where the energy supply was generated.
Now it isn't true that national wind RECs don't benefit all of us, if what we are worried about is global warming since that is a global phenomenon, but FirstEnergy wants you to buy their product which is inside PJM.

My wind comes from PJM connected resources.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post

Give up a couple of beers a month and do something useful for your grand children's future.
My Grandchildren's future is in jeopardy the way this going. They'll be living in third world country dominated by China, Russia and India who certainly are not ramping down power generation from cheap coal.

Quote:
My electric bills are guaranteed for the next two years by the company.......
The estimates were for 2015, your guarantee will have long expired.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My Grandchildren's future is in jeopardy the way this going. They'll be living in third world country dominated by China, Russia and India who certainly are not ramping down power generation from cheap coal.

The estimates were for 2015, your guarantee will have long expired.
In the 25 years I've been in the energy, the one thing I have learned that is an absolute truth is that no one can predict what the future price of fuel will be.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:14 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Oops... that's 2013. True you can't predict what the energy market is going to do with any certainty but it's not based on the market, it is based on the impacts of the carbon caps and the costs associated with them.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Oops... that's 2013. True you can't predict what the energy market is going to do with any certainty but it's not based on the market, it is based on the impacts of the carbon caps and the costs associated with them.
People know less about what the price of allowances will be than fuel. People who are opposed to allowances are floating $50-100 a ton. Recent auctions in this area closed at $3.00 - 3.50.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:27 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Really These are from the same paper, you should have read it all.......Back on ignore

[quote=rlchurch;7744703]Let's see a more relevant portion of the paper

Why Do Local Wind RECs Cost More?
Local PJM wind RECs typically cost more than national RECs for two main reasons: First, there is less supply in the PJM area than there is nationally, and second, there is more demand for PJM RECs. ]

For customers in Mid-Atlantic states, local wind RECs come from wind turbines located within the Pennsylvania, Jersey and Maryland (PJM) regional transmission organization footprint.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:20 PM

[quote=my54ford;7752659]Really These are from the same paper, you should have read it all.......Back on ignore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Let's see a more relevant portion of the paper

Why Do Local Wind RECs Cost More?
Local PJM wind RECs typically cost more than national RECs for two main reasons: First, there is less supply in the PJM area than there is nationally, and second, there is more demand for PJM RECs. ]

For customers in Mid-Atlantic states, local wind RECs come from wind turbines located within the Pennsylvania, Jersey and Maryland (PJM) regional transmission organization footprint.
I'm buying PJM wind. Wind does typically cost more here than in the Plain States, but it's because the wind resource is not as good. The number I quoted are for my supplier in PJM. BTW the document you are quoting is a sales brochure from FirstEnergy. I'd suggest you be a little less gullible when reading sales brochures.

I'm curious though FirstEnergy in their sales brochure stresses that in PJM you get the green energy delivered to you. Are they missing something in your opinion? You've been telling us they can't do that. LOL

Old 03-05-2009, 06:31 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Hmm.... Obama making a few bucks off Carbon Credits (I'm sure he's banking his retirement on it).

Bushes making millions off perpetuating the oil industry at all cost of human and ecological life.

Decisions, decisions....

Old 03-06-2009, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 11,021 times
So now they will pay for the credits to pollute our air? Sheesh! Well I guess its better than the present system, in which they do it for free! I think its smart to make a "tax" that makes them cut back on their emissions, or pay for the privilege of snarking up the air! And using that money to fund people getting help insulating and bringing their housing up to date. I could use a solar panel and some insulating myself! Where do I sign up for this free lunch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living