Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:41 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times

Advertisements

I had no idea.

Grant aims to fight Amish pesticide use - ColumbiaTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 04:05 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
The article really doesn't say much. In fact, it says almost nothing.

That said, there's no reason to believe that the Amish & Mennonites grow organic. Especially the Mennonites.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:45 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
As I'm in an area that has a lot of Mennonite farmers, I'm well aware that there is nothing "organic" about their farming practices.

The only time I see them head for organic certification is if certain crops, such as organic HRWW, are bringing enough of a premium price to justify the certification expense, the equipment cleaning, and storage. Otherwise, they pour the pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers on to the crops to maximize yields as is done by any other conventional farmer.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:46 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Lot's of Amish near me.

Amish farm with horses.

I have never seen a sprayer going across a field being pulled by horses

Old 11-19-2009, 12:44 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
There are a number of Amish/Mennonite owned/operated "general stores" scattered throughout Missouri. Rare is it to find an "organic" label on their grain, produce or cheeses. Why anyone would jump to the conclusion that just because they live seperate from the "English" that these communities would be automatically "organic" is beyond me.

I was in a Wally-World parking lot in S. GA a couple of years ago during peach harvesting time and watched a Mennonite woman and her son loading up baskets of bulk food size DelMonte canned peaches into her trunk. I asked her: "why so many peaches?" and her response was "to put into glass jars for re-sale". So much for those home canned fruits, jams & jellies!

Old 11-19-2009, 02:03 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
...I asked her: "why so many peaches?" and her response was "to put into glass jars for re-sale". So much for those home canned fruits, jams & jellies!
Doesn't surprise me, but that's extremely deceptive. And illegal, isn't it? What prosecutor is going to spend time and money to go after the "holy, religious folk" over quilts or fruit?

The whole shtick of the Amish and Mennonite is religion. Family values [their's], honesty, craftsmanship, gentle, fair-minded, and some good ol' down-home kind of PR. That's why people logically assume that they are an honest group. It's really not much of a jump to believe a calculated image.

The Amish also continue to run some of the largest puppy mills in the country. There have been law enforcement raids and some of the Amish involved have been arrested for rather extreme animal cruelty.

They make good subjects for photographs, but they're really not any more special than anyone else. Looking to make a buck, that's it.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:06 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There are a number of Amish/Mennonite owned/operated "general stores" scattered throughout Missouri. Rare is it to find an "organic" label on their grain, produce or cheeses. Why anyone would jump to the conclusion that just because they live seperate from the "English" that these communities would be automatically "organic" is beyond me.

I was in a Wally-World parking lot in S. GA a couple of years ago during peach harvesting time and watched a Mennonite woman and her son loading up baskets of bulk food size DelMonte canned peaches into her trunk. I asked her: "why so many peaches?" and her response was "to put into glass jars for re-sale". So much for those home canned fruits, jams & jellies!

Kind of sounds like they're selling their religion.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:44 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Lot's of Amish near me.

Amish farm with horses.

I have never seen a sprayer going across a field being pulled by horses
Me neither. I visited Amish farms in Pennsylvania and I'm pretty sure that using any kind of pesticides on their produce is against what they believe and against their ethics.
I can even taste the difference in their vegetables/fruits.

Some farmers, both Amish and non-Amish who do not use any chemicals in their production practices are not using the term “organic”, because to do so now requires a certification. It is now illegal to use that term unless you are certified to do so. A certification process that I am told can be quite an ordeal, yet doesn’t really ensure that truly organic practices will always be followed.

Just because they don't use the word "organic" doesn't necessarily and automatically mean that they spray.

ETA: my experience is with Lancaster's farms only. I don't know what they are up to in other states.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:32 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
I do not know about their crops but I can tell you for sure they do have many puppy mills. dogs are considered livestock and thus can be housed as such. there are puppy on many rescue groups from busted amish puppy mills. this was a huge surprise for me as I assumed anyone that lived a simple life would be full of kindness. it seems that is not always true

Old 11-19-2009, 05:56 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
I disagree about the "selling their religion" comment about re-packaging and re-selling of canned fruit. Before the nearby Mennonite community moved to Arkansas I used to take my venison to them for processing. Never did anyone even speak of religion or their belief system.

I think the Mennonite are shrew business people who allow the customer to draw his/her own conclusion based on Hollywood images such as seen in the movie "Witness". I just thought the whole canned peaches epiphany was funny because until then I was guilty of using the same blinders as those suprised that Mennonites may not grow organic crops. I still stop into their "general stores" but look at the offerings with a much more critical eye.

Amish, Mennonites, Hutterites, etc... are distinctive communities with their own customs. One should not be confused with the other in discussion.

I was not aware of the "puppy mill" reputation. We've had many such places with their animals salvaged and rehabbed by animal rescue organizations in Missouri. I'll be keeping my eye out with news of future large rescues to see if any of these are from Amish or Mennonite communities.

Dogs are livestock to most of the rest of the world. In this country, with our comfortable standard of living, we have the luxury of providing for our pets and not being forced into a position that they must serve us and earn the most meager of existences.

Livestock are not always kept in deplorable conditions as PETA and other pro-animal/anti-human organizations might hope folks would believe. Most family farmer do the best. They don't want sick animals because that costs $$ and time. One farmer is often judged by other farmers in the community as to how they keep and treat their livestock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living