Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
The human body can metabolize a consistent meat diet very well provided there is adequate exercise. Case in point: numbers of cultures that revolve around hunting or herding such as the Masai, Inuit, tribes of the Mongolian Steppes, and many early American Indian nations. these are the same peoples that develop diabetes, heart disease, and various other ailments when introduced to the high starch/high sugar Western diet.
This phenomenon is not limited to the indigenous peoples you mention. Our current rate of diabetes is a little more than 11 percent. Certainly, humans in general cannot tolerate a high starch/high sugar diet. Over-processed foods being the culprit, IMHO.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 08:18 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I just talked to my doctor today, who has heart disease in his family, and he is on a vegan diet...no oil, meat, dairy, eggs or fish. What I want to know is, who wants to live longer if you only eat steamed vegetables and rice?

Old 05-13-2010, 08:38 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Meat is not needed to stay healthy. Protein is.

There are lots of ways to get enough protein with eating meat.
It is not just the protein found in meat that is beneficial. Without the Amino Acids to put the proteins to use, the protein is a lot less constructive to the human body. To the best of my understanding, one doesn't get a lot of Amino acids from veggies. Humans are primarily omnivores, or, as the saying goes......
"If it ain't eatin' us, we're eating it."

Old 05-13-2010, 08:48 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
This is nothing more than a religious war. It isn't about diet, it isn't about green, it isn't about what works.

Some people have great shame and feelings of incompetence about the idea that We are the top of the food chain. They think it would be much more tolerable if we only killed carrots and dropping fruit, and a few of use were eaten by lions and tigers.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Meat moves through the digestive system very slowly, so too much of it can't be a good thing.

Maybe if it's lean.

But if it's covered in grease....

Old 05-13-2010, 11:30 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Default Dusty Rhodes and protein

Actually, protein is made up of amino acids, some of which our body can make and some of which it can't. A food is said to contain "complete" protein if that protein contains all the amino acids our body cannot make. Examples of complete protein are red meat, poultry, fish, eggs, and dairy. We can get complete protein from plant sources, but not from any single plant; you would have to know which plants, when eaten at the same meal, combine to give you complete protein. This is why it's important for vegans to eat not just any old vegetables, but the right ones in combination.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
if no meat would make us pure-- cows and pigs would be the religious leaders instead of dinner guests.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:44 AM

494 posts, read 890,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Meat is not needed to stay healthy. Protein is.

There are lots of ways to get enough protein with eating meat.
Humans evolved as omnivores; our digestive system is not that of a pure herbivore. Meat is a perfectly acceptable way to get your protein. You can get protein in other ways, but the most convenient and effective way is to have some meat in your diet. It doesn't have to be unhealthful.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:27 AM

719 posts, read 2,666,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just talked to my doctor today, who has heart disease in his family, and he is on a vegan diet...no oil, meat, dairy, eggs or fish. What I want to know is, who wants to live longer if you only eat steamed vegetables and rice?
It can be very rewarding in its own right IMHO. I'm not simply talking about health benefits (sanctimonious vegan chiming in here).

To the OP: I think it depends on the individual. I hardly ever get sick anymore since I've started eating a vegan diet, and I suspect that my Mexican ancestry has quite a bit to do with it. . . Centuries of living off mostly maize, rice, and beans must have an impact on the way the body makes use of the protein it rceives. My uncle, on the other hand (who incidentally happens to be of mostly Spanish lineage), became sick and anemic when attempting a well thought out vegetarian diet.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:54 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,377 times
I just listen to my body. When I get a craving I pursue it. Usually my body craves veggies and fruits and whole grains. But, sometimes my body says "meat" and I need to eat it.

When I am not getting a serving of meat a day I start to feel weak and I begin to lose weight. This is not healthy because I'm already very skinny. I've tried large amounts of nut proteins etc.. and it just doesn't provide the satiation that meat does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living