Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:22 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,564 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Graham in a few weeks. We've heard so much about the famous North Carolina BBQ and are wondering the best places to go.

Here in South Florida beef ribs and baby backs reign supreme so we need a little education in the BBQ area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 12:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
If you are driving up from florida stop in Lexington off I 85 the barbecue capital of the world. There is over 18 bbq restaurants but the easiest to get to from the interstate is Jimmy's bbq off exit 91 turn left and it is
within 500 ft on the right.

I do not know of bbq restaurants in graham area and I will warn you it not beef barbecue but pork

Old 06-21-2007, 01:46 PM

I think I heard that Lexington was the BBQ capital. Thanks for the tips. We will check out your recommendation.

It's funny because growing up in Chicago, we only ate pork ribs. I think they are called St. Louis style. Anyway, it took along time to get used to the beef ones especially because of the baby back ones. As long as it tates good, that's all we are looking for.

Thanks.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:48 AM

583 posts, read 2,803,188 times
Definitely should go to Lexington! Mmmmm.... Yummy!

Old 06-27-2007, 12:17 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,658,517 times
Hursey's Barbecue in Burlington and Graham has been around for a long time and has a good reputation for serving Lexington-style BBQ.

I've seen the billboards on the interstate for BBQ & Ribs Company in Graham, but have no personal experience.

Also, you can check out Stamey's in Greensboro (one of the oldest in the state), Little Richards in Winston-Salem, and Carter Brothers in High Point. Carter Brothers has an all-you-can eat beef rib special once a week.

You might want to review the recommendations here:

NC Barbecue Musings

on the NC Barbecue Musings website.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:06 PM

59 posts, read 248,696 times
I have heard for years about the NC BBQ. When my wife & I were visiting back in April. One of the first things I had to do was get some BBQ. And I dug my teeth into my sandwich, and I couldn't have been more disappointed. I'm sorry! but you guy's have NO!!! idea what BBQ should taste like. Here in Chicaoland we would put your locale BBQ joints to shame. Nothing beats a pulled pork sandwich dripping in THICK! "not this thin watery stuff" BBQ sauce. I hope I didn't affend any BBQ lovers out there. Come to Chicago the next time you want a real BBQ samich.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Hursey's Barbecue in Burlington and Graham has been around for a long time and has a good reputation for serving Lexington-style BBQ.

I've seen the billboards on the interstate for BBQ & Ribs Company in Graham, but have no personal experience.

Also, you can check out Stamey's in Greensboro (one of the oldest in the state), Little Richards in Winston-Salem, and Carter Brothers in High Point. Carter Brothers has an all-you-can eat beef rib special once a week.

You might want to review the recommendations here:

NC Barbecue Musings

on the NC Barbecue Musings website.

Thanks for the website. We're moving next week and will start checking some of the places out as soon as we can.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:30 PM

75 posts, read 383,767 times
Make sure to check out the BBQ festival in Lexington this fall. I like Lexington style (Eastern) best. There are a ton of books and a PBS documentary on NC BBQ. Many of the books are avaiable in NC libraries. We almost always eat at Lexington Barbecue when we visit Lexington.

NC Travel: North Carolina Barbecue

NorthCarolina.com - North Carolina Barbeque: A Primer (broken link)

Remember, a plate of BBQ is different than a BBQ sandwich. Trays are for smaller appetites. As Lewis Grizzard used to say, if they serve alcohol and are open on Sundays it's not a real BBQ place.

I would suggest you watch the BBQ documentary. It's highly entertaining and informative.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:55 AM

57 posts, read 198,170 times
FYI - I grew up near Lexington and now live in Burlington. Hursey's Barbeque is not Lexington style barbeque. Hursey's is okay, but a little pricey compared to what you get at Smithfields in Mebane. I'm not a big fan of Smithfields either as they don't cook their barbeque onsite, but you get more BBQ for your money there than at Hurseys (IMHO).

I suggest trying Speedy's Barbeque in Lexington. They have very good sauce there, and if you like it chopped, they chop it finer than anywhere. You also get a lot of food for the money.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:56 PM

143 posts, read 485,611 times
Hursey's in Burlington & Graham both cook on-site (you can smell the yummy smells as you drive by if you're lucky enough to pass by while they're cooking). Smithfield's does indeed get you a lot for your money and both of these places have drive-through so you can bring it home! These are both "eastern" (vinegar based) style. I thought Lexington was "western" myself but I've only been here a year so will look it up again.
I believe that Stamey's is more western (tomato) style. You can also get some decent western BBQ at Natty Greene's pub in downtown Greensboro. In Burlington, there is a little place called Huey's on Church St.

Don't forget the slaw and hushpuppies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point