Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:09 AM

35 posts, read 65,803 times

Advertisements

I appreciate the advice about elkin. I reeally don't know anything about elkin. the drive up hw 21 sounds really nice. I'm a little familiar with sparta. we stayed in a cabin near new river park on wagonner access rd near jefferson last fall. went thru sparta on the way to mt airy. beautiful area but probably too cold and snowy in the winter for our tastes. elkin looks similar to mt airy, in the foothills. close to but not in the mountains. I like surry county having a countywide library system, that will keep the wife happy in either town. does anyone know of nice apts in elkin? I tried to look at the online paper, but its not available at the moment. how does elkin compare to mt airy? it looks about half the size. what about things to do? any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 11:16 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Elkin is a great little town, but I think Mt. Airy would be preferable based on the criteria you've given.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:31 PM

Elkin is a great little town, but I think Mt. Airy would be preferable based on the criteria you've given.
thank you for your response. it looks to me like mt airy has a little more to do and is also within an easy drive to winston-salem. the area around elkin down towards wilkesboro is pretty nice, and it is closer to charlotte. not sure how much ofa plus that is. the only thing I wonder about with mt airy is if it will be too conservative for me. I have no problem with people who go to church as long as they don't care if I do or don't. I prefer an open minded church, if one at all. I'm not pushy in my beliefs and don't want someone else's beliefs pushed on me. if the people there are live and let live I'm fine with it. if not, I may want to look elsewhere. any opinions about that anyone?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 PM

272 posts, read 786,675 times
I'm a complete non-believer (Buddhist on my best days) but you've got to remember where you live and not be offended by people who expect you to share their faith. I've found that people here are willing to respect you for not believing the way they do, but you've got to respect their beliefs in return. Do that and you get along fine. Besides, the sayings on church signs are often funny and thoughtful.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:12 AM

I have no problem with people wanting me to share thier faith. I'm always willing to listen, I know I'm not always right. as long as they aren't real pushy I'm fine with it.
I've noticed from the mt airy city-data site that some crime stats are fairly high. are those crimes concentrated in certain areas or all over town? burgulary and theft are what I'm talking about. any info is appreciated.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:18 PM

I want to say thank you to lovesmountains for the pictures of pine terrace apts in mt. airy. that place looks kind of nice with large pine trees all around. it is definately on our list.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:45 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead59 View Post
I have no problem with people wanting me to share thier faith. I'm always willing to listen, I know I'm not always right. as long as they aren't real pushy I'm fine with it.
I've noticed from the mt airy city-data site that some crime stats are fairly high. are those crimes concentrated in certain areas or all over town? burgulary and theft are what I'm talking about. any info is appreciated.
Theft & burgulary seem to be common in rural towns, but it could be worse. Some police departments have crime maps on the Internet that allows you plot high crime areas. Don't know if Mt Airy has this feature.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:00 AM

mt airy doesn't have online map of crime areas, but I called the police dept there and was able to get info about specific places I asked about. they would tell me how many times they were called to an area and why they were called. both apts I asked about, pine terrace and globe tobacco lofts, had a couple calls this year. pt was for dispute between same two people every time and globe was for illegally parked cars. pretty scary stuff!! they said they will give me same info about any place as long as I give them an address. couldn't get info about whether certain areas are good or bad. guess I'll just keep calling and plot my own map.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:26 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
^ Wow, that's pretty cool that they would take the time to do that. That's a small town for you-I'm sure a larger city's police department wouldn't bother.

Did you ask to speak with Barney Fife?

Old 10-11-2011, 07:05 PM

he was busy writing a ticket for jaywalking. maybe I can talk to him next time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point