Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 05:12 AM

31 posts, read 151,040 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the process of looking for a job in the Greensboro area, as well as Raleigh. We are researching as much as we can of course.

What sides of town are a good area, (schools, shopping, housing lot size) etc..as well as having a halfway decent commute to downtown Greensboro? Is it poss to have at the most a 30 min commute to downtown?

We are looking at spending b/t $200-275K in housing, but would love to have at least a 1/2 acre lot - 3children and 2 large dogs ....

These forums are wonderful, so thank you in advance if you can help direct us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,350 times
Smile Whic areas of Greensboro are ideal

Hi,
The NW school district (Oak Ridge, Summerfield, Stokesdale,and some areas of Colfax) is the highest rated in the area (Guilford County). We have 3 kids too and live in Summerfield (a lot more house for the money). You really never have to worry about a traffic jam here, but it seems to take at least 20 minutes to get anywhere. Where are you from? We moved here from Houston, and it was a little bit of a culture shock. ALet me know if I can help you with anything else.

Laurie

Old 10-18-2007, 09:07 AM

525 posts, read 2,123,552 times
If you want less than a 30 minute commute, you are looking at the right place. Pretty much anywhere in Guilford County is around 30 mins or less. Which I love. You can even live in Jamestown or High point and get downtown GSBO in less than 30.

It all depends on what kind of home you are looking for. The closer you get to downtown, of course, the older the house tends to be. So if you want newer, there's tons of stuff in Colfax, Summerfield, Oak Ridge. Lake Jeanette has newer homes and it's close to downtown, but you will need to dig for a larger lot cause most of those go 1/4 acre. Many new neighborhoods going up but in outlying areas.

Let me know some more details of what you are looking for and I will be glad to find the right home for you.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:49 PM

31 posts, read 151,040 times
Thanks for the info! We are from West Central Indiana (mid-size town) but originally from Indianapolis, so I'm not sure if we will experience culture shock any more than what we (I Mostly) felt when we moved to this town.

We are leaning towards newer homes (built w/in the past 5-10 yrs or earlier)..we don't necessarily want to be close to downtown, but I think a 30 min commute would work for my husband. Schools are very important-we have 1 in PRE-K, 1 in elementary and 1 in middle school. We would love to have a fairly nice size lot, and are trying to avoid a cookie cutter community if at all possible. I know this sounds like we want it all, but at this point in the search it doesn't hurt to look for it

This seems to be a full-time job in itself!

Old 10-18-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden22 View Post
Thanks for the info! We are from West Central Indiana (mid-size town) but originally from Indianapolis, so I'm not sure if we will experience culture shock any more than what we (I Mostly) felt when we moved to this town.

We are leaning towards newer homes (built w/in the past 5-10 yrs or earlier)..we don't necessarily want to be close to downtown, but I think a 30 min commute would work for my husband. Schools are very important-we have 1 in PRE-K, 1 in elementary and 1 in middle school. We would love to have a fairly nice size lot, and are trying to avoid a cookie cutter community if at all possible. I know this sounds like we want it all, but at this point in the search it doesn't hurt to look for it

This seems to be a full-time job in itself!
depends on what you mean by Culture Shock. We have plenty of culture, but you will find the accent takes a little getting used to. I'm from NC, and of redneck stock myself, so I have no problem.

PM me and let's get you set up to look in our MLS for homes that meet your criteria. Glad to help.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhometriad View Post
PM me and let's get you set up to look in our MLS for homes that meet your criteria. Glad to help.
I meant personal message me (off the board). Let me know if I can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point