Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2006, 09:06 AM

8 posts, read 57,669 times

Advertisements

My family may be relocating to Winston-Salem next year and I'm in need of information on good family areas. We have 3 kids (15,12&10) and I'm looking for a good school system. I currently reside in Mechanicsville,VA which has excellent schools and I'm apprehensive about the move since my kids are not young anymore. We visited the area a few weeks ago and we were happy with what we saw, but we are in the dark about where we should settle. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 11:37 AM

Default can anyone "please" give me some information!

I would greatly appreciate some info on Winston-Salem.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:22 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmc069 View Post
My family may be relocating to Winston-Salem next year and I'm in need of information on good family areas. We have 3 kids (15,12&10) and I'm looking for a good school system. I currently reside in Mechanicsville,VA which has excellent schools and I'm apprehensive about the move since my kids are not young anymore. We visited the area a few weeks ago and we were happy with what we saw, but we are in the dark about where we should settle. HELP!
I am copying and pasting some comments made earlier by Cassie - who knows this area well:

Mebane is nice, but growing fast in terms of development. Gosh, I remember when it was nothing but farmland. Mostly high volume production, tract homes now, but whatever suits your fancy :-) I like Burlington, a lot in fact, but it's a hike from there to most of the places where you'll be able to find suitable employment within the 1/2 hour driving range in the field you're looking for. Most of the work and the better pay will be in Raleigh and that's well over half an hour when you factor in traffic.

I agree with whoever suggested NW Guilford ( pronounced Giff-erd - <grin> )

We call it the 15 minute commute. 15 minutes to Greensboro, 15 minutes to High Point, realistically about 20 minutes to Winston- depending upon which part.

Winston is our least favorite city of the 3. There are parts that are very nice, parts that are little better than a ghetto, and overall, the traffic is much worse than in Greensboro or High Point, which traffic, especially around the Hanes mall area in Winston, reminds me of the gridlock of northern VA. Stoplight after stoplight where you crawl.

So I suggest that you look into the NW Guilford area. The town of Summerfield is charming, but a lot of Summerfield is booming and the higher prices are reflecting that. Oak Ridge is also terrific, but the average cost of a home is $334,000 - on an acre of land. ( Has to do with the watershed) The houses are very nicely built, but too rich for my blood, and not on enough land.

Stokesdale is about 7 miles from Oak Ridge. Most of Stokesdale is in Guilford ( again pronounced Giff-erd) but the part that is about 3 miles over the Guilford county line into Rockingham is considerably less expensive, both in housing costs and in real estate taxes -- Guilford's just seem to keep going up.

Stokesdale is rural ( and I do mean rural shug') but close to amenities, and within the 15 minute commute range that many people so love. The boom hasn't really hit there yet, so the opportunity to buy at lower prices still exists, plus it gives you 3 cities to work in, rather than just one.

High Point has extremely affordable housing, is really easy to find your way around in, plus if you so desire, you can make arrangements to rent out your home twice a year when the Furniture Market is underway. That's when 120,000 plus people descend upon the town, and you might want to rent out your house to some of the furniture buyers/ vendors and go away on vacation. People do that because it more than pays for taxes on their house for the year and they don't desire to be there when the Furniture Market is underway anyway.

Anyway, these are a few options to think about. Best wishes in making your decision.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:41 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,100 times
Default Winston-Salem

Thanks, Love Mountains!

Here is some additional info from other forum members:

To the original poster and others who would like to read these, cut between the URLS and paste into your browsers.

High Schools in Winston-Salem:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ton-salem.html

---------------

General views about Winston-Salem and the annexation issue

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...igh-point.html

Regards,

Cassie

Old 10-24-2006, 12:54 PM

Thanks for your help! I didn't find those post....guess it was too far back.

Linda

Old 10-24-2006, 03:56 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,100 times
Default Winston-Salem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmc069 View Post
Thanks for your help! I didn't find those post....guess it was too far back.

Linda
You're most welcome. Here's another thread that was even farther back.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...alem-area.html

Also for more information about the areas that Winston-Salem annexed:

http://www.co.forsyth.nc.us/Tax/taxbill.aspx

"WS Annexation Information:
All parcels in the areas annexed by the City of WS as of Sept. 30, 2006 have been flagged on GeoData and Tax Billing Online Services. Realtors, attorneys and purchasers of real estate should take careful note of parcels within the annexed areas, as unique taxation issues apply and these taxes are a lien on the real estate."

There is a contact telephone number on the right hand side of the page.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-24-2006 at 04:34 PM..

Old 10-24-2006, 06:56 PM

26 posts, read 121,281 times
I live in Davie County, 15 minutes west of Winston Salem. I am partial to the Western part of Forsyth County, Lewisville, Clemmons, and of course Davie county. They are small towns with excellent schools, close to WS, 10-15 minutes to the mall, less traffic than eastern Forsyth County imo. Laid back but still plenty to do. What kind of activities are your kids in to? I know my 12 yo daughter runs me ragged with different things she's involved in.
Good Luck!

Old 10-24-2006, 08:00 PM

232 posts, read 1,722,402 times
I will be moving to somewhere in the W-S area early next year if all goes as planned. One thing that I would like to know about are stront youth sports programs. I have an 11 year old who is very involved in baseball here in Ga. We would like to find a strong youth league or even a select or travel team for him to look into. What are the public parks (youth sports oriented) like in the area? Any info on Youth Athletic Leagues.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:10 AM

26 posts, read 121,281 times
Try these links for youth baseball http://www.swfll.org/ or http://www.baseball-links.com/links/Youth_Baseball/

Old 10-25-2006, 06:36 AM

Thanks to all who responded! It's so helpful to get info from people who know the areas and have experienced different situations. People contact rather than just internet info is always better!

TO HOUSEHUNTER: My children are currently involved in Little League football, cheering and baseball. Have you had any experience with League's in the areas that you spoke of?

Thanks,
Linda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point