Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 08:27 PM

144 posts, read 264,320 times

Advertisements

Hi. Moving to GSO in the summertime and starting to look for apartments.
Ideally we want to spend no more than $500 on rent, but a little over is acceptable.
Ideally we would like to be as close to UNCG as possible, but all I'm finding are 2Br student housing.

The only place I've looked at so far is Hidden Lakes off of W Market and N College Rd. Any experience with these apartments or knowledge of the area? Originally I was attracted by the reviews but then looked back and realized that most of the positive reviews were made within the span of 1 week and 10 of them were made on the same day. Otherwise everything seemed good to me while touring.

The rent at Serenity Apartments (formerly Autumn Ridge) off of Pisgah Church Rd and N Church St is also within budget but since it's fairly new there's not much info/reviews on the place. I simply drove through this time and while the grounds are nice, the surrounding area is questionable.

These two places fit our budget, but they are about a 20 min. drive from UNCG.

Any recommendations or places to avoid? All advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 10:05 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
There are two converted motels on W Market for students, one is the District on W Market and the name of the other escapes me. Both are within walking distance of UNC-G
There is a newer place called the Province on Spring Garden, again, within walking distance of UNC-G
Do a search for Lee St there are student apartments along there also.
Sorry for not knowing the names.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:07 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMission View Post
<$500 Greensboro Apartments for College Couple

Hi. Moving to GSO in the summertime and starting to look for apartments.
Ideally we want to spend no more than $500 on rent
...but all I'm finding are 2Br
Unless the term couple = legally married (with the mutual legal liability that means)
no Landlord with any sense is going to rent a unit with fewer bedrooms than people moving in.
I never would have.

Don't care a whit about who sleeps with who or what they might do with the second BR
(study, hobby, whatever) but WHEN "you've
lost that lovin' feeling" the LL needs no extra drama
or premature turnovers due to the tenants being in too tight quarters.

So... reconsider, stop fighting the wheel, think about the extra space...
and find a nice 2BR unit. But it's not gonna happen for $500.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:46 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,426,286 times
There are houses near campus that are divided up into apartments. Drive around the neighborhoods at the end of the semester and there will be signs in the yards.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
There are two converted motels on W Market for students, one is the District on W Market and the name of the other escapes me. Both are within walking distance of UNC-G
There is a newer place called the Province on Spring Garden, again, within walking distance of UNC-G
Do a search for Lee St there are student apartments along there also.
Sorry for not knowing the names.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
There are houses near campus that are divided up into apartments. Drive around the neighborhoods at the end of the semester and there will be signs in the yards.
Thanks but I'm looking for apartments close to UNCG, not glorified dormitories. Typically these places offer decent rates for 2 BR or more with the intent of splitting rent with strangers. What I don't see however are many 1 BR options, let alone affordable ones.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:55 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Thanks but I'm looking for apartments close to UNCG, not glorified dormitories. Typically these places offer decent rates for 2 BR or more with the intent of splitting rent with strangers. What I don't see however are many 1 BR options, let alone affordable ones.
A link to The District. You might be able to find a loft or condo (fat chance) for your money downtown. Also there are small, older apartment buildings in the immediate area. Good luck with your search:
District at West Market-Student Housing Apartments Apartments For Rent in Greensboro, North Carolina - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

Old 03-14-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Unless the term couple = legally married (with the mutual legal liability that means)
no Landlord with any sense is going to rent a unit with fewer bedrooms than people moving in.
I never would have.

Don't care a whit about who sleeps with who or what they might do with the second BR
(study, hobby, whatever) but WHEN "you've
lost that lovin' feeling" the LL needs no extra drama
or premature turnovers due to the tenants being in too tight quarters.

So... reconsider, stop fighting the wheel, think about the extra space...
and find a nice 2BR unit. But it's not gonna happen for $500.
Thanks for the thought. Indeed, couples need their own individual space every now and then.
But we've lived with each other for the past 7 months and have done fine so far.
What I'm not understanding though is your logic concerning unmarried couples. If it's about money, then it seems that would amount to less business for the landlord. Most tenants would turn away, feeling cheated by some 2 BR requirement specifically tailored for couples that are not legally recognized by God & the good ol' state of North Carolina.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
A link to The District. You might be able to find a loft or condo (fat chance) for your money downtown. Also there are small, older apartment buildings in the immediate area. Good luck with your search:
District at West Market-Student Housing Apartments Apartments For Rent in Greensboro, North Carolina - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com
Thanks. Right now I'm looking at Latham Park Manor. The buildings seem old but it's close to campus. I will check them out when I'm in the area.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:45 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
...it seems that would amount to less business for the landlord.
Nope. It's about longevity (at fair rates) with minimal drama.
Which is how a LL will gauge business success.

As to the money...
If you can afford a ONE bedroom then you can afford the increment for TWO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point