Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 09:24 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Short-sighted thinking wouldn't you agree? Businesses from elsewhere in the state or country can be pitched to locate here.

They can be pitched up and down all day and night. But they're not going to sign up for a speculative 25 floor office tower that wants a 70% leased out building. First, that would be a huge relocation. Most likely incentives would be involved. If a company relocates to Greensboro in a speculative building, it's going to be a 7 floor or so building that would be built within 2 years or so or existing space or available space within 2 years. Usually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 03:01 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Short-sighted thinking wouldn't you agree? Businesses from elsewhere in the state or country can be pitched to locate here.
Most, if not all, companies looking to relocate are going to want immediate occupancy. They aren't going to wait years for a building to be built.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:50 AM

85 posts, read 168,214 times
I noticed the other day construction and renovation beginning on the "Lee Comer Multiplex" at 509 S. Edgeworth St. There was also a banner displayed on the side of the building announcing the multiple restaurants and retail opening in Fall 2016. I thought this project was dead in the water but obviously it is moving forward at this time. Here is an old article to help refresh the memory of this particular project.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blo...ating-her.html

Old 11-07-2015, 07:39 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
They can be pitched up and down all day and night. But they're not going to sign up for a speculative 25 floor office tower that wants a 70% leased out building. First, that would be a huge relocation. Most likely incentives would be involved. If a company relocates to Greensboro in a speculative building, it's going to be a 7 floor or so building that would be built within 2 years or so or existing space or available space within 2 years. Usually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Most, if not all, companies looking to relocate are going to want immediate occupancy. They aren't going to wait years for a building to be built.
Both of you missed the point. I wasn't referring to the task of occupancy rather the omission of recruiting companies from elsewhere.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Both of you missed the point. I wasn't referring to the task of occupancy rather the omission of recruiting companies from elsewhere.
Who says there being omitted? My point is, you can attempt to recruit new companies from out of the area to Roy's new building all you want, but your chances of finding one who will sign up for a building years away from reality is almost zero.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:28 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Who says there being omitted? My point is, you can attempt to recruit new companies from out of the area to Roy's new building all you want, but your chances of finding one who will sign up for a building years away from reality is almost zero.

On top of setting the bar to 70%.

For a building that tall, I would think 30% leased out to start construction would be much more realistic. 70% occupancy just sounds like he's not serious about it to begin with, to me.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
There = they're

Old 11-08-2015, 09:01 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
On top of setting the bar to 70%.

For a building that tall, I would think 30% leased out to start construction would be much more realistic. 70% occupancy just sounds like he's not serious about it to begin with, to me.
You're pretty much stating what a lot of people are thinking. There are so many reasons why this project is not feasible or credible. Carroll even stated that this project is a dream of his.

I really don't see how any lender is going to be willing to lend him the $100 million+ that it will take to build such a tower in a market like Greensboro. I just can't see it happening.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:18 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Go back and read gsoboi's post where I bolded, he only talks about Triad companies and doubts they would locate. You're making this waaaay too difficult.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Go back and read gsoboi's post where I bolded, he only talks about Triad companies and doubts they would locate. You're making this waaaay too difficult.
Difficult? How so? His point (and mine) stands...your supposition that companies from outside G'boro can be the entities that pre-lease enough space to trigger construction is not a likely scenario. Its far more likely (though still unlikely) that a local company or companies will pre-lease that much space.

Thats actually pretty simple. Not difficult at all. Assuming one has any knowledge of real estate and economic development, that is.

By the way, it wasn't gsoboi's post you bolded, it was Charlotte485's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point