Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 03:06 PM

743 posts, read 826,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
I'm sorry I don't remember saying just Greensboro I was talking about the triad in general the area. I don't think you did any research you just want to argue it looks like. doesn't change the fact that from the triad you can reach around 7million people in around a hour. I live in whitsett and can get downtown raliegh in 50mins and downtown Charlotte in 1hr 10mins do it once a week for both. Charlotte residents can not get to a metro big as ralieghs in a hour matter fact they can't get to a metro larger then 1million people in a hour 10mins. I love Charlotte but that's a fact.
You live closer to Burlington& you're telling me you can get to downtown Charlotte in a little over a hour? It takes a hour to get from High Point to downtown especially with the 12 plus miles of construction on I85 in Cabarrus county
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 03:18 PM

239 posts, read 306,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
You live closer to Burlington& you're telling me you can get to downtown Charlotte in a little over a hour? It takes a hour to get from High Point to downtown especially with the 12 plus miles of construction on I85 in Cabarrus county
I live right off 85 and I'm telling you it takes me 1hr 10 to get downtown Charlotte with no traffic of course and that's going my normal speed of 75-80 lol. most of my friends live in Charlotte so I make the trip quite often, and I work in the raliegh Durham Cary area that's why I made the comment. I grew up in Baltimore and spent most of my years in and around Baltimore and dc That's why I moved to the triad to get the same type of feeling being in between 2 big metros though not as close but I can still party in Charlotte one night and then raliegh the next. Coming from Baltimore and dc I didn't feel like Charlotte alone had enough to offer me to keep me entertained I still feel that way. That's why I love the triad

Old 06-01-2017, 03:18 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
oh ok then we are on the same page lol. I was just saying that to say normally metro areas with in a hour of two other major metro areas like raliegh and Charlotte will see a lot of growth just like Columbia my did. If I was a a huge company I'd want my headquarters in the middle of 7million people in one of the fastest growing states. Only other area you can get that close to so many people is probably ny or Cali and a few others.
I don't think Columbia, MD is the best example here. It is a master-planned community and the biggest employers in the area were already there before the "city" was established.

Even so, most companies want to actually be IN Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham, not trying to pull people from both areas 1½-2 hours away in Greensboro or Winston.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:27 PM

743 posts, read 826,419 times
Quote:
I live right off 85 and I'm telling you it takes me 1hr 10 to get downtown Charlotte with no traffic of course and that's going my normal speed of 75-80 lol. most of my friends live in Charlotte so I make the trip quite often, and I work in the raliegh Durham Cary area that's why I made the comment. I grew up in Baltimore and spent most of my years in and around Baltimore and dc That's why I moved to the triad to get the same type of feeling being in between 2 big metros though not as close but I can still party in Charlotte one night and then raliegh the next. Coming from Baltimore and dc I didn't feel like Charlotte alone had enough to offer me to keep me entertained I still feel that way. That's why I love the triad
You must be coming real late at night or early morning. I have family in High Point & drive 85 on a regular basis & have a hard time doing it in a hour even if I have my foot on pedal real hard.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:04 PM

239 posts, read 306,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't think Columbia, MD is the best example here. It is a master-planned community and the biggest employers in the area were already there before the "city" was established.

Even so, most companies want to actually be IN Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham, not trying to pull people from both areas 1½-2 hours away in Greensboro or Winston.
I used Columbia because a lot of people live there and enjoy both cities that's all. And it takes a hour and a half to get to sc not to Charlotte and def not 2hrs. Just like in traffic which it always is it takes 45mins to get to dc and baltimore from Columbia. personally the triad is already way larger then Columbia so it was just a example.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:44 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,056,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Yes, but those companies didn't recently relocate to those locations. Most grew organically from small companies in those locations. And when companies relocate their headquarters, they move to larger cities with better talent and transportation. Look at Aetna, which recently announced plans to leave its long time home in Hartford, CT. They are going to either Boston or NYC, not a medium sized city.
Well essentially what we have here is a new company. And for what it's worth, I had understated the number of jobs being advertised for Arch. It's still mostly high-level jobs (which have to be in place before you hire the mid and lower level jobs), but they are starting to hire lower level employees. Overall, they seem to have about 15-20 active postings. It shouldn't be at all surprising if they have about 300-400 employees by the time the A-Loft development (potentially Project 561?) is built in 2020?

BTW, Altria is an example of a company that moved HQ from a major city (NYC) to a not so major city (Richmond) off the top of my head.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:00 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Well essentially what we have here is a new company. And for what it's worth, I had understated the number of jobs being advertised for Arch. It's still mostly high-level jobs (which have to be in place before you hire the mid and lower level jobs), but they are starting to hire lower level employees. Overall, they seem to have about 15-20 active postings. It shouldn't be at all surprising if they have about 300-400 employees by the time the A-Loft development (potentially Project 561?) is built in 2020?
No, its not a new company. Arch bought United Guaranty, which has been in G'boro for a long time. Through United guaranty, they already have 600 employees in G'boro. I hope they won't reduce that by half over the next 3 years. I'm not saying there won't be some incremental, organic growth over the next several years, I'm saying its highly doubtful that the entire C-Suite, and hundreds of accompanying jobs, are going to to be relocated into G'boro.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't remember saying just Greensboro I was talking about the triad in general the area. I don't think you did any research you just want to argue it looks like. doesn't change the fact that from the triad you can reach around 7million people in around a hour. I live in whitsett and can get downtown raliegh in 50mins and downtown Charlotte in 1hr 10mins do it once a week for both. Charlotte residents can not get to a metro big as ralieghs in a hour matter fact they can't get to a metro larger then 1million people in a hour 10mins. I love Charlotte but that's a fact.
Well, you're quite wrong. Again. I have done the research, and you can to, if you want, as opposed to just making up numbers Here's a site where you can find out the population within a radius of any given point:

CAPS10C - Missouri Census Data Center

Within 50 miles of the center of the Triad (a reasonable proxy for a 1 hour drive), the population is barely over 2 million. You have to go to 100 miles in order to reach 7 million, which as you said, is way more than an hour

Whitsett to Charlotte is 103 miles, by the way. No way you're doing that in 70 minutes.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
BTW, Altria is an example of a company that moved HQ from a major city (NYC) to a not so major city (Richmond) off the top of my head.
LOL. Great example. Here's a quote from a newspaper article at the time:

"The relocation won't bring many employees to the Richmond area -- company officials have said only a small number made the move from New York."

Virtually all Altria employees were already in Richmond. This is the type of "paper" HQ move I'm talking about.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:29 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
I used Columbia because a lot of people live there and enjoy both cities that's all. And it takes a hour and a half to get to sc not to Charlotte and def not 2hrs. Just like in traffic which it always is it takes 45mins to get to dc and baltimore from Columbia. personally the triad is already way larger then Columbia so it was just a example.
It depends on where in the Triad you live and where you're going in metro Charlotte or the Triangle. But companies aren't going to set up shop in the Triad in order to draw people from Charlotte and the Triangle; they will just move to either metro. Companies move to the Triad for the Triad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point