Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 AM

7 posts, read 20,746 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I'm a bank manager currently living in Farmville, Virginia. I've got an interview with the Kayser-Roth Corp. tomorrow (3/14) and the prospect of being hired looks great! From what I heard over the phone, they almost want to give me the job! I decided to apply to jobs in this area because of two things.

1) I was born in Rocky Mount, NC and have fond memories of living there as a child.

2) My fiance has completed her Biology degree and would like to attain a position with LabCorp.

Can anyone provide some general information as to rental and utility prices in and around the Burlington area? We're both willing to commute up to twenty minutes if need be. We would also prefer something somewhat secluded and/or with a fenced yard in a residential neighborhood. We have a year old collie pup and would like to let him outside for fresh air and playtime. After a few years and some saving, we'll eventually purchase our first home. From what research I've done, home prices don't look to be too expensive in this area.

I look forward to coming home to Carolina. Being born a Tar Heel, I miss it. Thankfully, we'll have live baseball and the Hurricanes in the area, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 10:37 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
if i can be honest, i go into Burlington weekly, and i am not too fond of the city. there is one nice part to it, Davis & church streets and the downtown area, but it is a very small area compared to the rest. if its for work i say YES, and also for shopping. but for living, i much prefer other areas...but that is just my opinion

Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
if i can be honest, i go into Burlington weekly, and i am not too fond of the city. there is one nice part to it, Davis & church streets and the downtown area, but it is a very small area compared to the rest. if its for work i say YES, and also for shopping. but for living, i much prefer other areas...but that is just my opinion
Thanks for the honest info. I expected to get a cross-range of responses to my question. I just got off the phone with a really nice, older real estate agent. I asked him about typical housing costs in the area. He stated that I could expect to find a two-bedroom single story home for rent around $450-$500 a month. Does that sound roughly correct?

He also mentioned that I should look for a home south of the railroad that runs through Burlington due to less congestion and a cleaner environment. Would that also be generally correct?

Thanks again for your information!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 AM

well i am not up on the rents around here, but that sounds about right. as far as south of the tracks, i am not THAT familiar with the area. i only know that nice area i mentioned and also the main drag where i shop. i only know what i have seen and dont pay attention to what street i am on--if you know what i mean?
if i can ask, what would your price range be, and if you COULD buy a home, how much would you spend?

Old 03-13-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
well i am not up on the rents around here, but that sounds about right. as far as south of the tracks, i am not THAT familiar with the area. i only know that nice area i mentioned and also the main drag where i shop. i only know what i have seen and dont pay attention to what street i am on--if you know what i mean?
if i can ask, what would your price range be, and if you COULD buy a home, how much would you spend?
Now that's the $64,000 question!

I'll be honest... I honestly have no idea. I'm 25 and my fiance is 22. We've lived in a one bedroom, half-bath apartment for almost three years and are paying $500 before utilities. We're absolutely disgusted with where we live and are VERY anxious to get to North Carolina. Farmville, Virginia is a dirty, racist, partisan place that should be picked clean by vultures.

When it comes to buying our first home... I suspect something reasonable for only two people and a dog would run between $60K and $100K. I could be wrong in that estimate because I know nothing about buying a house.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:41 AM

well let me make a recommendation. if you plan to come down to check out the area, do youself a favor. come over and check out Mebane--that is where we live. we are 10 miles from downtown burlington, so commute to work would be no big deal--traffic is not bad.
we rented for a couple of months here in a new complex with one bedroom for $695 before utilities, but we had pool and gym.
if you would like to buy a home rather than "wasting" more money on rent--you may actually be able to!!
get to a bank and get a preapproval letter and see how much you will qualify for. right now, there are homes here in mebane for sale for between 50k and 125k and i know for a fact you can get a NEW home for starting at 140k
just some things to think about (I get nothing for this, i am not an agent or anything).
you never know unless you look around--you might like it here.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
well let me make a recommendation. if you plan to come down to check out the area, do youself a favor. come over and check out Mebane--that is where we live. we are 10 miles from downtown burlington, so commute to work would be no big deal--traffic is not bad.
we rented for a couple of months here in a new complex with one bedroom for $695 before utilities, but we had pool and gym.
if you would like to buy a home rather than "wasting" more money on rent--you may actually be able to!!
get to a bank and get a preapproval letter and see how much you will qualify for. right now, there are homes here in mebane for sale for between 50k and 125k and i know for a fact you can get a NEW home for starting at 140k
just some things to think about (I get nothing for this, i am not an agent or anything).
you never know unless you look around--you might like it here.
Wow.. thanks for the info! A ten mile commute is totally reasonable and we'd have no problem with making such a short drive. We want to buy a home, but feel that spending a year or so scoping the area out would be our best bet. How are the residents of the area? Right now with Farmville we contend with loads of rednecks and public assistance leeches that only think of themselves. Most people are also very selfish and rude! Are you and your neighbors much nicer? (I suspect you are.)

Old 03-13-2008, 12:10 PM

well my direct neighbors and i are actually from Ny and NJ, and yes we are much nicer--lol
but seriously, i obviously have to leave my subdivision to shop etc, and everyone in this town as well as burlington have been very nice.
this area has people from many backgrounds. there is a good mix of caucasian, african americans, and hispanics. and in this town, people have a good sense of pride of ownership. they seem to keep their homes and yards nice etc. overall.
i like the area a lot and i really like Mebane. it has a cute downtown--albeit--it does need some more life.
but the best thing is, i think we finally made a good move because we are in on the ground floor and this town is growing. we are getting a new supermarket in a couple of months, and new surgical clinic, an outlet mall--and possibly a new mall.
the area is going to go up in value, so now is the time to get in --no pressure--lol
but in all honesty, you have to do what you are comfy with. rent first and look around if that suits you better. but if it i was in your place, weather i was renting or buying, i would pick mebane over burlington as a place to live.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:57 PM

I'll take your Mebane suggestion under advisement. If I manage to find a decent place there, I'd certainly not hesitate to lock it in. Now answer me this... is it pronounced MEB-IN or ME-BANE? I don't want to sound like a poser when I come down there!

Old 03-13-2008, 03:33 PM

it's pronounced meb-in...you had it right the first time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point