Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:26 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,302 times

Advertisements

Have read a few articles recently that due to the economy & rising jet fuel cost...that airline service is gonna be greatly cut and possibally discontinued in some airports...and GSO was mentioned.

That will hit the Triad's economy hard...and people would have to drive to either Charlotte or Raleigh to catch a flight. That would be horrible and would probably effect future business's relocating to the Triad.

What do you guys/gals think?

Hope it doesn't happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 11:47 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,582,814 times
Fuel cost may be bad but PTI has weathered the storm before when things were much worse in the 1970s. There will always be airport service in Greensboro. The region is too big to go without it. PTI has always served as an alternative to RDU and Charlotte/Douglas where its more expensive to fly out of.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:00 PM

138 posts, read 787,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Fuel cost may be bad but PTI has weathered the storm before when things were much worse in the 1970s. There will always be airport service in Greensboro. The region is too big to go without it. PTI has always served as an alternative to RDU and Charlotte/Douglas where its more expensive to fly out of.
I hope you're right about that. We've been considering relocating to either Clemmons, WS or K'ville and not having an airport nearby would be a big deterrent.

I was bummed when Skybus went under, but that wasn't really a huge surprise, IMO.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:37 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,302 times
I don't think it will happen either...but I have read more than one article recently. I grew up in that area...and you are right...the area is to large for service to stop. Was surprised that they would even consider stopping service at GSO.

Airfares have dropped tremendously out of Charlotte now conpared to years back.

Can't find the article...but it was on Charlotte.com yesterday & digtriad.com & wraltv.com

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 07-10-2008 at 01:54 PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 07:52 PM

247 posts, read 998,061 times
I think they will cut a number of flights but I can't imagine them shutting the airport down completely. Especially since they are building the Fed Ex hub right next to it.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:05 PM

799 posts, read 3,227,518 times
Yes, I agree - I don't see a closing happening anytime in the near future. Especially since they have recently been improving the roads to the airport!

Old 07-14-2008, 03:49 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippster View Post
I think they will cut a number of flights but I can't imagine them shutting the airport down completely. Especially since they are building the Fed Ex hub right next to it.
And HondaJet.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:21 PM

Personally, I'd like to see a whole complete system of trolleys, trains, and trams, and the like in Greensboro. I mean, the name is GREENSboro, why not start going with that? Let's be the spearhead of environmental technology. I say, bring it here, bring it on.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:35 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,582,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
Personally, I'd like to see a whole complete system of trolleys, trains, and trams, and the like in Greensboro. I mean, the name is GREENSboro, why not start going with that? Let's be the spearhead of environmental technology. I say, bring it here, bring it on.
I agree. Greensboro should have been persuing streetcars/trolleys a while back. I still envision a downtown streetcar line connecting UNCG with NC A&T. a secondary lines forming a downtown loop and connection Fisher Park, Aycock, College Hill and Southside to downtown. Winston-Salem is already persuing a streetcar line connecting PTRP in downtown with Baptist Hospital.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
I agree. Greensboro should have been persuing streetcars/trolleys a while back. I still envision a downtown streetcar line connecting UNCG with NC A&T. a secondary lines forming a downtown loop and connection Fisher Park, Aycock, College Hill and Southside to downtown. Winston-Salem is already persuing a streetcar line connecting PTRP in downtown with Baptist Hospital.
What a great idea!!!! I sure wish there was more of that sort of thing. You know, in Houston they have these walkway systems between the buildings downtown so no one has suffer through walking through the tortuous heat. Practically a biodome....heehee This city needs some vision, or rather people who will act on it and get the communication going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point