Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 11:24 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,474 times

Advertisements

My oldest 2 children just left the nest and I'm down to 1. As a single mother I've not shopped in years only picking up a piece now and then at a mall or Wal-mart.

I'm ready! I need a new wardrobe but like the classic looks as I'm not into trends. I'm a size 4/6. Did I mention I'm a single mom? Money is a factor as I only can spend maybe 1-2k but don't want to end up with just 3 pieces.

Where is a good place to shop for variety, quality and price?

I'm looking for the basic black suit, little black dress, jean, business casual outfits and then casual pieces.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 01:18 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,554 times
Ann Taylor Loft, Talbot's, Dillard's, Macy's, Belk, Banana Republic. I would go to all of those stores.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:54 PM

210 posts, read 507,631 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
My oldest 2 children just left the nest and I'm down to 1. As a single mother I've not shopped in years only picking up a piece now and then at a mall or Wal-mart.

I'm ready! I need a new wardrobe but like the classic looks as I'm not into trends. I'm a size 4/6. Did I mention I'm a single mom? Money is a factor as I only can spend maybe 1-2k but don't want to end up with just 3 pieces.

Where is a good place to shop for variety, quality and price?

I'm looking for the basic black suit, little black dress, jean, business casual outfits and then casual pieces.

Thanks!
To save some money and still have some fashion try out Cato's.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:59 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,474 times
Anyone ever hear of Friendly Center? Was searching online and it came up...stores like Chicos, Coldwater Creek...

anyone ever shop at these stores? What did you like or dislike about their merchandise?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:00 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
Coldwater Creek and Belk are my two favorite places to shop locally. I like a few things at Chico's but some of their patterns are a bit too busy. Coldwater Creek runs the gamut from dressy to casual and business casual...not the best place for suits. Talbots is a great place for classic suits and classic casual. IMO, however, I think they've gotten a bit stale, but I've been looking at/buying at Talbot's for many years. I usually look for the sales at all these stores. (I'm mid -50's professional female).

Old 02-17-2009, 06:15 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,323,915 times
I am a fan of Stein Mart. They have a great selection of clothes ranging from semi-formal, business, casual etc. I love the rich colors they offer and classic pieces. I am big on mixing pieces to make my wardrobe go further. One is located off of Battleground Ave and there is one in High Point right at the intersection of Eastchester/Wendover Ave. Good luck and have fun shopping! Nothing beats retail therapy!!

Old 02-17-2009, 11:25 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,554 times
Yes, Stein Mart is a good one too. I shop there on occasion.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:24 PM

210 posts, read 507,631 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Anyone ever hear of Friendly Center? Was searching online and it came up...stores like Chicos, Coldwater Creek...

anyone ever shop at these stores? What did you like or dislike about their merchandise?
I LOVE Coldwater Creek. Last year I bought some nice skirts in brown and black. I love them and get lots of compliments when I wear them. I have quite a few knit tops from them too, and even though they are over 4 years old, they are still in great condition.

Chico's, Coldwater Creek, Ann Taylor Loft, and SteinMart are all also in the Thruway plaza in Winston-Salem, right off the Stratford exit on the Business 40.

I've been to the Talbots outlet in Hingham, and it was really good on price. Their design and much of the technical design staff have moved to NYC instead of being in MA, so this has probably affected their designs, but hopefully not the fit.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:26 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,029 times
I love Chicos. Very expensive if not shopping sales. Ebay is a great place to find gently worn and even new brand name clothing.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,098 times
Default shops for the expensive, great taste..CHEAP!

Hi, I hear you girlfriend!. I would recommend, Steinmart, TJ Maxx,Sales in the Mall(yeck!), There are good stores for certain things. I don't do Ann Taylor anymore, the cutting has lost it's finesse. Steinmart for clothes, (getting phone book!) Maax (robinhood rd) CLOTHES. mARSHALLS (SILAS CREEK RD) SHOES...(EXCELLENT). gOODWILL (JONESTOWN) JEANS..$4.50
HOPE THAT HELPS, FROM ANOTHER TRANSPLANT, ..aUSTRALIA!
Warmly, K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point