Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 PM

15 posts, read 63,647 times

Advertisements

We posted another thread earlier this month on places to live..thanks to all who've helped!! We are flying into WS for a site visit, see the area, all that jazz...any advice on focal areas? Nice neighborhoods, o/s the airport flying zone, with access to parks, everyday shopping, and central to both GSO and WS? Where are the better schools? Looking at this move as longer term, and want to find that right mix of neighbors, schools, and amenties...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 01:12 AM

799 posts, read 3,227,518 times
Must go to Krispy Kreme when the giant red neon sign is on with "Hot And Fresh Now" you will just DIE they are so good, comes right off the line. Unbelievably delicious. When are you all coming?

Old 03-24-2009, 01:14 AM

799 posts, read 3,227,518 times
Oh - a neighborhood that is older and well established, lots of people love it is the Robin Hood area in Winston-Salem. It's north or northwest. Also take a look at Wake Forest University in W-S (yes, they are NOT in Wake Forest! lol)

Old 03-24-2009, 01:23 PM

62 posts, read 187,997 times
My wife and I are fairly new transplants to the W-S area, but we do have some ideas of areas. Of course not as much as people that have been here a while but during our home search we saw quite a few areas...just some things you might want to consider. Property taxes are considerably higher in Forsyth County compared to others. Having said that, I also "agree" that the Robin Hood/Sherwood Forest area is super nice. Other areas include Meadowlark Glenn and Century Oaks. You may might to consider looking around the Clemmons area. We ended up in a development called Oak Valley in Advance. Hope that this helps you and best to you. Oh...we dont have any children so cant be of much assistance as far as the school issue goes.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:34 PM

164 posts, read 357,864 times
Good luck, Gipper!

Will you give us a report when you return?

Enjoy yourself!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:24 AM

525 posts, read 2,123,552 times
Greensboro is awfully nice too.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:17 PM

10 posts, read 28,566 times
What is the area considered around the 27104 zip code?

Old 03-29-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
Oh - a neighborhood that is older and well established, lots of people love it is the Robin Hood area in Winston-Salem. It's north or northwest. Also take a look at Wake Forest University in W-S (yes, they are NOT in Wake Forest! lol)
Okay, ibeg4sushi et al, we spent this weekend in WS...just got back to OC...first, it rained ALL weekend, so it was hard to truly explore, but we drove around downtown, went through the historical area, performing arts, etc --- actually, better than expected. As for food, lots o' chains, but did have dinner at Ryan's, Village Tavern, and Ichiban (Sushi lovers as well!!) --- first, Ichiban is NO SOCAL sushi -- okay salmon, decent tuna, terrible mackerel --- rolls were too small and too much rice. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Ryan's was very good --- village tavern was a lil' chainy, but overall, nice atmosphere and good food. It looked like there are quite a few cool spots that are under the radar or known by locals that we did not have time to hit in WS. We did geta cheesesteak and meatball parm the first night (late arrival) -- pretty good, and gave us a taste of out time in Philly. On the housing, went through Buena Vista, Sherwood Forest, BrookBerry Farms, Greenbriar, and a few other smaller developments. The two schools we visited -- Jefferson and Meadowlark -- were awesome, and my wife was very happy with them and proximity to the neighborhoods. This area, in general, seemed to be on point with what we were looking for --- sad, but true, we did not venture to GSO -- not enough time, and we stayed with the best schools on GreatSchools.Net. I have to admit, and we were forewarned, it was a bit difficult yo depart from the SOCAL frame of mind into WS pace. Overall, it was a great visit, but we (i) need to vet out some more details on the job front -- if this works, I think WS is a go, and we will work on our southern manners, driving skills, and overall "toned down liberal thinking"!! Kidding!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headdr View Post
My wife and I are fairly new transplants to the W-S area, but we do have some ideas of areas. Of course not as much as people that have been here a while but during our home search we saw quite a few areas...just some things you might want to consider. Property taxes are considerably higher in Forsyth County compared to others. Having said that, I also "agree" that the Robin Hood/Sherwood Forest area is super nice. Other areas include Meadowlark Glenn and Century Oaks. You may might to consider looking around the Clemmons area. We ended up in a development called Oak Valley in Advance. Hope that this helps you and best to you. Oh...we dont have any children so cant be of much assistance as far as the school issue goes.
Thanks for the input, headdr...when you refer to "considerably higher property taxes" in forsyth, how much should I be considering? I am figuring 1.3724 per $100 or 0.013724% of purchase price...am I missing something? Also, I am figuring $700/yr for auto tax on 2 cars (2006 infiniti & 2005 A6)...what else I am missing? thanks

Old 03-29-2009, 08:52 PM

10 posts, read 25,126 times
Don't know where you/wife will be working, but Kernersville is smack in the middle between WS and Greensboro. Something to consider...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point