Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:53 AM

7 posts, read 17,059 times

Advertisements

I am currently interviewing for a transfer to the Winston Salem area for my job. i am a pharmaceutical sales rep. My wife and I have a 2 year old and are excited about the potential move. NYC is too over priced and crowded and not where we want to raise our family. Are there any areas that you would recommend moving to for a young family? Any that you would suggest to stay away from? We are looking to rent for about a year while we decide where to buy. We are looking for areas with low crime, good schools and easy access to shopping. When we do buy a home we would like to stay in the low 200's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 12:01 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
The usual areas that are recommended for families such as yours are Clemmons, Lewisville, Pfafftown, and Kernersville. They are all worthy of investigation. One community not often mentioned is Walkertown. It's more rural than the others mentioned, but growing. I have friends with children at Walkertown Elementary and they are very complimentary of the school.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 PM

881 posts, read 2,253,830 times
I can't comment on the quality of schools since I don't have children but my neighborhood has lots of families. I often see kids riding their bikes through the neighborhood. There are sidewalks on Country Club so it's a popular area for joggers. It's in the Country Club area somewhat near the Silas Creek exit and Forsyth Country Club. I have seen a few rental houses nearby. Another area is Ardmore which is pretty popular.

Both are actually in Winston Salem so you could be close to everything -the neighborhoods are very walkable plus there are lots of parks, restaurants, and shopping nearby. Downtown is less than a 10 minute drive.

I think since you are coming from Queens it may be less of a shock (although still very different LOL) compared to living somewhere like Lewisville.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:30 PM

109 posts, read 389,251 times
If you want to stay around $200,000 i would definitely recommend Ardmore. Winston-Salem is a city full of character and Ardmore is one of the old historic neighborhoods. It is only a few minutes from downtown. Personally I am not a fan of the suburban neighborhoods like Clemmons, Lewisville, etc.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:59 PM

13 posts, read 53,085 times
mikes78,
I am a transplant from New Rochelle, NY living in Greensboro for past 4 years. Now I am relocating to St Louis and selling my home with option to lease to own price in low 200K. Home is in zip 27410 in a great neighborhood with young kids (I have a 5 yr), excellent schools, close to I40 (25 min commute to downtown Winston) if interested in learning more send me a direct message.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,694 times
Moving to Greenboro from Manhattan, I am looking to move into a community that is diverse, and has kids. I am a single mother of a 15yr old daughter, and want her to attend a good school to complete high school. any suggestions?

Old 04-15-2009, 01:20 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
How about Adams Farm?

Adams Farm : Greensboro North Carolina Neighborhood Information & Events

Old 04-19-2009, 03:58 PM

16 posts, read 32,470 times
Default Queensland Transplant

Suggestion on moving to a city, if working in Greensboro west or Winston-Salem east go to Kernersville, nice city, good schools, (Forsyth County) working in Winston-Salem move to Stokes County on the North but not the city of King (High City Taxes). Pilot Mtn, Pinnacle area. If in Winston on the South side, go into Davie or Davidson County. The town of Advance or Mocksville. If possible stay out of Guilford and Forsyth Counties, but rather Forsyth over Guilford. The city of Thomasville, High Point are alternative cities over Winston and Greensboro.

It's all in how much commute time you want.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:05 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Oh Wow!!!! I hope you are ready for the culture shock. You will get along quite well if you do not, at every possible moment, explain how things were done back -where ever.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Well, I would assume you would be traveling a bit anyway, the town of Mebane, east of GSO, between GSO, Durham and Raleigh, easy interstate access. The Orange county side of Mebane will have the better schools (pronounced.... "MEH - bin" ...... as opposed to ...... "me- BANE"). It's a nice town, friendly, lots of town festivals, good restaurants, coffee shops, the library is disproportionally large for the size of the town. It is amidst Duke U. , N.C. State, UNC, UNC-G, NC Central, NC A&T, Elon, and only a couple of hours from the coast (good fishing off the NC coast) it has a relatively high percentage of well educated people, makes for better conversations in the coffee shops. Oh yeah, one other thing, regardless of where you settle in, Basketball is something of a state passion, as well it should be. One other thing, Mebane has one of the best Mexican Restaurants in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point