Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 09:13 PM

36 posts, read 95,235 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering numerous areas for relocation and the Winston-Salem/Charlotte area is at the top of my list. I have lived in NC before, but only on the coast area near Jacksonville. I am considering coming back to the area BUT I some questions and concerns which I hope someone can help me with.

I lived in NC from 1990-1996 and LOVED NC and never wanted to leave but my father got ordered to another duty station in 1996. So now I have the opportunity to come back to NC and I see that it has grown alot since I left. so I will get on with my questions:

JOBS-I am in the HR field and would like to know if there are an abundant of jobs in my field in Winston-Salem and or Charlotte? I have also worked in the real estate area and would like to know if these jobs are hard to find especially in this recession? My husband is a blue collar worker- forklift operator will it be hard for him to find a job? I see Charlotte and Raleigh area is booming and I really would like to know what to aspect if and when we relocate.

* Scenery-I have an obsession and love being near mountains. In my opinion NC has some the most beautiful mountains I have ever seen. I would like to be able to find a house with mountain views but still be near a large city for jobs. I dont think asheville will suit me because of the lack of jobs, but what towns, cities within a hour drive or less are mountain viewable? Is Winston-Salem in the foothills of the mountains and are there views from Winston-Salem? I currently live in the country now with 5-6 acres and would like to keep the nice peaceful country/rural area that we have now, just in NC. Are there still areas in NC that are rural where we can afford to buy a house with acres 200,000-250,000?

CRIME- I have been reading alot about crime in the areas and want to know if it is a problem in the city areas only or in the suburban / rural areas also. We live in a quiet area now where there really isnt alot of crime and don't even lock our doors at night. Are there areas near Charlotte/Winston-Salem that have rural living and little crime?

I TRULY MISS NC, but my main hesitant is that I am an african american female, and my husband is white. I realize this is the south, and I dont know what to expect if we decide to relocate to Charlotte, NC. My husband has never been to NC, and I just want to know if we will be welcomed or constantly harassed. Are there alot of mixed couples and if so what has your experience been like? If anyone can give me alittle insight especially information about the rural areas for housing, I would greatly appreciate it.

kitykat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 01:17 AM

799 posts, read 3,225,931 times
I haven't seen alot of mixed couples around town, a couples times perhaps, but it's been my experience that that doesn't really get looked down upon much around here - not nearly as bad as Georgia or Jacksonville, FL. Stay away from there! (although I hear Atlanta is pretty progressive these days. *shrug*)

It all depends on what area of town you are living in, too. Extreme in either direction is always more trouble. I have lived on both sides: the one where it was an all-white neighborhood back in 1980 Mississippi and there was one black family in a 3 miles radius! AND - I went to a high school at one point where caucasians were 3% or less. I wasn't comfortable in either area, honestly.

I like change! I like people! I like culture! I like hearing different languages, accents, stories, and cuisine! It's bliss. So, when we looked at neighborhoods to buy a house in, I went to visit the elementary schools for that area. Did it look like more like a true Chex Mix of kids? Or was it more Cheezits/Raisinets dominant? heehee

Our apartment complex is really varied like that, and I love it.

As far as acreage goes, it all depends on your fringe: do you want septic? Well or public water? How far of a commute do you really mind? And that might change once you get here, too! I can't believe nowadays that my honey used to drive an hour to work and then back again, and I drove 1.5 hours to college and back again. WHAT a huge waste of precious life time! Gone forever!

I love it here. He commutes now 12 minutes to work, and we have everything we need within those minutes as well. Except the 24-hour SuperWalmart and Costco.

Come for a visit and see for yourself!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:13 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Bi-racial couples don't seem to be an issue in the metro areas, though it is more common to see black male/ white woman. Two of my friends are/were (one is divorced) married to white women. No dirty looks, sneers, or lude comments, but I can't say if the same attitude is shared in rural areas.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:52 PM

36 posts, read 95,235 times
Default Thinking of moving back to NC. need help!!!!

ibeg4sushi

It's will be a different experience for us and believe it or not we are use to people staring at us like we are aliens that just dropped out of the sky. I am just like you, I love meeting different people of all races and I absolutely love southern accents. I love NC and I supose that we will just have to get use to be alittle different since we are a interracial couple. I like people for whats inside them... not the color of there skin. My family (brothers, cousins, aunt, uncles, etc) is every color under the rainbow and we could love each other more.

As far as acreages go, yes we would like either a well or septic really rural and or in the country where I can have 2 rottweiler dogs. Our current house has a well, and we are happy with the house just the area is to far for jobs. I dont want to drive 45-50 miles to and from work each day. I would like to find a nice country area that is either within 15 miles or so of either Charlotte or Winston-Salem. I know what you mean by sitting in traffic wasting your life away... after all I spent 12 years in CA bumper to bumper traffic.
Thanks for your input and I will be visiting NC in October of 2009 to check different areas and see where we feel comfortable.

kitykat

Old 08-12-2009, 03:35 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Bi-racial couples don't seem to be an issue in the metro areas, though it is more common to see black male/ white woman. Two of my friends are/were (one is divorced) married to white women. No dirty looks, sneers, or lude comments, but I can't say if the same attitude is shared in rural areas.
I suspect it would depend on the rural area, I remember well the big billboard outside of town in Smithfield that proudly announced that you were in "Klan Country", I never felt good about traveling through that town. Mebane, on the other hand, a very small town, high percentage college educated, doesn't really seem to view race as an issue.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:24 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
My 2 cents:

Regarding mountain views, you won't find much to see from Winston-Salem itself. You can see Pilot Mtn., Sauratown Mtn., and Hanging Rock if you have a clear line of sight, but most houses don't have a view due either to trees, hills, or both. That said, you can drive north 15-20 minutes and get spectacular views. The towns of King, Pinnacle, and even Mt. Airy are within easy commuting distance to Winston-Salem, and there are some truly stunning views. Property is relatively inexpensive up that way too.

Now, about the race thing...As you well know, there are plenty of people who live in the dark ages (pardon the pun) with respect to race. As others have noted, the larger cities will have more diversity and tolerance. I can tell you that in Winston-Salem, I see interracial couples and mixed children quite often and no one seems to give a second look. This is such a transient community with WFU, WSSU, and the med school (which draws people from all over the world), so being different is not a big deal. Of course, I'm white so I probably don't notice things that a minority might, but I do have two mixed couples who are close friends and we're out with them (and their mixed kids) quite often. We have never had even a hint of a problem--quite the opposite in fact. Many people are struck by how beautiful their kids are, and sometimes they can't help saying so.

One thing about the South...most people were raised to be respectful and courteous towards others, even if they're a different race. They may have underlying resentment towards certain races, and they may choose not to associate with people of other races, but I think it's unlikely that you would be insulted or openly discriminated against. Especially these days with all the publicity and focus on political correctness, I think outward displays of racism are much more rare than they were say 20 or 30 years ago. And while I'm not naive enough to think the problems have been solved, I do think the old stereotype of the racist South is (fortunately) dying.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:32 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
My 2 cents:

Now, about the race thing...As you well know, there are plenty of people who live in the dark ages (pardon the pun) with respect to race. As others have noted, the larger cities will have more diversity and tolerance. I can tell you that in Winston-Salem, I see interracial couples and mixed children quite often and no one seems to give a second look. This is such a transient community with WFU, WSSU, and the med school (which draws people from all over the world), so being different is not a big deal. Of course, I'm white so I probably don't notice things that a minority might, but I do have two mixed couples who are close friends and we're out with them (and their mixed kids) quite often. We have never had even a hint of a problem--quite the opposite in fact. Many people are struck by how beautiful their kids are, and sometimes they can't help saying so.

One thing about the South...most people were raised to be respectful and courteous towards others, even if they're a different race. They may have underlying resentment towards certain races, and they may choose not to associate with people of other races, but I think it's unlikely that you would be insulted or openly discriminated against. Especially these days with all the publicity and focus on political correctness, I think outward displays of racism are much more rare than they were say 20 or 30 years ago. And while I'm not naive enough to think the problems have been solved, I do think the old stereotype of the racist South is (fortunately) dying.
I have lived in NC for forty years, and I agree completely with this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point