Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 03:15 PM

128 posts, read 613,192 times

Advertisements

sherrie,

I grew up in metro detroit, went to Albion College, but have lived in Jackson for the past two years because I taught near there. My boyfriend moved down with me as well (he grew up south of Jackson) and we're adjusting very well. The people are extremely friendly and there are so many transplants in the area you aren't viewed as an outsider, which oddly, i was treated as in Jackson. Let me know if you need anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 05:53 PM

548 posts, read 2,015,926 times
I've been to both cities, I have to say that my personal pick is Greenville over Spartanburg, without question.

Greenville has a fantastic downtown, southern charm but progressive ideas, great neighborhoods, a beautiful arena (BiLo Center), etc.

Spartanburg is fine, but man does it need help. The downtown is supposedly in transition, but I don't think they are doing enough to compete with G'ville. The people there are nice, and again it's fine for some folks, but I would move to Greenville if I had to choose between the two.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:09 PM

110 posts, read 455,718 times
Spartanburg is much smaller than Greenville, and Greenville does have a nicer downtown area. That being said, Spartanburg does not have the traffic problems and is much less congested. I like the friendliness of Spa. I've lived here for 15 years, and really like it. How many small towns have 4 colleges?

Old 07-31-2007, 06:06 AM

26 posts, read 186,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoole52 View Post
sherrie,

I grew up in metro detroit, went to Albion College, but have lived in Jackson for the past two years because I taught near there. My boyfriend moved down with me as well (he grew up south of Jackson) and we're adjusting very well. The people are extremely friendly and there are so many transplants in the area you aren't viewed as an outsider, which oddly, i was treated as in Jackson. Let me know if you need anything else.
I live in Williamston, which is a nice town with great schools. My daughtet is 9 yrs old. I told my husband that if we move we need to do it soon before she gets older and more comfortable here, it will be hard on her either way but I think the younger the better. I would imagine we will move within a year, if not it won't be until she graduates and I don't want that. (Too long) We plan on coming the middle of september to check out the area. Thank you again!

Old 07-31-2007, 09:17 PM

11 posts, read 32,063 times
Ok, maybe I should point out some things that y'all don't want to share.

Essentially, Spartanburg is a "needing to find out what I want to be" location right now. About a 15-20min drive from G'ville, Spartanburg's history is traced back to basically 3 or 4 families that owned the entire county. Not until BMW's headquarters arrive about decade ago, did some of that change start to occur.

Over the past 10yrs, S'burg has struggled to find its place as a location for "keepin' its roots" or "attact more economic stimulus". That fight will continue to hurt this so-called redevelopment project of downtown if it doesn't gets it act together. S'burg is a cheaper place to live by far, simply because there's not much there economically that would drive up taxes. Oh, and I don't want to point a finger, but just in the few years I've been here, its almost guaranteed that S'burg makes the local news about a shooting/robbery/police chase almost every night. Givent that G'ville has 2-3x the population, you would expect that to be the other way around.

In all, S'burg can be an option, IF you've done a lot of research about the comparables and determine that's where you HAVE to be. Not really sure anyone moving into the area from that far away with hardly any knowledge of the region "just happens" to move to S'burg without a dang good reason.

Good luck.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:54 AM

Default That was good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh View Post

Essentially, Spartanburg is a "needing to find out what I want to be" location right now. About a 15-20min drive from G'ville, Spartanburg's history is traced back to basically 3 or 4 families that owned the entire county. Not until BMW's headquarters arrive about decade ago, did some of that change start to occur.

Over the past 10yrs, S'burg has struggled to find its place as a location for "keepin' its roots" or "attact more economic stimulus". That fight will continue to hurt this so-called redevelopment project of downtown if it doesn't gets it act together. S'burg is a cheaper place to live by far, simply because there's not much there economically that would drive up taxes. Oh, and I don't want to point a finger, but just in the few years I've been here, its almost guaranteed that S'burg makes the local news about a shooting/robbery/police chase almost every night. Givent that G'ville has 2-3x the population, you would expect that to be the other way around.

In all, S'burg can be an option, IF you've done a lot of research about the comparables and determine that's where you HAVE to be. Not really sure anyone moving into the area from that far away with hardly any knowledge of the region "just happens" to move to S'burg without a dang good reason.

Good luck.
Thanks for the information. It is hard to know from reading information on line about a city. The pictures I seen from Skyliner of Greenville were great. I was also wondering if there are good neighborhoods to live in downtown greenville, well a neighborhood that you could walk to downtown or are they all historic areas that are priced to high. I am looking at no more than 300,000. Also where it would be good to raise my daughter. I have always wanted to live somewhere where you can walk to whatever you want to see as far as downtown. I almost moved to chicago a year ago. I love the downtown area with all it has to offer, but the winters are horrible, worse then where I am at. And it would not be the best place for my daughter to grow up. Let me know if you have any more info. Thanks sherri rc

Old 08-01-2007, 09:43 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Default Places near Downtown Greenville

Hi sherri rc,

There are actually a few places near downtown that are beginning to come up with more affordable housing options. First off, are you looking to rent or buy?

Below is a list which includes some of the new additions to the edges of downtown that offer very reasonable prices. Given the fact that these areas are changing into more attractive neighborhoods I would expect their value to increase as the demand for downtown housing continues to grow.

To Rent:

McBee Station Apartments - Brand new high density complex located in the awesome new McBee Station development downtown. You can walk to any place in downtown from here with little effort.

To Buy:

Pendleton West - mixed use neighborhood with affordable homes and condos.

Mulberry at Pinkney - cute new homes made to look like adorable Craftsman era bungalows.

Historic Overbrook Community - cute older homes and cottages

The Edge at North Main - condos

The Brio - condos

Field House at West End - condos over retail/restaurant, also overlooking beautiful West End Field.

Poinsett Corners - excellent condos in the heart of downtown, across the street from the world class Peace Center for the Performing Arts.

The Park Downtown - Condos with an excellent location next to a small old park just off of North Main Street.

There are several other downtown options as well, and if you would like more information about any of these or the ones I left out, please don't hesitate to ask us. I am sure someone will be able to help you.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Hi sherri rc,

There are actually a few places near downtown that are beginning to come up with more affordable housing options. First off, are you looking to rent or buy?

Below is a list which includes some of the new additions to the edges of downtown that offer very reasonable prices. Given the fact that these areas are changing into more attractive neighborhoods I would expect their value to increase as the demand for downtown housing continues to grow.

To Rent:

McBee Station Apartments - Brand new high density complex located in the awesome new McBee Station development downtown. You can walk to any place in downtown from here with little effort.

To Buy:

Pendleton West - mixed use neighborhood with affordable homes and condos.

Mulberry at Pinkney - cute new homes made to look like adorable Craftsman era bungalows.

Historic Overbrook Community - cute older homes and cottages

The Edge at North Main - condos

The Brio - condos

Field House at West End - condos over retail/restaurant, also overlooking beautiful West End Field.

Poinsett Corners - excellent condos in the heart of downtown, across the street from the world class Peace Center for the Performing Arts.

The Park Downtown - Condos with an excellent location next to a small old park just off of North Main Street.

There are several other downtown options as well, and if you would like more information about any of these or the ones I left out, please don't hesitate to ask us. I am sure someone will be able to help you.
I just looked at some of those you sent. The prices look pretty good too! I am thinking that I should probably rent first to get a feel for what area I would want to buy in. I will be there in september if I like it I am planning on putting my house up for sale in March, hopefully it will sell by the summer.
Thanks, Sherri

Old 08-01-2007, 12:30 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
You may also want to check out the Condo/Apt. page (http://www.greatergreenville.com/neighborhoods/aptcondo_list.asp - broken link) on the official City of Greenville website for additional places in or near downtown.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:43 PM

153 posts, read 715,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfeet888 View Post
Spartanburg is much smaller than Greenville, and Greenville does have a nicer downtown area. That being said, Spartanburg does not have the traffic problems and is much less congested. I like the friendliness of Spa. I've lived here for 15 years, and really like it. How many small towns have 4 colleges?
^technically, its 6 colleges

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh View Post

Good luck.
I have to make a correction here about Spartanburg's history, because that sums it up in a very poor way. The city is rooted in way more than 3-4 families. In fact, Spartanburg was the larger of the two cities up until the 1950s. Where Spartanburg failed was as the textile industry collapsed, the city did not have the leadership in place to realize that it needed to look towards more diversification of its economy. However, Greenville did do that, and has managed to prosper because of its excellent leadership in the past (and present).

I think you should get over to Spartanburg and see what is happening downtown. Its really amazing to compare it to just 5 or 6 years ago. Its not at Greenville's level, so don't expect that. Infact I'd says its at least 10-15 years behind Greenville today. But its becoming something that is worthy of pride, and more people (and businesses) are taking interest in Spartanburg these days.

I also think that you shouldn't assume that everything you see on TV is how it is in real life. Thats just me though. I've lived in Spartanburg for a long time, and I've never felt unsafe. Just like any place you live, its all about the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area