Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 07:38 PM

3 posts, read 12,587 times

Advertisements

You should keep your eye on Clarendon Avenue just off of East Blue Ridge Drive in the Sans Souci area. Also, if you want to live a little further out then the towns of Central and Abbeville have many houses like this and will not break the bank. If you live the Berea/Welcome/Sans Souci area your choices of large old southern charm homes will be limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 12:51 PM

745 posts, read 2,232,269 times
Well, we just got back from our trip to the Upstate, and we love it more than ever! I'll post in more detail about what I saw in a new thread, but, as far as old homes go, there are some scattered around the region. I didn't see any with 'For Sale' signs, but I think if you hooked up w/ a good local realtor, you could find one w/ some patience. It may be a matter of waiting until something comes on the market. Old homes are really scattered, but there seem to be a few in Pickens. As for Sans Souci and Berea, there are older homes there, but that area was pretty run-down, and is known for crime. Personally, I'd like to live further out.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:54 PM

76 posts, read 295,359 times
Hey flagargoyle,
What towns in particular did you like the best?? Can't wait to hear what you think about it down there!! We are looking forward to our visit in November.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,180 times
I read your post and wanted to send you this info.We may be relocating soon and have a big southern home(2700 sq.ft) that could be up for sale soon.We are in Eastern Spartanburg county.school dist.3.The home is two story with a 900 sq.ft. porch.It was built in 1880 by the Hatchette family.It is black and white with a red door and side lights.There was actually church held in the main room many years ago.You want history,we've got history.The builders grandson said their used to be fights and they would shoot from the windows at each other!! Anyway,email me directly for more info.Like I said ,we MAY be relocating depending on if my hubby takes the job.MY EMAIL IS SRUSS220@CS.COM.But,we can discuss it if you're interested in knowing more.My name is Sandi by the way.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:01 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Easley comes to mind as having strong potential in this regard as well.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:36 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
I would recommend contacting a Realtor. With such a specific want that will be your best bet.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,106 times
Default Sans Souci

The streets are kind of hit or miss, but there are quite a few older homes in the Sans Souci area. After researching and looking all over and around Greenville for several months my wife and I just bought our 70+ year old place there a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it. Working for County I don't make quite enough to live in an older home in the much more expensive N Main area, but Sans Souci is great. Very modestly priced, older homes with mature yards and friendly neighbors, close to shopping in Cherrydale, downtown, and Paris Mountain so gas won't kill you. This is really the next area to pop I think and with our staff recently having completed the Cherrydale Plan it will only continue to improve. I agree that Clarendon is a good area of Sans Souci. Also consider looking on Paris Mountain, N Franklin, Brockman, Darlington, Berkely, Ethelridge, and Rogers. Things can get a little sketchy south of Perry and Old Buncombe roads and Blue Ridge can be a little busy with traffic.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:59 PM

5 posts, read 11,074 times
I live in Switzer. We don't have a PO Box, so technically I live in "Moore" but I'm between what most people think of as Moore and Woodruff. Some of my neighbors have the kind of home you're talking about... but they're not selling right now.
You can find that kind of house, but it will be a fixer upper!
One of my neighbor's has one of those and then one just like it across the street, except in much worse disrepair, went on the market he bought it so he could own both sides of the street.
And this area is pretty far out. It's five miles from my house to the nearest store. However, those stores are the convenience stores at the 1-26 exit. We live fifteen minutes from the West side of Spartanburg (and about fifteen from Woodruff, though they can't be compared). Switzer used to be a hub, as the railroad used to stop here with passenger trains. Because of that there are old houses... but since they long ago turned freight most have deteriated or been torn down.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:01 AM

33 posts, read 117,591 times
You can get lots of house and land for the money in Williamston/ Belton/ Honea Path because it is so far out with nothing to do. Have your realtor drive you down there. You may have to get a realtor from Anderson to see some of that pretty rolling farmland.
Dacusville is aslo beautiful but pricier. You can get mountain views and streams there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area