Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:36 AM

76 posts, read 295,514 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are intersted in finding an older home in the areas west of Greenville. We want one of those big southern homes with the wrap around porch, with a lot of history to it, etc... does anyone know what towns might be best to find these types of homes? I can't seem to find any on the real estate websites.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2006, 01:10 PM

745 posts, read 2,233,353 times
We'll be all over that area next week, and I'll keep my eyes open for you. That area is pretty sparsely populated, and pretty poor, so you may not find much in the way of big homes. We have looked at many areas in the southeast, and there are less of those homes than you might think. Many older homes in rural areas are not much more than shacks.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:20 PM

212 posts, read 923,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne1 View Post
My husband and I are intersted in finding an older home in the areas west of Greenville. We want one of those big southern homes with the wrap around porch, with a lot of history to it, etc... does anyone know what towns might be best to find these types of homes? I can't seem to find any on the real estate websites.
Thanks!
Check out this site for historic homes for sale
historicproperties dot com

Old 09-07-2006, 01:33 PM

8 posts, read 23,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
We'll be all over that area next week, and I'll keep my eyes open for you. That area is pretty sparsely populated, and pretty poor, so you may not find much in the way of big homes. We have looked at many areas in the southeast, and there are less of those homes than you might think. Many older homes in rural areas are not much more than shacks.

Meanwhile, here in economically depressed upstate NY, there are huge, amazing, falling-down old mansions throughout the rural areas. I often wonder who those people were, how they made their money and how they acquired such exquisite taste in architecture. But then, they were the people who invented most of our technology and colonized the West. They were a superior bunch who are long gone.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:58 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
If you want a large, old southern-style plantation home, your best bet is the eastern part of the state. Back in the 18th and 19th century when most of these homes were built, the upstate was mostly small mill towns that were fairly poor. Agriculture was the big business back then, and most of the agriculture was in the eastern part of the state.

My family just sold our old farmhouse in Bishopville, SC, for about $60,000. White wood paneling, 3br, high ceilings, wrap around porch. The yard and exterior were in bad shape, though, and I guarantee someone from NY/New England would go crazy in Bishopville.

and raderator, I found your comment sort of bizarre. You say that you 'wonder who those people were', but then you say that they 'were a superior bunch'. Isn't this contradictory? And you 'wonder how they made their money', but then you say 'they invented most of our technology'. Doesn't that answer your own question? And it's a little off-base to claim that anywhere in New York is 'economically depressed', when you consider that you're on the South Carolina board! Very few places in SC are as wealthy as anywhere in the state of NY. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just a little amused by what you said.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:32 PM

Anonymous,
I wish I had known about your family's house that you just sold! Sounds like my southern dream home!

Flgargoyle - thanks for keeping an eye out for me! That would be great. We are planning a trip down there in the beginning of november. I can't wait.
I am anxious to hear what you think of the area.
Where do you live now? Why are you considering SC? Just curious.
Thanks!!

Old 09-08-2006, 12:40 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
Default Victorian farmhouse at the top of my list...

Adrienne - I am also in the same market and have found a wealth of late 1800-early 1900 beauties in various states of repair and price ranges...will PM you with some sites and town information, since it might not be approprite to list links here.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:11 PM

745 posts, read 2,233,353 times
Adrienne1- We have lived in west central FL for 26 years, and have tired of the heat and the crowds. We had a lot of family here, but one by one they either moved or passed away- we are the only ones left! It used to be very reasonable living here, but in 5 years real estate and insurance have tripled. Our son is in college, and when he graduates (2009?) we are out of here. We find we miss the seasons, and country living in general. After looking in Rome and Athens, GA, we came to Greenville and fell in love with the area. It is one of the few places in the southeast where there are jobs within a reasonable drive from affordable, rural land. I am a tool maker, and the job market looks very good in G'ville; much better than here. Our goal is to buy 5-10 acres now, and build in a few years when we are ready to move. Hopefully the current housing sales slump will level out by then, and we should wind up w/ no mortgage. That takes a lot of pressure off finding a good job! So- it's a matter of pretty countryside, affordability, and jobs that attracted us. We are lucky in that we don't care about schools or shopping. BTW- I did a real estate search, and did find a couple older homes out near the mountains- 1890 or so. But they were definitely 'farmhouse' style- nothing fancy.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:54 PM

Flgargoyle:
Can you pm me those listings you found (the older homes)? Thanks.
We live in Maine and would love to leave this high tax, anti-business state behind, not to mention the looooong winters. Please don't forget to let us know what you find on your visit to G'ville!
Thanks.
Adrienne

Old 09-08-2006, 03:08 PM

23 posts, read 182,616 times
I live in Alpharetta Georgia, a north suburb of Atlanta but I lived in the Greenville/Spartanburg area for 15 years. If you looking for beautiful nice homes, the Converse area of Spartanburg may meet your needs. If you'd like land with the house, check out Woodruff, Greer and Simpsonville. Also, you may want to consider Roebuck and Inman. If your open to considering Georgia, there are options here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area