Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:49 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,110,002 times

Advertisements

Was over at the Shops at Greenridge today and they had a banner with a decorated tree and star on top that announced a "holiday" tree lighting in a couple of weeks. Well, since there is no such holiday called "holiday" I wondered what exact holiday this tree lighting ceremony was commemorating. Oddly enough the "holiday" tree on the banner looked exactly like a Christmas tree. Can anyone tell me what exactly a "holiday" tree is?

Old 11-22-2011, 07:51 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,199,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Was over at the Shops at Greenridge today and they had a banner with a decorated tree and star on top that announced a "holiday" tree lighting in a couple of weeks. Well, since there is no such holiday called "holiday" I wondered what exact holiday this tree lighting ceremony was commemorating. Oddly enough the "holiday" tree on the banner looked exactly like a Christmas tree. Can anyone tell me what exactly a "holiday" tree is?
Please, I hope you don't take offense to this, but as soon as I saw your post it triggered a memory of remembering this was an issue last year.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/16743123-post4.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/16755462-post12.html

I know you must be passionate about this, that it's an issue and angst for you, and you obviously have strong feelings about this, but I don't see the point of asking this again this year and getting aggravated about it as you seem to be. I just don't see what good this is going to do, to say this year after year, you said it last year, and made your point heard. I just don't see how repeating it again (and again) helps, it's not going to change, it is what it is.

Just my 2 cents

Old 11-22-2011, 07:58 PM

11,712 posts, read 24,828,412 times
It's clearly for St. Patrick's Day. There is a reason the tree is green.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:06 PM

5,596 posts, read 15,400,061 times
This topic has been discussed already: No christmas tree in Cary, NC we have Community Tree.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:17 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,199,328 times
Well technically, they aren't Christmas trees, they're Pine, Spruce and Fir trees adorned with holiday ornaments.

One could take a Fir Tree and make it a Hannukah Tree. And as G-Man mentioned, it could be a St. Patricks Day Tree, just stick some shamrocks and boxes of Lucky Charms on it and you're on your way.

You make it what it is, what you want it to be, not everyone has to agree with you on it being what you say it is.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Well technically, they aren't Christmas trees, they're Pine, Spruce and Fir trees adorned with holiday ornaments.

One could take a Fir Tree and make it a Hannukah Tree. And as G-Man mentioned, it could be a St. Patricks Day Tree, just stick some shamrocks and boxes of Lucky Charms on it and you're on your way.

You make it what it is, what you want it to be, not everyone has to agree with you on it being what you say it is.
But that's just it, it's not "whatever you want it to be", it is a Christmas tree; always has been, and no amount of absurd political correctness can change that. There is no such holiday called "holiday." I mean how far do we take this, should we call Hannaukah, Holidaykah? Rosh Hashannah is now Rosh Haholiday. Let's call a menorah, Octet Holiday Candles. Ramadan can now be Ramaholiday. I stand corrected, you're right this is fun, I can call it whatever I want.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:02 PM

177 posts, read 471,157 times
It's Christmas Tree. If you don't like it keep it to yourself. I'm sick of all of the PC neurosis our country has had to bow to.This country was founded on religion. Get over it.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:14 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,475,239 times
I agree that we have gotten too PC in our society, and it's a Christmas tree to me as well, but I'm not sure what this thread accomplishes (or is trying to accomplish).

Old 11-23-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I agree that we have gotten too PC in our society, and it's a Christmas tree to me as well, but I'm not sure what this thread accomplishes (or is trying to accomplish).

The fact that you felt the need to add the caveat, "to me" tells me that you too have unknowingly succumbed to political correctness.

Tell me what you think about this statement:

Yeah, you may call it a Cocker Spaniel, but myself and others want to call it a peach pie. Anyone can call it whatever they want.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:45 AM

111 posts, read 223,687 times
Every year, do we have to have 20 threads about this subject? Can we please get along for just a few months? Most people are tired of hearing this argument over and over every December. Mod, with all due respect, can you please keep an eye on this stuff and block it as soon as it pops up. It would be the best present ever! It has nothing to do with Greenville and makes me want to block this forum for the next 1 1/2 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area