Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 05:14 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,186,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swu_ba_student View Post
Every year, do we have to have 20 threads about this subject? Can we please get along for just 1 1/2 months? Most people are tired of hearing this argument over and over every December. Mod, with all due respect, can you please keep an eye on this stuff and block it as soon as it pops up. It would be the best present ever! It has nothing to do with Greenville and makes me want to block this forum for the next 1 1/2 months.
Exactly. My post (#2 on this thread) seemed to be ignored by the OP. Some people like to rant and try to make "their" point- year after year. I honestly think some people like to stir up the pot and get people going, though I'm not sure what's gotten from doing this by people. Why ask the exact same question a year later, what's the purpose???

Actually, I do believe her DH posted the same thing two years ago:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/green...ay-lights.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/11888007-post9.html

Either her DH posted the above (and more) or she did so under his name, the words are exact.

Many of the same people who keep this board going with viable information and replies to others have replied to her last year as well, it's like coming full circle. And the funny thing I also noticed, it's the same dates as last year!

As I mentioned before, you can see they are passionate and are bound and determined each year to be heard. Obviously they are on the wrong board with posting this here each year and should post it over on the PC Forum where people who go there KNOW they can be, or get others riled up.

I'm through with replying to this post and subject even though I could say more. It's obvious that the OP just wants to get this out and really not interested in what people are telling her. It seems to fester inside her year after year and we will probably see the exact same post come again next year at this time.

One thing before I go...

Is this a Fireplace Candleabra, or a Menorah, I can't tell

Old 11-23-2011, 06:19 AM

356 posts, read 677,714 times
It is worth remembering that a Christmas tree is a pagan symbol and has no attachment to Christ or Christianity. So who cares what people want to call it. Santa and all the holiday traditions are in no way truly connected to religion. Christmas is a secular celebration for most people anyway, and if corporations want to try and boost profits by branching out and advertising the hollidays who cares that's what makes this country great, the pursuit of the bottom dollar.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:43 AM

12,925 posts, read 18,770,297 times
Holiday tree: a decorated, usually illuminated tree of pagan origins that anyone can enjoy this time of year even if they aren't Christian.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:04 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Exactly. My post (#2 on this thread) seemed to be ignored by the OP. Some people like to rant and try to make "their" point- year after year. I honestly think some people like to stir up the pot and get people going, though I'm not sure what's gotten from doing this by people. Why ask the exact same question a year later, what's the purpose???

Actually, I do believe her DH posted the same thing two years ago:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/green...ay-lights.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/11888007-post9.html

Either her DH posted the above (and more) or she did so under his name, the words are exact.

Many of the same people who keep this board going with viable information and replies to others have replied to her last year as well, it's like coming full circle. And the funny thing I also noticed, it's the same dates as last year!

As I mentioned before, you can see they are passionate and are bound and determined each year to be heard. Obviously they are on the wrong board with posting this here each year and should post it over on the PC Forum where people who go there KNOW they can be, or get others riled up.

I'm through with replying to this post and subject even though I could say more. It's obvious that the OP just wants to get this out and really not interested in what people are telling her. It seems to fester inside her year after year and we will probably see the exact same post come again next year at this time.
I find it disturbing and ironic that someone who is worried about the word "Christmas" being hijacked has no problem offending other people by hijacking a topic on this forum. Five of the nine replies on the first page of the public ice skating thread are completely off topic. No apology was offered by the culprit. How is that not offensive? http://www.city-data.com/forum/green...long-main.html

Old 11-24-2011, 07:59 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,734,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I find it disturbing and ironic that someone who is worried about the word "Christmas" being hijacked has no problem offending other people by hijacking a topic on this forum. Five of the nine replies on the first page of the public ice skating thread are completely off topic. No apology was offered by the culprit. How is that not offensive? http://www.city-data.com/forum/green...long-main.html
Exactly. Life's too short to get one's panties in a bunch about stuff. I'm proudly Jewish; there's no Christmas tree in my life, but I hope all who celebrate have a wonderful Christmas and you enjoy your pretty trees and your Christmas.

People can call the tree whatever they like. It doesn't have to be a "holiday tree" as far as I'm concerned, but there are far more important causes I'm interested in, such as human rights, people living in absolute poverty, the current economy, etc., etc! I'm not going to take on the cause of semantics about what a tree is called.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swu_ba_student View Post
Every year, do we have to have 20 threads about this subject? Can we please get along for just a few months? Most people are tired of hearing this argument over and over every December. Mod, with all due respect, can you please keep an eye on this stuff and block it as soon as it pops up. It would be the best present ever! It has nothing to do with Greenville and makes me want to block this forum for the next 1 1/2 months.
We can, and we will get along!

Old 11-24-2011, 08:48 AM

852 posts, read 1,443,734 times
I don't get why people get so upset over a "holiday tree." Different people seeing the SAME THINGS inevitably see them differently. Why should others get upset if they choose to call them by different names, as well?

People will look at the same woman, one will call her "wife," another will call her "sister," and yet another will call her "mom." And NO ONE seems to have a problem with it!

Old 11-24-2011, 12:06 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
The fact that you felt the need to add the caveat, "to me" tells me that you too have unknowingly succumbed to political correctness.

Tell me what you think about this statement:

Yeah, you may call it a Cocker Spaniel, but myself and others want to call it a peach pie. Anyone can call it whatever they want.
It comes down to how much value you're willing to place on other people's opinions. I call it a Christmas tree. If someone else wants to call it a holiday tree, it isn't any less of a Christmas tree to me. They have a right to call it something else, even if I disagree.

I think it is important to pick our battles carefully. To me, this is not one worth fighting. You clearly disagree, and that is certainly your right.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I don't get why people get so upset over a "holiday tree." Different people seeing the SAME THINGS inevitably see them differently. Why should others get upset if they choose to call them by different names, as well?

People will look at the same woman, one will call her "wife," another will call her "sister," and yet another will call her "mom." And NO ONE seems to have a problem with it!
Wow - what a great analogy!

Old 11-24-2011, 02:18 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
But... she was my daughter first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area