Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 02:56 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
We visited Greenville and didn't really like it, but traffic??? That's pretty funny.
I'm not defending his whole post but it seems like he was referring to the demeanor of drivers, not the amount. Greenville doesn't have a lot of traffic comparatively to other cities but, to this poster, the drivers are more aggressive.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:16 PM

8 posts, read 37,292 times
Thanks for the comments, I was confident I would stir up a hornets nest. You realtors can slip your pistols back in your holsters. Like everyone else on this board, I am entitled to my own opinion. And yes, I wasn't referring to the amount of traffic as to the driving behavior. I mean you'r driving really, really, sucks. Everyone is in such a hurry and it doesn't take long to get anywhere. Where is the fire?! You cut people off, flip people off, drive in the bike lanes, you don't stop at the cross walks, you race through Main Street (where there are families, mothers with strollers crossing the street) - you'r driving is horrible!! Half of you idiots should have your license taken away you'r driving is so terrible. And on behalf of all the cyclist, stop being such a jerk and give us some room. And one last thing, you parents who have teenage daughters, tell them to change out of their skimpy outfits and put some clothes on - they look like prostitutes. What kind of signal is that sending? Geeezzz....!!!
Peace and Love everyone - and go Ohio State..!!

Last edited by whitecup; 01-12-2012 at 03:32 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 04:56 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecup View Post
Thanks for the comments, I was confident I would stir up a hornets nest. You realtors can slip your pistols back in your holsters. Like everyone else on this board, I am entitled to my own opinion. And yes, I wasn't referring to the amount of traffic as to the driving behavior. I mean you'r driving really, really, sucks. Everyone is in such a hurry and it doesn't take long to get anywhere. Where is the fire?! You cut people off, flip people off, drive in the bike lanes, you don't stop at the cross walks, you race through Main Street (where there are families, mothers with strollers crossing the street) - you'r driving is horrible!! Half of you idiots should have your license taken away you'r driving is so terrible. And on behalf of all the cyclist, stop being such a jerk and give us some room. And one last thing, you parents who have teenage daughters, tell them to change out of their skimpy outfits and put some clothes on - they look like prostitutes. What kind of signal is that sending? Geeezzz....!!!
Peace and Love everyone - and go Ohio State..!!
Well I guess more and more people are finding out about "the best kept secret" and increasing crime goes with the territory. You said you moved here to get away from the heat. Did Greenville at least deliver in that area? That is why I'm moving from Charleston. From what I have learned, Greenville gets hot but the humidity level is normal so the heat index is tolerable - unlike Charleston where it is like a steam bath 24/7 from mid spring through the summer and early fall. You never get any relief. Not even at night. The A/C stays on constantly.

I think the only way to really get away, as the survival experts say is to stay away from cities. Move to where you are 4 hours from a city. There isn't going to be a lot of crime way out in the boonies unless the crooks are willing to spend some serious dollars on gas to find you. On the other hand, you give up all the conveniences that a big town offers when you do that.

Last edited by emilybh; 01-12-2012 at 05:06 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 05:11 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Well I guess more and more people are finding out about "the best kept secret" and increasing crime goes with the territory. You said you moved here to get away from the heat. Did Greenville at least deliver in that area? That is why I'm moving from Charleston. From what I have learned, Greenville gets hot but the humidity level is normal so the heat index is tolerable - unlike Charleston where it is like a steam bath 24/7 from mid spring through the summer and early fall. You never get any relief. Not even at night. The A/C stays on constantly.

I think the only way to really get away, as the survival experts say is to stay away from cities. Move to where you are 4 hours from a city. There isn't going to be a lot of crime way out in the boonies unless the crooks are willing to spend some serious dollars on gas to find you. On the other hand, you give up all the conveniences that a big town offers when you do that.
Very true, good Emily! Greenville is a wonderful place, but no one place is best for, or can please every single person. One has to balance needs vs desires.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:30 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
When I read the OP's post I had to re-read it because I thought maybe he was in Miami - his description of the driving here sounds like Miami drivers. I really haven't experienced this type of behavior here in the Greenville area. If you've lived in those big cities, I can't imagine that you think the driving here is agressive - where do you drive and experience this? Worse than LA? I can't imagine. I've been in LA - and who hasn't seen the oodles of police chases on LA highways on the news? When's the last time that happened here in Greenville that even made the local news, much less the national news??

Whitecup, can you tell us how long you've actually been living here? What type of research did you do prior to moving to Greenville, and what area did you move to - if you don't mind me asking.

True, Greenville is not for everyone, and I did a load of research before choosing to live here, and whenever anyone asks about moving to the Greenville area that I feel qualified to give my opinion to, I ALWAYS say, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. If you do, it's more than likely you won't make a mistake by moving here.

Hopefully, wherever you do decide to move to next you'll have learned from this experience and find the right place for you.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:13 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times
I agree that the drivers in Greenville are bad. We could use a few months of targeted enforce police enforcement against red light runners.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 PM

125 posts, read 206,616 times
Well, apparently the whitecup is half empty. Pull over your bicycle and unwedge your spandex....better? I would say if you ride your bike like you come across in your postings you may have deserved every finger you were shown. (Did you ever notice if someone drives slower than you they are a moron and if they drive faster than you they are an idiot?)
I am confident someone who is hyper-critical will never be satisfied no matter where they move. And by the way, we are bike friendly; riders, not so much. (That was a joke - feel free to peddle in in traffic all you want.)

Old 01-12-2012, 06:23 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I agree that the drivers in Greenville are bad. We could use a few months of targeted enforce police enforcement against red light runners.
My thing is NOT aggressive drivers so much (although there seem to be more & more of those), but rather those who are willing to stop a lane of traffic on a 4 or 6-lane roadway to let an idiot try to cross all lanes (turning left against traffic)... It just dumbfounds me.

Last edited by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex; 01-12-2012 at 07:10 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 PM

125 posts, read 206,616 times
Exactly Booster....

Old 01-12-2012, 11:56 PM

144 posts, read 296,071 times
What is it that makes this kind of bait just impossible for some people to ignore.

I truly do not understand these post that just come on here to vent about their unhappiness, and then go on a lengthy diversion about mid-westerners?

I would really like to see a coherent post from an unhappy transplant who feels like they got sold a bad bill of goods on Greenville.

Maybe a point by point explanation about how Greenville fell short of your expectations, with some specific examples would actually help someone who is considering a move to Greenville.

When it is nothing but random and vague complaints such as too much traffic or bad drivers or too crowded it makes the OP sound bitter at best and for me raises some red flags about someone who might be a troll and is just making something up to stir up the locals.

I think this forum could greatly benefit from some constructive criticism from new arrivals and some examples of places that are doing it better but these kind of threads lead nowhere.

Last edited by nighttown; 01-13-2012 at 12:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area