Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 04:17 PM

7 posts, read 28,613 times

Advertisements

Today, February 2, 2017, the U.S. Finishing Union Bleachery Mill caught fire and the half of it that was left after the fire from years ago has pretty much been destroyed. Here is a link to a youtube video that shows videos and photos of the fire from the helicopter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tyYqvEH_BY

Here is also a link to the article about the fire: The Info War with Josh Ferguson: VIDEO: Another Massive Fire at former U.S. Finishing Union Bleachery Mill in Greenville SC A Site That Is Already A Highly Contaminated Superfund Site!

And last but not least here is another link to a YouTube video which talks about the contamination at the U.S. Finishing Union Bleachery Mill Site by scientists and environmentalists with the EPA and SC DHEC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50cvndPS4CE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 01:34 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Default 3335 Old Buncombe Road, Greenville, South Carolina 29617-7826

I am surprised all that remains at the former U. S. Finishing mill has lasted this long. Anything left standing will be demolished.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:31 AM

The Environmental Protection Agency already knows about the U.S. Finishing site.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:27 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The Environmental Protection Agency already knows about the U.S. Finishing site.
And yet, it's still there. Catching on fire even. This thread was started in 2012, btw.

How many more sites are around this area? We had (and still have) all kinds of manufacturing in this area, creating tons and tons of harmful waste.

If we fire half of the EPA, and slash it's budget in half, will that make it more or less likely that this site will be cleaned up anytime soon?

Do y'all even care that there is so much pollution in this area, going into our rivers, streams, ground, and air?

If the EPA doesn't step in and regulate and clean up, who will? The companies themselves? That has never worked out...

Old 02-04-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
And yet, it's still there. Catching on fire even. This thread was started in 2012, btw.

How many more sites are around this area? We had (and still have) all kinds of manufacturing in this area, creating tons and tons of harmful waste.

If we fire half of the EPA, and slash it's budget in half, will that make it more or less likely that this site will be cleaned up anytime soon?

Do y'all even care that there is so much pollution in this area, going into our rivers, streams, ground, and air?

If the EPA doesn't step in and regulate and clean up, who will? The companies themselves? That has never worked out...
If the Environmental Protection Agency did not entangle itself with many irrelevant and environmentally harmful regulations, it could have initiated and executed a plan to (1) remove the debris and destroyed structures on the site, and (2) remove any environmental hazards in an efficient time. I will gladly discuss the Environmental Protection Agency in another appropriate forum.

The U.S. Finishing site has been a hazard for nearly sixteen years. It is time the site's cleanup finishes.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:04 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
If the Environmental Protection Agency did not entangle itself with many irrelevant and environmentally harmful regulations, it could have initiated and executed a plan to (1) remove the debris and destroyed structures on the site, and (2) remove any environmental hazards in an efficient time. I will gladly discuss the Environmental Protection Agency in another appropriate forum.

The U.S. Finishing site has been a hazard for nearly sixteen years. It is time the site's cleanup finishes.
Exactly. IF I weren't doing my job, Id expect to be fired too. Ive said more than I wanted on this thread already, so I'm bowing out of it. Y'all have fun.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:01 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Quote:

If you have any knowledge of how all the "irrelevant and environmentally harmful regulations" have slowed down this particular cleanup here in our area, I would love to learn. And this is a perfectly appropriate forum for that since it's a local clean-up site and the OP has asked for locals' input. Maybe we can find common ground.

The biggest delays on most clean-up sites come from making the polluter pay for the cleanup, and all the litigation it takes to exhaust that requirement in the environmental laws. Turns out, polluters often don't like to pay for their mess and fight for years to avoid doing so. I don't know if that's the case here.

Old 03-31-2022, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 427 times
Concerned, lived less than a mile from this mill all my life , every morning the smell would make me sick . i suffer from many things but dont know if they are related . although I did write down a list of the chemicals you named to show to my doctor.
My daughter also at below 35 has alot of health issues. they have already built houses on that land. I wonder about those. people are never treated right in these instances. if money can be made, health is pushed to the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area