Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:02 PM

252 posts, read 282,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCGirl View Post
I'm thinking that is not something to be proud of.
It isn't about being proud of it or not, I think the unusual things like that is what gives a town some character and it is fun to poke fun of your town for things like that. I swear there were like 50 cars in that parking lot that day too. The one in Seneca is always packed out, and I wouldn't doubt Clemson one does a business. Maybe this is what the people at Clemson were talking about when they used the slogan There is Something in These Hills, the awesome super large McDonalds with tons of people in drive thru. what else could it be, really. LOL

For example, I always talk about the Thunderbird Motor Inn with features a country buffet restaurant. It has the coolest hotel sign in America that I have seen.

I also like things like road names in the South, like Whiskey Road in AIken or Gunbarrel Road in Chattannooga. You know they dont' have road names like that up north. Maybe New Hampshire. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
It's an illusion really....it's long like a trailer...long and skinny...if you look inside, the dining room is not that big. The kids play area takes up a lot of the left end, the kitchen area takes up most of the right end of the building.

It's a long skinny tube....

And the parking lot! forget it...

I think that I read this one is 7000 square feet. The previous one was 2000 square feet. So 3.5 times bigger and I am assuming previous one was a standard size one.

If you guys think this one is horrible, imagine if they had done one like the interstate one in a small city in Oklahoma which used to be the largest one in the country.

It would have been super cool if they had and put it over 123, and have a little lane off 123 that you could pull off into to go up to the drive thru window on the way to Clemson games, get your food and then just merge right back on 123. I'd probably move to Easley if they ever did that. LOL

Here is what could have been:

Old 07-11-2013, 02:21 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoyed3 View Post
It isn't about being proud of it or not, I think the unusual things like that is what gives a town some character and it is fun to poke fun of your town for things like that. I swear there were like 50 cars in that parking lot that day too. The one in Seneca is always packed out, and I wouldn't doubt Clemson one does a business. Maybe this is what the people at Clemson were talking about when they used the slogan There is Something in These Hills, the awesome super large McDonalds with tons of people in drive thru. what else could it be, really. LOL

For example, I always talk about the Thunderbird Motor Inn with features a country buffet restaurant. It has the coolest hotel sign in America that I have seen.

I also like things like road names in the South, like Whiskey Road in AIken or Gunbarrel Road in Chattannooga. You know they dont' have road names like that up north. Maybe New Hampshire. LOL

Having the "largest" of a fast food restaurant that nearly every town in America has isn't very unusual or character-building. Other quirky things I can see. But if you plop down the world's biggest taco bell and tout that as something that gives your town character, it probably means you don't have much character in general in the area.

Quirky things can certainly add character and there are lots of great examples in cities and towns all over, but a commodity item rarely adds character.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:57 AM

98 posts, read 218,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Having the "largest" of a fast food restaurant that nearly every town in America has isn't very unusual or character-building. Other quirky things I can see. But if you plop down the world's biggest taco bell and tout that as something that gives your town character, it probably means you don't have much character in general in the area.

Quirky things can certainly add character and there are lots of great examples in cities and towns all over, but a commodity item rarely adds character.
This sums it up - it's kind of depressing to just be adding more and more chain stores to Easley - there are very very few unique stores or restaurants. Thai Kitchen was one and they just went out of business. Unique one of a kind things are what gives a town character - something you have to drive there specifically for. If the only thing we have to show for the new growth is we now have a closer Wal-Mart, we aren't really getting ahead.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:32 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
This whole topic is absurd, in my opinion. The McD's in Easley is NOT the largest in the U.S. and doesn't appear to be close. It is just another ugly chain store on a federal highway ruined by ugly chain stores. I see absolutely nothing unique or attractive about it.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
This whole topic is absurd, in my opinion. The McD's in Easley is NOT the largest in the U.S. and doesn't appear to be close. It is just another ugly chain store on a federal highway ruined by ugly chain stores. I see absolutely nothing unique or attractive about it.

You seem to be taking this topic way too seriously.

It is the largest one that I have seen and I have travelled and moved around a good bit. Def. the largest one in South Carolina. It is 7000 sq feet. Most of them probably aren't bigger than 3000 sq feet. If it wasn't unique in its size, why would I have noticed it at all? If you know of one bigger in SC, outside of a resort one, or even the Southeast, let me know where it is.

The Powderville Post had an article saying it was one of the largest ones not at a resort place like that one Orlando which is really more of a mini-theme park.

The new McDonald's stores are not ugly, actually more attractive than many mom and pop stores. The one near me in COlumbia has a nicer interior by far than 5 guys and Smashburger.

It is unique because it is a much larger store than normal and extremely long. You can deny that all you want but sounds like you just hate chain restaurants for no rational reason that I can see. Looks like people in Easley like it.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by striketeamvic View Post
This sums it up - it's kind of depressing to just be adding more and more chain stores to Easley - there are very very few unique stores or restaurants. Thai Kitchen was one and they just went out of business. Unique one of a kind things are what gives a town character - something you have to drive there specifically for. If the only thing we have to show for the new growth is we now have a closer Wal-Mart, we aren't really getting ahead.
The reality is lot more people go to this McDonalds in Easley than your local mom and pop stores. Easley doesn't have many chain restaurants and stores, that is why I couldn't live over there. I am pretty sure this is the only one in Easley and there is probably another over in Powdersville on 153. Doesn't look like you too saturated with Mcdonalds and chain restaurants in Easley.

Walmarts tend to attract more retail and restaurants around it so that new walmart is driving all the new stuff you are seeing in Easley.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
The reality is lot more people go to this McDonalds in Easley than your local mom and pop stores. Easley doesn't have many chain restaurants and stores, that is why I couldn't live over there. I am pretty sure this is the only one in Easley and there is probably another over in Powdersville on 153. Doesn't look like you too saturated with Mcdonalds and chain restaurants in Easley.

Walmarts tend to attract more retail and restaurants around it so that new walmart is driving all the new stuff you are seeing in Easley.
I am confused why you say you couldn't live somewhere that doesn't have chain fast food restaurants like McDonalds? Doesn't matter to me, I just haven't heard many people say that. Or do you just mean chain stores period? I don't think anyone was saying that chains period are bad. We have some great ones here like Trader Joes and even Tupelo Honey is starting to become a "chain." I think they were just saying that having the largest fast food restaurant isn't really unique or exciting. It's just the "biggest" of a low-cost commodity store.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I am confused why you say you couldn't live somewhere that doesn't have chain fast food restaurants?
It is the lack of restaurants period that makes me less inclined to want to live in a place like Easley.

I'm not anti-chain restaurant and many of them are better than the moms and pops which also tend to be more expensive places.

I saw something the Easley mayor saying they are ok being a bedroom community for Greenville, and Anderson. LOL, I can see Greenville a little bit but when you are ok being a bedroom community for a small town like Anderson, that is funny to me.

But some of you guys make it sound like there are numerous McDonalds and fast food joints strung along 123 and I have never noticed very many and I've had plenty of time to look around on the way to Clemson games sitting in traffic there. LOL. Seems like you probably got one of each of the ones you see everywhere.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
It is the lack of restaurants period that makes me less inclined to want to live in a place like Easley.

I'm not anti-chain restaurant and many of them are better than the moms and pops which also tend to be more expensive places.

I saw something the Easley mayor saying they are ok being a bedroom community for Greenville, and Anderson. LOL, I can see Greenville a little bit but when you are ok being a bedroom community for a small town like Anderson, that is funny to me.

But some of you guys make it sound like there are numerous McDonalds and fast food joints strung along 123 and I have never noticed very many and I've had plenty of time to look around on the way to Clemson games sitting in traffic there. LOL. Seems like you probably got one of each of the ones you see everywhere.
I have no idea. I've only been to Easley once in my life, so I wasn't saying that there were fast food restaurants everywhere. Maybe someone else said that. I was just replying to the fact that, in my opinion, a fast food joint should not be a big enough splash that it adds "character" to a city or town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area