Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 01:20 PM

635 posts, read 754,609 times

Advertisements

I already have a FT M-F day job, but like to keep busy and thought about getting a side job to pay off my student loans quicker (plus extra spending cash would be nice too). My question is if anyone has suggestions from experience or know those who have worked somewhere on which local restaurants pay the best with tips. There's the "obvious" $$$$ places like BIN112 or Halls, but I'm looking for somewhere between Greer and Woodruff Rd (not downtown Gville), and where prior restaurant experience isn't required.

And just a side note...I'm not really looking for a hostess job. I'm wanting to do this for the possibility of a large amount of tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 08:24 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,269 times
Selling stuff on eBay might help, or driving for Uber. Or is that safe for a "gal" to do? I don't know. Maybe not.

What about delivering pizzas?

Sorry, I don't know high-tip restaurants between Greer and Woodruff Road that don't require experience. I'd just be guessing.

Also, have you tried reading Dave Ramsey's books or listening to his radio show and podcast? He has really good ideas for getting out of debt. Sometimes an extra job is good, but budgeting is also needed. With a good budget, you might not need that second job.

I just checked out his new book from the County library for free.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:11 AM

321 posts, read 407,095 times
Twin Peaks?

Old 05-03-2016, 07:44 AM

635 posts, read 754,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russwd View Post
Twin Peaks?
I respect myself more enough than to work there

P.S. - Sorry if any of those reading this works there.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:24 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Waffle House? Wife worked there one summer when she was at Clemson. Actually worked at 2 different ones now that I think about. She made enough during the school year to almost pay for her tuition, and during the summer she worked a different one and made easily 150 - 200 in tips in the mornings, A DAY. Of course both of these were at prime locations for truckers and vacationers to stop.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:41 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
but I'm looking for somewhere between Greer and Woodruff Rd (not downtown Gville), and where prior restaurant experience isn't required.
I don't know what kind of experience they require, but within that area there are actually a lot of places that you could try. These are just a few off the top of my head....

Woodruff Rd:

-Carolina Ale House
-Bar Louie
-Yard House
-Firebirds
-Bad Daddy Burger Bar

And Pelham Rd has...

-Bacon Bros
-California Dreaming
-Joe's Crab Shack

...Along with a handful of others that I'm drawing a blank on at the moment. Pull into the area behind the Fox-21 station and you'll see them all.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:43 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
I worked at a restaurant after college (thanks to the collapsed economy). Most (that have good tip possibility)won't hire you as a waitress without experience. You will also be bottom of the food chain so to say and the busy days with good tips will go to those who have been there longest so I'm doubtful you would really make money especially only having two days of the week available.

You could get a host job. Hosts get paid decently if they help when not busy and are a part of tip sharing. I made as much as the waitresses at times but I also worked my ass off to bust tables and keep drinks filled. Working at a restaurant isn't easy extra money though. If you are doing you job right it's incredibly stressful, hard, and exhausting work.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 05-03-2016 at 09:53 AM..

Old 05-03-2016, 05:10 PM

723 posts, read 1,150,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
And Pelham Rd has...

-Bacon Bros
-California Dreaming
-Joe's Crab Shack

...Along with a handful of others that I'm drawing a blank on at the moment. Pull into the area behind the Fox-21 station and you'll see them all.
Add to this list the fancy Chophouse 47. It's an upscale eatery. I could be wrong, but I would expect the tips to be good there.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:19 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
Look into a country club. The gratuity is added automatically, the closing time tends to be earlier and the clientele is known and generally well behaved. Fewer drunks getting obnoxious (not impossible, but fewer). Get to know what the regulars want and you'll get extra tips.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:03 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I worked at a restaurant after college (thanks to the collapsed economy). Most (that have good tip possibility)won't hire you as a waitress without experience. You will also be bottom of the food chain so to say and the busy days with good tips will go to those who have been there longest so I'm doubtful you would really make money especially only having two days of the week available.

You could get a host job. Hosts get paid decently if they help when not busy and are a part of tip sharing. I made as much as the waitresses at times but I also worked my ass off to bust tables and keep drinks filled. Working at a restaurant isn't easy extra money though. If you are doing you job right it's incredibly stressful, hard, and exhausting work.
Yes to this.

I think the OP is a bit naive on the restaurant industry. Waiting tables is very hard work. You don't just walk into a successful restaurant with no experience and pick a few part time wait shifts on the side that you like.

You start as a host/hostess, or washing dishes and learn how things work. You get the crappy lunch shifts first. You work your way up and it's difficult work, and it takes time and experience to become a good server who makes good money.

With all due respect, the original post here is a bit of an insult to waiters and waitresses - that this is such a no-brainer job that you can just walk in and get a job (because you're awesome?), be good at it, and make good money as something on the side. It doesn't work like that.

If you were to apply to a decent restaurant and manage to get an interview, they are usually held between 2-4 mon-thurs, meaning you'll have to take off time from your other job. Do you know anything about how a restaurant works? Any of the lingo, or processes?

If you managed to get hired with no experience (not likely), your first shifts would be lunch during the week to see if you can handle things, and to learn. You won't make much money at all on these shifts, as you shouldn't because you don't know what you are doing.

After some time, if you manage to hang in there, you can get dinner shifts. After your night shift, you will be tired and wired at the same time. Parts of you may hurt, but there is no way you can just go home and go to sleep and you'll likely be up late. Your day job will suffer.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, just trying to introduce some reality here.

Last edited by Art123; 05-04-2016 at 06:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area