U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2008, 08:24 PM
 
5,340 posts, read 12,344,123 times
Reputation: 1159

Advertisements

Huckabee also used the "the draft had ended" thingey- of course he could have enlisted....

Romney sat out Vietnam on Religious Deferment because he was working as a missionariy in FRANCE.

So stop the BS about attacking Obama.... he came of age at a time when there WERE no wars...quite unlike now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2008, 08:30 PM
 
1,176 posts, read 1,593,572 times
Reputation: 258
Last I checked Huckaby and Romney weren't running for anything. Obama is the candidate so it not unrealistic to look at his non-service and look at his lack of military background when evaluating a potential Commander.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 08:58 PM
 
5,527 posts, read 8,775,178 times
Reputation: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
Last I checked Huckaby and Romney weren't running for anything. Obama is the candidate so it not unrealistic to look at his non-service and look at his lack of military background when evaluating a potential Commander.
Bush, Clinton.....last two Presidents.....no real military experience, 16 years in office between the two who cares. It's only an issue because it's the only thing McCain has over Obama, otherwise they are both idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 09:01 PM
 
716 posts, read 1,498,445 times
Reputation: 259
What in the world do Romney & Huckabee have to do with anything?

That's like criticizing Obama for decisions Hillary made in her past.

The dumbing down of this election continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 09:06 PM
 
1,176 posts, read 1,593,572 times
Reputation: 258
We weren't in a war when Clinton and Bush were running. Also for some reason Obama just seems to be totally out of his league when it comes to military. Seems more like a Community Organizer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 09:06 PM
 
1,881 posts, read 2,366,945 times
Reputation: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
Last I checked Huckaby and Romney weren't running for anything. Obama is the candidate so it not unrealistic to look at his non-service and look at his lack of military background when evaluating a potential Commander.
Exactly what I was going to say.

So stop the BS about people who are not running for this office.

Most of us do not have to evaluate him, he is doing it all for us and he is not capable of being a commander of a boy scout troop let alone an army of men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 09:15 PM
 
2,305 posts, read 2,672,563 times
Reputation: 330
There is a completely different standard on Obama than for any other candidate in history from those that have absolutely no intention of voting for him.

He is required to turn over his kindergarten records
He is required to serve in the military
He is required to be accountable for everything anyone has ever done or will do if he has ever met them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 09:41 PM
 
1,598 posts, read 2,582,245 times
Reputation: 693
I feel safer having a president who has good diplomacy skills than one with first hand military experience. The idea is to avoid war whenever possible, not to win wars.

Listening to McCain talk about almost nothing but war and potential conflicts, I think his military experience may actually have limited his vision as to how deal with conflict in any other way than direct confrontation. That is his frame of reference and I'm not at all certain that it would make him a good president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Eastern Shore
1,827 posts, read 2,296,529 times
Reputation: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
There is a completely different standard on Obama than for any other candidate in history from those that have absolutely no intention of voting for him.

He is required to turn over his kindergarten records
He is required to serve in the military
He is required to be accountable for everything anyone has ever done or will do if he has ever met them

Can he drive and handle his alcohol better then his father?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 09:56 PM
 
451 posts, read 1,096,831 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
I feel safer having a president who has good diplomacy skills than one with first hand military experience. The idea is to avoid war whenever possible, not to win wars.

Listening to McCain talk about almost nothing but war and potential conflicts, I think his military experience may actually have limited his vision as to how deal with conflict in any other way than direct confrontation. That is his frame of reference and I'm not at all certain that it would make him a good president.

Anybody who is coming from a military background should actually understand what a war is and what a war aint. The current administration has no clue about this and chased away the only person(C.Powell) who understood the dangers of war. McCain keeps using his military background, but the truth is that he didn't do to hot. He was passed up for major command, crashed a few jets, and was a hot head when he was in charge. I do honor his service, but he needs to stop using his military service as a shield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top