Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 07:32 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,607,776 times

Advertisements

Tyler, is it possible to obtain any other ABC stations OTA other than WLOS for Greenville residents? I despise Asheville's WLOS - it just seems like a very low budget/amateur operation compared to every other station in Upstate SC (even Fox Carolina) - what about Columbia, Charlotte, or even Atlanta's ABC affiliate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 09:51 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,236,505 times
I recall WLOS-TV simulcasted its programming on WMYA-TV as WAXA-TV in the early 1990's.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:06 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,353,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Tyler, is it possible to obtain any other ABC stations OTA other than WLOS for Greenville residents? I despise Asheville's WLOS - it just seems like a very low budget/amateur operation compared to every other station in Upstate SC (even Fox Carolina) - what about Columbia, Charlotte, or even Atlanta's ABC affiliate?
Unfortunately, WLOS is the only ABC option for Greenville County. But in Spartanburg County, you can get WSOC Channel 9 from Charlotte. In Greenville, WSOC will sometimes come in at night. But you can receive CBS, NBC, and FOX affiliates from Charlotte, as well as the local GSP stations. Regretably ABC is the limited option in Greenville. And Greenville is too far to receive WSB Channel 2 from Atlanta. However, south of Anderson you may be able to receive a WSB translator signal that serves northern Georgia.

If you want to watch Channel 9 Eyewitness News from Charlotte, there is a direct WSOC newscast app available on Samsung Smart TVs, as well as Amazon Fire and Roku streaming boxes.

And I agree, WYFF-4, WBTV-3, and WSOC-9 are much more professional news operations than WLOS-13. And WSPA-7 and WHNS-21 also do a good job. However, from a cosmetic standpoint, WLOS does have a very nice news studio, whereas WHNS needs an upgrade. WBTV and WSOC also have nice modern studios, with WBTV having the newest set.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:14 PM

WLOS did have an FCC permit for a translator booster signal on Paris Mountain, which would serve Greenville County and the Upstate. But apparently they have postponed those plans, and the future status is unclear. But this would resolve the reception issues in Greenville if it ever comes to pass. Otherwise, they should simulcast WLOS on WMYA as suggested as an alternative solution.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:23 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,236,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Unfortunately, WLOS is the only ABC option for Greenville County. But in Spartanburg County, you can get WSOC Channel 9 from Charlotte. In Greenville, WSOC will sometimes come in at night. But you can receive CBS, NBC, and FOX affiliates from Charlotte, as well as the local GSP stations. Regretably ABC is the limited option in Greenville. And Greenville is too far to receive WSB Channel 2 from Atlanta. However, south of Anderson you may be able to receive a WSB translator signal that serves northern Georgia.

If you want to watch Channel 9 Eyewitness News from Charlotte, there is a direct WSOC newscast app available on Samsung Smart TVs, as well as Amazon Fire and Roku streaming boxes.

And I agree, WYFF-4, WBTV-3, and WSOC-9 are much more professional news operations than WLOS-13. And WSPA-7 and WHNS-21 also do a good job. However, from a cosmetic standpoint, WLOS does have a very nice news studio, whereas WHNS needs an upgrade. WBTV and WSOC also have nice modern studios, with WBTV having the newest set.
WBTV-TV is easy to get in Spartanburg County.

I find WSPA-TV and WLOS-TV/WMYA-TV to have better news operations and to have gained ground on WYFF-TV. WHNS-TV is distant and needs to refresh its news operation and set.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:41 PM

I think WYFF-4 under Hearst has a very professional and award winning news operation. WSPA-7 also does a good job, but is plagued by the limited resources of Media General. And they tend to overhype and sensationalize a bit much. And their current set, while relatively new, looks cheap and unappealing when compared to other stations. WBTV-3 has a very nice set, and I will concede Sinclair has a very nice HD studio for WLOS-13 as well. I agree WHNS-21 indeed needs improvement.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:42 PM

WBTV-3 can also be received in many areas of Greenville County.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:55 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,607,776 times
Tyler, can any areas of Upstate SC receive WOLO ABC out of Columbia, SC?
Can you receive any Columbia, SC television stations in Mauldin?

Old 10-25-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Tyler, can any areas of Upstate SC receive WOLO ABC out of Columbia, SC?
Can you receive any Columbia, SC television stations in Mauldin?
Columbia stations include WOLO-25 and WIS-10.

But, no I do not receive any Columbia stations. I believe the Columbia stations make it as far as Laurens County, but not really Greenville or Spartanburg. Perhaps on the edge of Fountain Inn, but I am not sure. The Charlotte stations are the only neighboring market channels reliably received in parts of Greenville and Spartanburg counties.

But up in York County, in areas such as Rock Hill and Fort Mill, you can receive stations from all 3 markets with an antenna: Charlotte, Columbia, and Greenville-Spartanburg.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:31 PM

266 posts, read 300,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Yall need to come over to my house and watch the ball game. LOL Yeah, you can't get ball games on Hula.

Yall need to listen to me or Tyler and do what we say and you probably will get 13. Their sub channel is good, too. Antenna TV I think. Lots of good old shows like Sanford and Son, Good times, the Jeffersons, Kotter.

I need to just quit my lousy job and install antennas for people.

I will admit some of yall might not have good line of sight to their tower and that might make it hard to get.
Line of sight issue. I have both c-band and Ku band satellite dishes tracking the arc from 30 west to 135 west so my RF aiming is pretty good and understood.
You would think ABC would want their presence known in the upstate,but I guess we are not that important to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area