Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 02:12 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Perhaps not the correct type of antenna. The flat panel styles are not optimized for VHF, as they primarily receive UHF. WSPA channel 7 has a strong VHF signal, but 13-WLOS is a bit problematic and more subject to interference.

If you are using an indoor antenna, it should be placed in a room near the window nearest the direction of the broadcast signal towers. Walls will block the signal.

For VHF channels such as 7 and 13, rabbit ears work best. So you may want to try an amplified rabbit ears and loop antenna from Radioshack, or a Terk HDTVa sold at HHG. But be careful with an amp so you don't overpower. And an FM trap helps prevent interference with 13.

Better antennas are the Clearstream 2V sold at Walmart or the Clearstream 4V sold at Best Buy. But even with those antennas the single VHF dipole may be inferior for 13. You may need to consider the RCA attic/outdoor antenna 751 from Walmart or order a Winegard 7694 online. The RCA antenna 751 is actually made by Winegard.
Yeah its an Insignia flat panel from Best Buy. 13 isnt that big a deal but she wants 7. I guess its moot now though as it looks like my parents will be keeping Directv after all, but I still think if ABC13 is going to be in our market, everyone in the Upstate should be able to recieve it, and vise versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 09:23 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Yeah its an Insignia flat panel from Best Buy. 13 isnt that big a deal but she wants 7. I guess its moot now though as it looks like my parents will be keeping Directv after all, but I still think if ABC13 is going to be in our market, everyone in the Upstate should be able to recieve it, and vise versa.
Try a stronger antenna. I started with that one and had the same results at my home in Mauldin. Took it to Mom's, also in Mauldin and she was able to get 7 but not 13. We bought a flat panel at Walmart for $50-$60 and now I get 7 and 13 at my house. Haven't tried that one at Mom's yet. I had to give up cable TV and she will have to do the same soon. Charter just raised internet by $5/month. I have a subscription to hulu which is $9/month and I can watch all the shows I care to watch when I want to watch them.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:37 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Try a stronger antenna. I started with that one and had the same results at my home in Mauldin. Took it to Mom's, also in Mauldin and she was able to get 7 but not 13. We bought a flat panel at Walmart for $50-$60 and now I get 7 and 13 at my house. Haven't tried that one at Mom's yet. I had to give up cable TV and she will have to do the same soon. Charter just raised internet by $5/month. I have a subscription to hulu which is $9/month and I can watch all the shows I care to watch when I want to watch them.
The Clearstream 2V is sold at Walmart for $79. It is a good indoor/attic/outdoor antenna. Add the Onn brand inline amp also sold at Walmart for $14 and it will provide reliable reception. It can also receive WBTV from Charlotte. I would avoid most of those flat panels as they have limitations and are not optimized for VHF channels such as 7 and 13.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:28 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
For those of you that can receive WLOS(13.1) in the upstate there is a new sports channel on 13.4 called "Stadium". It even has the sports schedule and score ticker at the bottom. Not bad for free TV and those cable cutters that may miss ESPN.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:59 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Is it really THAT hard to stick a better signal tower on top of Paris Mountain?

Old 10-14-2018, 11:23 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,025 times
If you watch WLOS news, they cover NC news almost exclusively. Even the weather forecasts usually omit the names of the major SC towns. They will say "upstate" or "Greer" once in awhile, but not much.

Their advertising is also usually Asheville or Hendersonville businesses. One might conclude they don't want viewership high from SC.

That said, I have two clearstream 4Vs and they both give me crystal clear WLOS with no cable or satellite. Before I got those, no WLOS in Greenville for me.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:52 AM

446 posts, read 415,478 times
Wish WLOS would just die or go off on its own. Get the Upstate its own ABC affiliate.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:03 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Sounds like too much work just for one tv station. Lol.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP69 View Post
Wish WLOS would just die or go off on its own. Get the Upstate its own ABC affiliate.
In Spartanburg County you can receive ABC affiliate WSOC from Charlotte, either 9.1 or the 9.9 translator. With a good UHF antenna and amplifier. But their signal does not normally reach into Greenville County, except at night. You can more reliably receive WBTV from Charlotte, but WSPA is more easily available for CBS as well.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Is it really THAT hard to stick a better signal tower on top of Paris Mountain?
It is very difficult to receive the Paris Mountain translator for WLOS, trasmitting on channel 31. But their power level is dictated by the FCC. Also the WSPA translator on Paris Mountain is even weaker, on VHF channel 10. But they are also limited by the FCC. The power levels need to be increased on these digital translators, as they are not strong enough to reliably receive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area