Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:22 AM

12 posts, read 19,104 times

Advertisements

There would be school closures for sure if they did split into districts. As in permanent closure of some of the smaller schools in northern Greenville that are in areas that do not have the tax base to support the schools. As has been said above, the inconvenience of a couple of days out of a year, and even some years where weather does not even come into play, it is not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If Greenville County was split into two or more school districts, any school needing to close because of inclement weather would be restricted to its geographical district.

I think Greenville County could benefit from several school districts if done properly. Spartanburg County and Anderson County school districts are good case studies. I will save the idea of Greenville County school district division for another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 11:34 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treymc7 View Post
There would be school closures for sure if they did split into districts. As in permanent closure of some of the smaller schools in northern Greenville that are in areas that do not have the tax base to support the schools. As has been said above, the inconvenience of a couple of days out of a year, and even some years where weather does not even come into play, it is not worth it.
Spartanburg has districts and they close certain ones when needed, so it seems to work well for them.

But I agree, no reason to spend a ton of money to split the district just to save a couple of snow days a year.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treymc7 View Post
Spartanburg County School District Four's schools are open today. Spartanburg County's six other school districts are closed.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:04 PM

632 posts, read 747,917 times
My daughter works at a school in the Spartanburg School System. It's in a poor district (title one school) that constantly gets the short straw in reference to local funding. Be very careful of that for which you wish. A few snow closure days is a small price for avoiding the inequality of resources that multiple districts can and often do create.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:45 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
Is it really saving cost, or do they want to have one Greenville County School District because some parts of Greenville County aren't trusted to run a good school district on their own? I have my suspicions. . .

Last edited by gvsteve; 01-10-2017 at 01:53 PM..

Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
I didn't realize it would be a cost issue. I thought it would just be a matter of assigning the schools to a number or letter. If you fall into that number, school is closed. If not, school is open. I wouldn't think anything else would have to be changed.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Is it really saving cost, or do they want to have one Greenville County School District because some parts of Greenville County aren't trusted to run a good school district on their own? I have my suspicions. . .
Greenville County has negative areas that have very good schools.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:16 PM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I didn't realize it would be a cost issue. I thought it would just be a matter of assigning the schools to a number or letter. If you fall into that number, school is closed. If not, school is open. I wouldn't think anything else would have to be changed.
I believe each district would need it's own administration department. So that would increase costs.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:37 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Greenville County has negative areas that have very good schools.
Do you mean Greenville County has bad areas with very good schools? If so, I would say this is probably credited to having the one county-wide-district.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:28 PM

A countywide school district has nothing to do with better performing schools in bad areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area