Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 07:12 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
I've seen some pretty big acts go to BSWA recently that didn't play in Columbia. So that's debatable I guess. The Peace Center also gets it's fair share of stuff, then you also have the amphitheater in Simpsonville that gets some decent stuff.

I'm inclined to agree on the smaller venues. Although they're getting ready to open one or two I believe.
Does Columbia have a outdoor concert venue like Heritage Park? I can't think of any but there may be one down by the river.

I think there is one or plans to build one between Charleston and Columbia, which seems kind of weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 07:58 AM

I checked out the list of outdoor amphitheaters on Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._amphitheatres

It looks like Heritage Park is in the upper half in this country in terms of capacity, assuming the capacity numbers are legit. This list indicates Heritage Park is the 4th largest amphitheater in Georgia and the Carolinas.

Heritage Park and the small one on Clemson's campus are the only two listed for SC. I don't see one listed for Asheville which is surprising to me if it has a lot of music festivals.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:15 AM

207 posts, read 216,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I think there is one or plans to build one between Charleston and Columbia, which seems kind of weird.
This is the one closer to Charleston that opened in 2017, I believe:
https://www.free-times.com/music/mus...1d1f43771.html

Old 01-25-2018, 08:32 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aville2Gville View Post
I used to work for Live Nation so I might be able to shed some light here. Greenville’s issues are its venues or lack there of. Greenville doesn’t really have a place for festival acts to perform - think Musical Hall and Music Farm in Charleston, Township auditorium and Music Farm in Columbia, Orange Peel and Asheville Music Hall in Asheville. As for as big name acts -Maroon 5, Elton John, Janet Jackson - they will usually choose Colonial Life Arena over Bon Secours because the arena is larger/newer. I’m hoping the Firmament helps bring in some acts. Hope this helps!
The Orange Peel sized venue is one that is currently missing from Greenville. The Handlebar used to somewhat fill this need in the market but there isn't really anything like that currently in Greenville. Like you mention, hopefully the Firmament will fill this space in this market but its current capacity is around 500, which is about half of the Orange Peel's seating capacity.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:01 AM

453 posts, read 646,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Heritage Park and the small one on Clemson's campus are the only two listed for SC. I don't see one listed for Asheville which is surprising to me if it has a lot of music festivals.
How many music festivals did Heritage Park host last year? Looking at the events listed on their Facebook page, it looks like the answer is "zero". Doing some quick Googling, it looks like Asheville's approach to hosting music festivals is similar to Greenville's.

As far as concerts go, it looks like Heritage Park only had a handful last year (although they are largely impressive names): Paul Simon, Dirty Heads + SOJA (not familiar), Slightly Stoopid, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Third Eye Blind, and the Oak Ridge Boys. That's all that's listed on Heritage Park's Facebook page, anyway.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:27 AM

214 posts, read 301,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aville2Gville View Post
I've been really impressed with the acts that the Peace Center/Koger Center/N Charleston performing arts center have drawn. 'Hamilton' is coming to Greenville(Peace) and Book of Mormon(Koger) is coming to Columbia.
Book of Mormon came to the Peace Center last year. From what I heard, most (if not all of the shows) were a sell out or near sell out.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gville75 View Post
This is the one closer to Charleston that opened in 2017, I believe:
https://www.free-times.com/music/mus...1d1f43771.html
That is the one that I was referring to.

I think Bowman is at least 1 hour from Charleston. It isn't far from Orangeburg.

It looks like they had to cancel a music festival already. The website link on Google maps is broken so perhaps the venue is out of business already.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:52 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
The Orange Peel sized venue is one that is currently missing from Greenville. The Handlebar used to somewhat fill this need in the market but there isn't really anything like that currently in Greenville. Like you mention, hopefully the Firmament will fill this space in this market but its current capacity is around 500, which is about half of the Orange Peel's seating capacity.
Rock at Revel took over The Handlebar. The venue is very nice. I have been to a couple concerts there with tribute bands. It is similar to The Orange Peel. I don't know why they don't host more shows though? The Orange Peel has something going on every night. I am aware of The Filament. Hopefully, this can help fill the void. I do think there is a lack of music halls in Greenville that hold the capacity needed for these acts.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:19 PM

Heritage Park Amphitheatre in the past week has announced several concerts for this year.

Heritage Park Amphitheatre (formerly Charter Spectrum Amphitheatre) – Formerly Charter Spectrum Amphitheatre | Simpsonville, South Carolina

Old 03-26-2018, 02:33 PM

Collective Soul, 3 Doors Down, and Soul Asylum are playing at Heritage Park Amphitheatre on August 25th.

Heritage Park Amphitheatre (formerly Charter Spectrum Amphitheatre) – Formerly Charter Spectrum Amphitheatre | Simpsonville, South Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area