Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 02:52 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
How many music festivals did Heritage Park host last year? Looking at the events listed on their Facebook page, it looks like the answer is "zero". Doing some quick Googling, it looks like Asheville's approach to hosting music festivals is similar to Greenville's.

As far as concerts go, it looks like Heritage Park only had a handful last year (although they are largely impressive names): Paul Simon, Dirty Heads + SOJA (not familiar), Slightly Stoopid, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Third Eye Blind, and the Oak Ridge Boys. That's all that's listed on Heritage Park's Facebook page, anyway.
I never said Heritage Park hosted music festivals.

My point was that given Asheville is often presented as a great music city and Greenville is often presented as weak for live music, I am surprised Greenville has an amphitheatre and Asheville does not.

It seems the larger music festivals would want a larger venue than out on the street in the downtown area. It looks like Asheville canceled a popular free city funded music festival held in its downtown area because it was hurting business at downtown stores and restaurants. It appears that it did not relocate to another location. Supposedly 300,000 people were attending this festival but the city was still losing money on it.

It is also surprising to me that Charleston and Columbia and Athens do not have amphitheaters, given the large universities in each.

I would conclude that there isn't a huge demand for amphitheaters, probably because musicians prefer to play indoors or fans would rather go to concerts indoors..

I never thought of the live music in downtown Greenville for Fall for Greenville and other events as a music festival.

Greenville / Simpsonville had more amphitheater concerts than cities that don't have an amphitheater.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-26-2018 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 06:57 AM

730 posts, read 775,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post

My point was that given Asheville is often presented as a great music city and Greenville is often presented as weak for live music, I am surprised Greenville has an amphitheatre and Asheville does not.

It seems the larger music festivals would want a larger venue than out on the street in the downtown area. It looks like Asheville canceled a popular free city funded music festival held in its downtown area because it was hurting business at downtown stores and restaurants. It appears that it did not relocate to another location. Supposedly 300,000 people were attending this festival but the city was still losing money on it.

It is also surprising to me that Charleston and Columbia and Athens do not have amphitheaters, given the large universities in each.

I would conclude that there isn't a huge demand for amphitheaters, probably because musicians prefer to play indoors or fans would rather go to concerts indoors..

I never thought of the live music in downtown Greenville for Fall for Greenville and other events as a music festival.

Greenville / Simpsonville had more amphitheater concerts than cities that don't have an amphitheater.
Weather- There aren't many amphitheaters where there is 8 months of heat and humidity.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:13 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post

I don't know about Columbia or Athens ...But Charleston has a outdoor venue at the Volvo Center that seats 8500 and has regular concerts during the spring and summer , a 14,000 Performing arts center and .. tho not a amphitheater ... one of the largest music, dance and theater festivals in the country ... the three week Spoleto festival at venues through out the City.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:42 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Asheville, New Orleans, Nashville, Memphis, Austin, Chicago are cities that have a well known culture of live music. Not in the sense of amphitheater concerts, but people playing instruments outside on every block, people dancing on the sidewalk, bars being heavily dance oriented, music spilling onto the street, festivals on top of festivals, etc.

Greenville has a guy on the corner playing a saxophone and there is nothing like a Beale or Bourbon Street, it's different. There is live music here and there and there's relaxing festivals like FFG, but there is not a culture based around it like Asheville. That is why Asheville is considered a superior music city because that is its culture like Vegas' culture is gambling and Aspen's is skiing.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
I don't know about Columbia or Athens ...But Charleston has a outdoor venue at the Volvo Center that seats 8500 and has regular concerts during the spring and summer , a 14,000
The Volvo Center has more shows than I realized. I guess it could be added to the list of contemporary amphitheatres Wikipedia page. SC only has two listed, Heritage Park and the small one on campus at Clemson University.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._amphitheatres

Clemson University had some big names play in the football stadium back in the day. I'm not sure why they don't book shows anymore. Perhaps the people were trashing the campus.

https://www.setlist.fm/venue/memoria...-73d62661.html

It is pretty crazy that the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, The Eagles, U2, Elton John, Billy Joel, and Rage Against the Machine have been to and rocked little ClemVegas.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-28-2018 at 10:10 AM..

Old 03-28-2018, 04:12 PM

Asheville doesn't have any major music festivals like SXSW and Austin City Limits in Austin, and others around the country like Lollapalooza, Bonnaroo, Coachella, MusicFest, Governors Ball, Hangout Fest, Shaky Knees, etc. I went to several websites that list the 'best' music festivals and I did not see any festivals in Asheville. Here's one example: https://seatgeek.com/tba/festivals/music-festivals/

Look at Asheville's tourism website, it looks like most of their live music events are pretty similar to the ones you find in Greenville and Upstate such as Fall for Greenville, Thursday Downtown Alive, Heritage Main Street Fridays, etc. https://www.exploreasheville.com/sto...sic-festivals/

As I mentioned, Asheville cancelled its largest 'signature' music festival 5 years ago that was supposedly drawing 300,000 people. Here is a rundown of a bunch of Asheville music festivals that were cancelled back in 2013. https://www.citizen-times.com/story/...celed/7331483/ There is another one called Moogfest that moved to Durham even though the person it was named after had lived in Asheville for 30 years.

Greenville has the Skunkfest music festival twice a year north of Greer. http://albinoskunk.com/about/ SkunkFest features folk, acoustic, roots and bluegrass which is similar to a lot of Asheville and NC mountain festivals. You can camp out or take your RV out to the farm. For me a real music festival involves people camping out.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-28-2018 at 04:53 PM..

Old 03-31-2018, 09:55 AM

Imagine Dragons is doing a show at Columbia's arena this summer. Jay Z and Beyonce are doing a show at Uni of SC's football stadium in August.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:09 AM

Sister Hazel and The Marshall Tucker Band are both doing shows in August at the Peace Center's TD Stage on the river.

Sister Hazel is also performing at the new grass seat Icehouse amphitheater in downtown Lexington this summer.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:12 PM

300 posts, read 254,799 times
One of the nicest and most underused Amphitheaters is in downtown Spartanburg. Barnet Park- Zimmerli Amphitheater seats 6,000 people. It has 1,100 fixed seats and 4,900 terraced lawn seats. it is owned and operated by the City of Spartanburg.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nans123 View Post
One of the nicest and most underused Amphitheaters is in downtown Spartanburg. Barnet Park- Zimmerli Amphitheater seats 6,000 people. It has 1,100 fixed seats and 4,900 terraced lawn seats. it is owned and operated by the City of Spartanburg.
Wow. I didn't know about that one even though I worked in Spartanburg for two years.

There is another grass seat amphitheater in the SC Botanical Garden in Clemson. They have had concerts on Friday nights in the spring and summer in the past. It has a capacity of 400 people. I like that it is in a wooded area. It is similar to one on UNC's campus.

There is a proposal for a 8000 seat amphitheater in Athens. It would be cool to catch an outdoor REM show over there.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-02-2018 at 04:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area