Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2019, 08:18 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times

Advertisements

Jennifer Valdez, former meteorologist with WYFF, has been promoted to Chief Meteorologist of WGCL in Atlanta, Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 04:24 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
WHNS' news operation leaves much to be desired in organization and quality of reporting and talent.
Agreed. But that's what I watch. I really wish 7 would go back to just the one newsroom.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:54 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
I think some of these stations are run by big corporations that aren't interested in retaining higher paid on air people for decades but hiring people just out of school on the cheap. Gone are the days when they had to work there way up.

The channel 7 split newscast is annoying.

Last edited by vistatiger; 05-24-2019 at 06:15 AM..

Old 05-24-2019, 07:06 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Agreed. But that's what I watch. I really wish 7 would go back to just the one newsroom.
If any station needs more than one newsroom, at least two newsrooms would be needed in Greenville and in Asheville.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:34 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
If any station needs more than one newsroom, at least two newsrooms would be needed in Greenville and in Asheville.
I can remember when 4 and 7 did have like 3 or 4 different newsrooms, but they never broadcasted half the news like 7 does now. It was merely a place to go for reporters to tell a news story from that certain area. This whole concept 7 has is beyond ridculous to me, but I prefer the "old" ways of telling the news. For example, I would expect a chief meteorologist to be on the evening news, not first thing in the morning. Not that I like Christy Henderson to start with, but I think Bickford and Rogers do a much better job, and one of them should be CM, in my opinion.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:50 PM

428 posts, read 362,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
I'm sure this is going to sound snarky, but really not mean't to be, but new restaurants and even grocery stores are way more impactful and interesting than the comings and goings of local talking heads
Amen

Old 05-24-2019, 05:55 PM

266 posts, read 300,587 times
I work at a repair shop that also has a towing business. We have reporters come out fairly often after a fatality. To be honest with you, Lauren has a huge attitude. I never cared for her after the first few times she came to the shop.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:38 AM

5,159 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Longtime upstate anchor Diana Watson leaving Fox Carolina for another position at YMCA. Morning anchor Lauren Elise is leaving this week.

http://ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/5/...-in-greenville
Possibly leaving over salary issues or they may just be seeking a change of careers. I know their weekend anchor/reporter Derrick Dellinger left to go to WJZY-FOX46 Charlotte, a FOX owned and operated station.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
WHNS' news operation leaves much to be desired in organization and quality of reporting and talent.
It lacks a certain degree of professionalism. Too much joking and fooling around. And anchor Cody Alcorn often never seems to wear a suit jacket, which used to be a big protocol at professional news stations. And their master control is operated from Meredith station WGCL, CBS-46 in Atlanta.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I think some of these stations are run by big corporations that aren't interested in retaining higher paid on air people for decades but hiring people just out of school on the cheap. Gone are the days when they had to work there way up.

The channel 7 split newscast is annoying.
I agree the split newscast on WSPA is an annoying gimmick. If they try to emulate the Today Show from Rockefeller Plaza, they don't quite succeed locally. And the late night news looks terrible with the black background from Downtown Greenville. A window of blackness is unappealing. They should go back to the main Spartanburg studio, with an Asheville newsroom for live reports from Western NC as needed. And the main studio also looks cheap and unattractive, from a cosmetic standpoint. But owner Nexstar lacks the stronger economic resources of competitors Hearst and Sinclair, owners of WYFF and WLOS. They even grounded the WSPA news helicopter, which gives WYFF the edge in chopper coverage of car wrecks, shootings, fires, and other major events. But Nexstar did build a nice new studio set for their CBS affiliate in Raleigh, NC, so perhaps they may eventually upgrade WSPA. I think their lead anchors Tom Crabtree and Amy Wood are very professional, and do a good job, but the overall news presentation on WYFF looks much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area