Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 02:21 PM
tnt

47 posts, read 241,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeinSC View Post
TNT please check your facts: the median Household income as reported by the last census report (2000) is only $52,300 in Boiling Springs, true much has changed in town in the past 7 years (like a 500 unit apartment complex) and some new developement but B.S. is far from a "high incomed area". Money in Spartanburg lives in 3 places:
Eastside ( including Converse Heights, home to billionaire Roger Milliken)
Landrum (or on a horsefarm in school district 1)
Lake Bowen (5 miles north of B.S.)

Look B.S. is a decent place but it's no utopia. It was a rural southern crossroad until the ecomomy started to change 20 years ago. It will take it perhaps another 10 - 15 for it to feel like an Atlanta suburb.

I live here, i know the facts lol. And your calling $52,300 median household income 'low'?? Unbelievable. Do you realize there is 18 subdivisions with MINIMAL houses starting at $550,000 or more? I do appraisals, appraise 8 different counties of the upstate, and this area, is not only #1 in the state for growth, but for high incomed area, as you put it, it's also at the top of the list. This won't be an Atlanta suburb either, not with the county lines and limited area to expand, however, the area from Taylors(east of Greenville) along hwy. 29 through Greer to Lyman to Wellford could be considered that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 02:22 PM
tnt

47 posts, read 241,397 times
[quote=YankeeinSC;337557]
Lake Bowen (5 miles north of B.S.)

QUOTE]

Lake Bowen, is considered Boiling Springs also, another 'fact'. I lived there from 1999 to 2003. The north of side of the lake has Campobello areas to it, and the west side Inman, but all south and east and along it is B.S addresses.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:19 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,737 times
Good up to date info:

http://www.ecanned.com/SC/Spartanburg.shtml

Old 02-06-2007, 10:42 AM

80 posts, read 562,735 times
I wouldn't agree with the lack of decent restaurants that someone posted about earlier. There are some really nice places to eat there. There is a very nice Italian restaurant downtown that my husband took me to right before we moved back up north. I can't remember the name of it, but I believe it's close to the Spartanburg Public Library downtown. It's very small, but the owner is Italian. It's expensive (I think we paid $80 for just the two of us) but very, very good food. If you like sushi or Japanese food, there's Shogun's that's on highway 29 across from Target. Delicious food. It's one of those places that cooks right at the table. We miss that place. Greenville also has a lot of nice restaurants. My husband took me to a few other upscale small restaurants right in Spartanburg right before we moved that he had gone to with clients through his job. Lucky guy got to eat out frequently at nice upscale restaurants through his job. There is another really nice place to eat in downtown Spartanburg, but I'm not sure if it's in business anymore called the Ellis. Some of these are small out of the way places, but if you look, you can find them.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:09 PM

617 posts, read 2,572,667 times
Well if you're really hungry and craving excellent food, you can always make the 30 minute drive to Greenville. We have great restaurants all over, and plenty of good ones downtown. (And I'm not one to consider red lobster "fine dining", i consider it over-priced and out-of-the-freezer-food, gross.)

Old 02-07-2007, 08:51 AM

65 posts, read 193,016 times
Default Inman or Boiling Springs :)

Hi Everone,

Well I actually came down in September to look around as I have a friend that is moving there and she has friends that have moved there. So I looked in to Boiling Springs and Inman and thought it was a beautiful area, there was allot of restaurants and shopping on Hwy 9, and then a mall not to far away in Spartanburg, I ended up having a house built in Inman, in a beautiful new development, and the prices just blew me away, never dreamed I could have a beautiful new home in my whole life. However It was on the contingency I sell my home here which has not happened , so now I have 2 weeks left to find a buyer, well everything happens for a reason I guess. I had looked in to the schools and was very happy with what the Boiling Springs School had to offer and feel that my 13 and 16 year old would be very happy there, and I hear that the district 2 area is one of the best areas besides district 1. Rainbow road held such nice scenery, and the Christmas Tree Farm was amazing. I come from NJ, however was born and raised in Vermont till I was 21, so I'm more of a country girl, laid back, like calm living, not the rushing around, business of where i'm at now. I like the fact to that in Inman your near Greenville, Spartanburg, Boiling Springs, and the mountains so you have a variety of areas at your fingertips should you want sight see, go shopping etc. When I was down there I had eaten at Fatz Cafe, it was very good and actually reminded me of Applebee's. I also like the cracker barrell. I worry alittle bit about moving and my kids being unhappy, and hoping that the kids will be nice to them, but I guess no matter where your at you would feel that way, even being where i'm at now, kids can be kids. I kind of started to worry about ICE STORMS that I hear you have as the house I had built is all electric with the gas pack fireplace, so my question is what do you do during this time? and how long is your electric usually out? and is this common in the winter? I have so many questions, who is your phone company down there? cable company? Any info would be great thank you,
Mary

Old 02-07-2007, 07:08 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersml10 View Post
Hi Everone,

Well I actually came down in September to look around as I have a friend that is moving there and she has friends that have moved there. So I looked in to Boiling Springs and Inman and thought it was a beautiful area, there was allot of restaurants and shopping on Hwy 9, and then a mall not to far away in Spartanburg, I ended up having a house built in Inman, in a beautiful new development, and the prices just blew me away, never dreamed I could have a beautiful new home in my whole life. However It was on the contingency I sell my home here which has not happened , so now I have 2 weeks left to find a buyer, well everything happens for a reason I guess. I had looked in to the schools and was very happy with what the Boiling Springs School had to offer and feel that my 13 and 16 year old would be very happy there, and I hear that the district 2 area is one of the best areas besides district 1. Rainbow road held such nice scenery, and the Christmas Tree Farm was amazing. I come from NJ, however was born and raised in Vermont till I was 21, so I'm more of a country girl, laid back, like calm living, not the rushing around, business of where i'm at now. I like the fact to that in Inman your near Greenville, Spartanburg, Boiling Springs, and the mountains so you have a variety of areas at your fingertips should you want sight see, go shopping etc. When I was down there I had eaten at Fatz Cafe, it was very good and actually reminded me of Applebee's. I also like the cracker barrell. I worry alittle bit about moving and my kids being unhappy, and hoping that the kids will be nice to them, but I guess no matter where your at you would feel that way, even being where i'm at now, kids can be kids. I kind of started to worry about ICE STORMS that I hear you have as the house I had built is all electric with the gas pack fireplace, so my question is what do you do during this time? and how long is your electric usually out? and is this common in the winter? I have so many questions, who is your phone company down there? cable company? Any info would be great thank you,
Mary

cable is Charter Communications
phone is BellSouth

We tend to get a couple ice storms a year. Usually they're not super bad but I've gone without power for 4 days because of an ice storm. Some people had power out longer. It's not like we get storms like that every year.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:52 AM

15 posts, read 85,589 times
Default Vermont to Inman!

Basically you can forget about snow. So far this winter it "snowed" for about 2 hours then changed to sleet and rain. In the south it can be 28* outside and raining! That's why we get ice storms. Most people have small generators and back-up heat like a gas log fireplace to rely on during power outages. Whenever there is a threat of winter weather everyone freaks out and the world shuts down, it may never stick to the road but school/gov't and many employers close.
You will see cows but no Holsteins, Hollywild Zoo in Inman has 2 though.
Maple trees are rare and don't plant Bradford Pear trees, they grow ~10 years then break.
Asheville, NC about 1 hour north on I-26 is the a lot like Burlington, without a lake. They have snow and granolas there.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:24 AM

15 posts, read 59,118 times
Looking to relocate to Simpsonville in June and was wondering if anyone had some info concerning housing in Stonehaven. Are there block parties, bunco, pool parties? Looked there a couple of times and it quite a large neighborhood. My kids are both in middle school and I was wondering if there were lots kids that age or older. We live in NC now and moved to neighborhood 4 years ago that had lots of babies, not a lot friends for my guys. Also, does anyone have an opinion of Mauldin Middle School? Thanks in advance for your replies

Old 02-13-2007, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancys1108 View Post
Apple Annie,

We are looking to relocate from NJ to Boiling Springs, Have done alot of research on the area and so far very happy with what I have read and we have seen on our last visit there. Was wondering can you give some info on the area. Have two children. If all goes as planned will be in school district #2.
They are great in school, love sports and the average "boys". We are looking to change our lives for the better with everything that SC has to offer.
We are making another trip down next month to check out more things, houses, schools, jobs. etc. Any information you can share would be helpful. You seem to be familiar with the areas. Thanks Nancy
I am not a native to the south, and I travel to NJ often for business. I appreciate the character of many of the houses in NJ, and I suggest to you to look in the Converse Heights Neighborhood in Spartanburg. You will find numerous, charming housing options which will appear very reasonable to you.
You will also find very solid school opportunities in District 7, particularly at Pine Street Elementary. You will also find yourself much closer to all of Spartnaburg's importent ammenities, such as the Library, and shows at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium, and the Hub-Bub Showroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area