Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 05:43 AM
jon jon started this thread

49 posts, read 269,362 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are about to relocate to the Greenville, Spartanburg area. She will be working in Spartanburg. We really like Simpsonville to live. What are the differences between both towns. We have two children, and are moving from South Florida. Any recommendations? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 12:39 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,792,916 times
Default I spent some time researching both areas and also flying there,

but decided against moving to SC for various reasons. I think that you need to give more information for people to really help you, but I tell you my own opinion.

If your wife will be working in Spartanburg, there are plenty of nice areas up that way to live. Simpsonville is a bit of a distance to commute every day. I know one day I was there in May 2004, I was trapped on 85 for an hour due to an accident and the humidity was a killer. I certainly hope that was a rarity, but I certainly wouldn't want that to happen often .

I don't have children, so schools were not a priority, but safety, closeness to good jobs and the possibilty of home appreciation were important to me. I personally liked the towns of Moore and Duncan the best, but I'm sure there are plenty of other nice areas in Spartanburg County. My favorite subdivision was Twin Lakes off of Moore Duncan Hwy . It had a gorgeous area to hang out and have fun with the family by the lake.

Now if you don't know if your wife has a job long term, then Simpsonville is very nice. I kind of preferred Mauldin myself, but mainly that was because I thought I would get better home appreciation there. Simpsonville is close to the mall and downtown. I believe it's about 15-20 minutes away and there were plenty of stores and restaurants locally. There were also quite a few places to work in the Simpsonville area (Lockheed, GE, etc.)

To me, making this decision will depend upon more than just your wifes' job in Spartanburg, but also do you want to be close to downtown Greenville? Do you attend church and want to be close to your church? Are your children into special activities that may be in a certain part of town? If you could give us more ideas of exactly what you're looking for, maybe more people can help you .

My best tip for you would be to take several trips there and just drive around. I felt very comfortable in Simpsonville and stayed at the Hampton Inn there on several occasions. And if I thought that my job would be close by, I would highly recommend that area. But I did find alot of negativity about Spartanburg and I decided I wouldn't let the negative comments keep me from investigating the towns in that county also. I ended up liking them both, but probably would of ended up in Duncan had I moved .

Best wishes to you Jon !!!

Old 01-14-2007, 09:48 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,891,906 times
I wouldn't recommend living in Simpsonville and working in Spartanburg. If you don't want to be in the central city (either Greenville or Spartanburg), try Greer, which is located between the two.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:52 AM

474 posts, read 2,194,562 times
Working in Spartanburg would be fine, but I wouldn't live there on a bet. Last night on the news it was all about, robbery, murder at a Burger King, fatal traffic accident, ad nauseum. It is a high crime area and property values are reflecting that.

North of Spartanburg would be more ideal, in the country. Towns like Boiling Springs (very nice), Inman, Campobello etc., or over the line into NC -- Columbus, Rutherfordton etc.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:57 PM

83 posts, read 395,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
Working in Spartanburg would be fine, but I wouldn't live there on a bet. Last night on the news it was all about, robbery, murder at a Burger King, fatal traffic accident, ad nauseum. It is a high crime area and property values are reflecting that.
Do you have other sources besides the news for your conclusions? I wouldn't argue that you're wrong because I don't know. For the same reason, I wouldn't argue that the following website is correct, but it does put the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson MSA in the middle of the crime-rate pack for more populous areas: Moderator cut: link removed.

Crime news, sports news and weather take up 90% of time on local news shows in all SC markets (based on my informal observation), and I don't think that's because we have more sports or weather or crime. Local news people may have good intentions, but many of them are cutting their teeth and they don't seem to have a handle on regional, national or global issues. Because we don't trust them and they don't trust themselves on these broader issues, local news personalities load us up on crime, etc.

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2007 at 04:11 AM..

Old 01-15-2007, 04:07 PM

Actually all of those "best places" census type websites are just a tad outdated, so the figures can be skewed up or down. In other words, they are not reliable, just an overview of what you will find in a given area.

If the TV and radio, and newspaper news reports an incident, it must have happened I suppose, don't you think ?

Anyone can get up to date reliable information in the local newspapers which I don't believe many folks on forums such as this even think to look at.

Here is an excellent site to research for news all over the world:
www.thepaperboy.com/au (broken link)

I recommend it often and people say they love it.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:46 PM

83 posts, read 395,431 times
Quote:
If the TV and radio, and newspaper news reports an incident, it must have happened I suppose, don't you think ?
Yes, but that's not really the point. The local news offers only anecdotal evidence to support a high or low crime rate. In other parts of the country, a car wreck or assault might not rate a mention at 6:00.

Quote:
Here is an excellent site to research for news all over the world:
www.thepaperboy.com/au (broken link)
Cool site. (I had to strike off the /au to get to a live page).

Old 01-15-2007, 07:07 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,737,174 times
Quote:

North of Spartanburg would be more ideal, in the country. Towns like Boiling Springs (very nice), Inman, Campobello etc., or over the line into NC -- Columbus, Rutherfordton etc.
That's not accurate. There is nothing wrong with Spartanburg.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:26 AM

64 posts, read 289,721 times
Default insight

Quote:

Apple Annie,

We are looking to relocate from NJ to Boiling Springs, Have done alot of research on the area and so far very happy with what I have read and we have seen on our last visit there. Was wondering can you give some info on the area. Have two children. If all goes as planned will be in school district #2.
They are great in school, love sports and the average "boys". We are looking to change our lives for the better with everything that SC has to offer.
We are making another trip down next month to check out more things, houses, schools, jobs. etc. Any information you can share would be helpful. You seem to be familiar with the areas. Thanks Nancy

Old 01-16-2007, 06:10 PM

Hi Nancy,

Here is a website for great information on Boiling Springs. I believe it is centrally and well located for access to major highways, the mountains, and all the shopping of Greenville and Spartanburg without the traffic and congestion. It is a bedroom community so to speak, and has a nice country atmosphere presently. There is a lot of development going on because of the above reasons. Usually areas north and northwest of cities are the bedroom communities; at least in my experience. Best of luck in your search! Hope this helps.

http://www.boilingspringsnc.net/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area