Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:13 PM

267 posts, read 329,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
How is a world without children a "favor" as you put it? Almost every nation in Europe has a negative birth rate due to extremely self centered me first attitudes and the encouragement of abortions instead of life. Canada, too is on a trajectory towards a negative birthrate.
Why are you trying to drag abortion into this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 04:23 PM

365 posts, read 1,009,903 times
As a parent, I want to say it has been the most rewarding thing I could ever imagine doing for myself & children. I want to also say that it's been one the hardest things I could ever imagine doing. I can't think of any other job/career that could have such an effect positive or negative on the rest of society. It's not a choice that should ever be taken lightly by anyone. It's a huge responsibility to create & help mold another human being! Sometimes the results are wonderful, other times a disappointment. Regardless, children are the one thing we love unconditionally.
The choice to become a parent should never feel forced, so don't let it be. If there's a single doubt in ones mind about it, don't do it until that doubt is gone. Don't let anyone else decide for you what works, or what you should do. You are the only one who knows how you feel. Your decision should be yours alone & if you let peer pressure decide for you, you'll be cheating yourself & your child. Remember, everyone else won't be raising that child, you will be.
There is nothing wrong with choosing not to give birth to a child if you don't want to.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:29 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
I think this thread should be less about an arguement between those who want kids and who don't and more about meeting folks(and specifically couples) who don't have kids right now and are looking for friends, thats what the OP meant by starting it....

Old 07-24-2009, 02:33 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sptnbg area local born NJ View Post
For those without kids by choice: remember, you wouldn't be here to offer your opinion if your own parents hadn't had kids. And if they were awful, appreciate that many want to do it right.
Can I just say how sick I am of hearing "you wouldn't be here if your parents hadn't had kids"?? That's a total non sequitor. If my parents hadn't had kids, I wouldn't give a hoot, would I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise
Almost every nation in Europe has a negative birth rate due to extremely self centered me first attitudes and the encouragement of abortions instead of life.
I'm going to completely ignore the ridiculous insertion of abortion into this. My only comment is this: I don't see a negative birth rate as necessarily being a horrible thing. Less resource strain on our home planet.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:09 PM

214 posts, read 560,033 times
Yeah once the whole "goo goo gah gah" is done, they grow up to be just another adult in an already over crowded country making my daily life more difficult to go through.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:33 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I think this thread should be less about an arguement between those who want kids and who don't and more about meeting folks(and specifically couples) who don't have kids right now and are looking for friends, thats what the OP meant by starting it....
Oh.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:43 AM

39 posts, read 93,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edison winter View Post
yeah once the whole "goo goo gah gah" is done, they grow up to be just another adult in an already over crowded country making my daily life more difficult to go through.
this

Old 07-27-2009, 07:19 AM

19 posts, read 47,277 times
How about couples who just don't want kids of their own... We love [other peoples'] kids and my hubby has 2 from previous marriage (1 in college, the other lives with mom)... We just don't want any together and (for me - the female 1/2 of this team) it's INCREASINGLY difficult - especially here in SC - to meet friends who don't have kids.

We befriended some great couples here and one just had a baby and the other is about to so we know the hanging out together will be seriously curtailed from this point forward. Everything changes when babies come into the picture (understandably so)...

I'd just love to hang out with some women my age who aren't obsessed with babies or getting pregnant. Like I said - nothing wrong with kids, but what about who YOU are??? I just don't believe that having children should define who a person is. What will those people do when their kids leave the fold?

Just saying...

Old 07-27-2009, 10:25 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,467,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKellyn View Post
Like I said - nothing wrong with kids, but what about who YOU are??? I just don't believe that having children should define who a person is.
Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKellyn View Post
What will those people do when their kids leave the fold?
Wait for grandchildren.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:41 AM

13 posts, read 148,699 times
Wow. Well, I must say that I had no idea our little post would cause so much discussion. There seems to be a heated debate over this issue.
We would like to make it known that we are in no way saying that we don't like children or that we don't like being friends with anyone who happens to have children. That is not the case at all. Our original intention was simply to:
1. Vent just a little because we had not found anyone in the same place as life as us since moving here
and
2. Cast a net to see if anyone else has had the same observation or difficulties as us and perhaps meet some like-minded and life-staged, if you will, people.
I have to say that it is quite interesting to read the variety of responses. We met a really nice couple here (Shamrocker) and are more than happy to continue talking to and meeting people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area