Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Anyway, have a good night, and stop hatemongering. Leave that for the Christians.
What an absurd comment that is also completely off-topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 07:19 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
It's probably another big expensive government sponsored and paid "sustainable development" project a/k/a Agenda 21.
Agenda 21 - time to break out the tin foil hats

Old 07-19-2012, 07:38 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,859,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
Agenda 21 - time to break out the tin foil hats
I ran out of Tin Foil , they tried to start a Anti-Agenda 21 thing here in the Northeast in-till they realized that most of them lived in what Agenda 21 proposes old Suburban style living....it fell apart fast...and the backlash was huge. Being against Transit in the Northeast or Alt Transportation is a death sentence for a politician hench why many Republicans support Rail....maybe not the full project , but at least one phase.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:08 AM

557 posts, read 865,171 times
OK folks we are getting off subject here. Let's rein it in. I hope to see our bus services improve to serve the most local areas they can cover. Then a light rail service would be great for visiting the other towns and cities outside of Greenville. I believe it will still be awhile before we get to see a light rail service. Either way, I look forward to not having to drive in the future. It will be nice having the option not to drive if I want too.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:54 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,425 times
I actually would like to see Greenlink take part in a county-wide transportation tax to start working towards getting as much of the county connected as possible and to expedite projects, not to mention that it would be paid for by people living outside of the county by likely 30/70. This would really help to speed up the process of adding the bus routes they've proposed in their master plan, and maybe add a couple more that would make access to transit a truely county wide option. It would also supply the needed money to get started on any rail transit they may want to do.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:50 PM

130 posts, read 224,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
It's probably another big expensive government sponsored and paid "sustainable development" project a/k/a Agenda 21.

Here is Greenville's comprehensive plan. You can see how they are going to try to increase the population densities in certain areas by looking at the "future land use map" on page 51. http://www.greenvillecounty.org/gcpc...nsive_plan.pdf In the orange area which looks to be outside city limits they are planning for 3 to 6 dwellings per acre.

Greenville is a member of ICLEI.org whose purpose is to see that Agenda 21 is implemented .

Here you can look up cities that are members; look up Agenda 21.

Some of it sounds nice but the problem is that it is GOVERNMENT doing all of this without our say and at our expense. Of course since Government is paying for it all, $$ is no object. They'll be willing to pay $50 of tax payers money for a $5 hammer and make some contractor rich off the project. It doesn't cost them anything. Also with these projects the contractors have "limited liability". They don't even have to do a good job.

But that is the least of our worries.... it gets worse once you understand the goals of Agenda 21.
You have to be sh*****g me Emily. Stop hijacking threads with Agenda 21 s***. What you say is non-sensical.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:27 PM

131 posts, read 214,442 times
Quote:

I'm just curious as to how they're going to have the bus go along rail instead of on a road. It's a good idea though to have BRT first and then upgrade to LRT, especially when you're using tracks and right of way that are already in place...that really helps to offset the costs.
The plan is to pave a path adjacent to the tracks which the bus could then ride on. It would travel on the path for the length of the RR ROW without having to stop for cars. Once it reaches the Pleasantburg area, it would have to get on Laurens and Washington. It would have a traffic signal preemption device so it would not have to stop at traffic signals.

The rails have to stay partly so they can be used in the future but also because if they take the tracks up, the land reverts to the adjacent property owners.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:43 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgubers View Post
You have to be sh*****g me Emily. Stop hijacking threads with Agenda 21 s***. What you say is non-sensical.
We do need to be vigilant of our individual freedoms, but I agree some of her posts go overboard a bit.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:45 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenvilleEngineer View Post
The plan is to pave a path adjacent to the tracks which the bus could then ride on. It would travel on the path for the length of the RR ROW without having to stop for cars. Once it reaches the Pleasantburg area, it would have to get on Laurens and Washington. It would have a traffic signal preemption device so it would not have to stop at traffic signals.

The rails have to stay partly so they can be used in the future but also because if they take the tracks up, the land reverts to the adjacent property owners.
Very interesting - a few things I wasn't aware of. Thanks! This is the most likely scenario for "rapid transit" in our area until population is at least twice what it is now. It would be a vast improvement over what we have now. I still think an I-385 park & ride would be a step in the right direction.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:25 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,881 times
Quote:
I actually would like to see Greenlink take part in a county-wide transportation tax to start working towards getting as much of the county connected as possible and to expedite projects, not to mention that it would be paid for by people living outside of the county by likely 30/70. This would really help to speed up the process of adding the bus routes they've proposed in their master plan, and maybe add a couple more that would make access to transit a truely county wide option. It would also supply the needed money to get started on any rail transit they may want to do.
Again, sombody wanting me to pay a tax to pay for something I do not want to use. If it is such a good idea let private enterprise do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area