Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:53 PM

73 posts, read 345,429 times

Advertisements

We are going to head to the overlook grill tonight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 07:15 PM

49 posts, read 272,398 times
Let me start by saying that I have lived in SC my entire life but I have to agree with the original post about MOES and Baja Fresh. I traveled over the last 2 years and I had the chance to visit Baja Fresh in the Chicago Area and also in the D.C. area. The food was great and easy on the digestive system. Moe's food is not too bad in taste but very bad on the digestive system.

Good places in the area i think are....

Giovanni's (Italian) on Woodruff Rd. (BEST KEPT SECRET in GREENVILLE) I have eaten here 10-15 times and the owner Gabriel is GREAT and the Food is AWESOME! Very small place about 10-12 tables.

Soby's Downtown Greenville ...Great Place and the food is very good. Shrimp and Grits. Scallops and lots more.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:30 PM

617 posts, read 2,572,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveSouthCarolina View Post

Giovanni's (Italian) on Woodruff Rd. (BEST KEPT SECRET in GREENVILLE) I have eaten here 10-15 times and the owner Gabriel is GREAT and the Food is AWESOME! Very small place about 10-12 tables.
Ah, Giovanni's is really good. Last time I was there with my family we got to talking with him, and he was talking about how his place might not last too much longer. There's so much going on in that area now that nobody knows it's there. Hopefully he can keep it going.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:53 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Okay,
so my dad was in town for a few days again (he might as well move here full time, he's here every other week) and he wanted to try the Lakeview on Highway 14 since we drive past it nearly every day. Despite warnings from a couple that we met at rooms to go who said it was awful we tried it nonetheless. It is afterall usually quite busy.

I ordered steak and shrimp. Well first of all one would think that a self proclaimed "steakhouse" would actually char grill their steaks, nope not here. The steak was cooked on a flat griddle, basically fried, if you will. Secondly the shrimp were not deveined. Now I'm sure that this isn't a big revelation to most people but for those of you that don't know, the vein in a shrimp isn't really a vein at all it's FREAKIN' SHRIMP ****! This doesn't bother some people and I'm a fairly adventerous eater but I draw the line at shellfish excrement.

Thirdly, and this is what sealed the deal for me; most if not all restaurants are doing away with trans fats and partially hydrognenated oils, not the Lakeview. They proudly serve all bread and potatos with a butter substitute in a little sealed container whose main ingredient is partially hydrogenated oil. No butter to be found anywhere. I'm suprised a big ole shaker of msg wasn't on the table readily available.

My apologies to the couple who told us not to go there, we didn't heed your advice and for that I hang my head in shame. You did after all tell us about two good restaurants, Moonsoon in Spartanburg and Tony's Pizza on Haywood.

Lakeview Steakhouse, nice view, horrible food. Oh yeah, in fairness the waitresses were very nice and attentive, shame they have to sling that slop.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:55 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
I don't want anyone to think I used profanity where the * are. I wrote FREAKIN SHRIMP P O O P!

Old 06-14-2007, 06:58 AM

250 posts, read 1,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcie912 View Post
We are going to head to the overlook grill tonight
Ah...you'll not regret this one, I'm sure. I've never been there for dinner, but my daughter and I drop in there for lunch quite frequently and the food and service are both very good. My daughter especially loves the coloring book that tells the history of the Reedy River Falls that they give kids there. Sam's a great guy, too!

Sonrise: I'm definitely going to heed your warning and stay away from the Lakeview. You should try the Arizona Steakhouse on Woodruff (or the one down in Simpsonville).

Old 06-28-2007, 07:38 PM

81 posts, read 327,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I respectfully disagree sky. We're doing a service to potential newcomers to the area just as much as we would recommend a good restaurant. I wouldn't want someone to spend money on an awful restaurant and think that it reflects the area. Plus it's kinda fun and could be funny with anecdotes and what not. But hey, to each his own.

Thanks for the other places, I'll check them out.. The wife and i went to Molinas on Wade Hampton today for lunch. Though not a qsr, very tasty fajitas and they have live music on thursdays. I heard salsaritas was better than moes but hey,a dumpster behind wendy's is better than moes so....

Check out Baja Fresh website and then pray for someone to pony up the $ for a franchise. You'll never go to a moes again and ask God for forgiveness that you ever had.
My husband and I agree. When we lived in Charleston we went to the one Summerville and it was beyond words to describe how sick and disgusting it was. Not only was it nasty it was unclean and beans and chips were smashed on the floor all around and the tables were dirty! We actually took a few bites and left it was that bad my husband is not one to not finish his food he was like I can't eat this junk!

Old 07-06-2007, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 7,720 times
I'm new to this site and I reside in Central/West Florida.
I have been doing a lot of research on South Carolina and the posibility of moving to the Greenville area. I'm originally from Colombia and my intention of moving to South Carolina would be to open a Colombian/new fusion type of restaurant. I have culinary training from Cordon Bleu in Orlando, FL.
I know there is a large Colombian population in Greenville and even though Colombian cuisine is not very well known and Colombians themselves are not very adventurous gastronomically speaking, I like to think that my French cooking training gives me an interesting advantage depending on the competition. Please give me any feed back, I want to make the right career choice.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:30 PM

617 posts, read 2,572,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonchef View Post
I'm new to this site and I reside in Central/West Florida.
I have been doing a lot of research on South Carolina and the posibility of moving to the Greenville area. I'm originally from Colombia and my intention of moving to South Carolina would be to open a Colombian/new fusion type of restaurant. I have culinary training from Cordon Bleu in Orlando, FL.
I know there is a large Colombian population in Greenville and even though Colombian cuisine is not very well known and Colombians themselves are not very adventurous gastronomically speaking, I like to think that my French cooking training gives me an interesting advantage depending on the competition. Please give me any feed back, I want to make the right career choice.
I obviously can't answer for everybody, but I think a Colombian restaurant would go over really well in Greenville. I have friends who would definitely like it, including a few Colombian friends. We just got this restaurant called the Rio Grille and it's some sort of Brazilian steak house, and I think it's been doing pretty well.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:24 AM

69 posts, read 275,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Okay,
so my dad was in town for a few days again (he might as well move here full time, he's here every other week) and he wanted to try the Lakeview on Highway 14 since we drive past it nearly every day. Despite warnings from a couple that we met at rooms to go who said it was awful we tried it nonetheless. It is afterall usually quite busy.
Lakeview has been there nearly all my life and at one time, was the only "nice" steak place in Greer. It was the place all the Civic clubs met at, and the awards banquets for all the schools were held there (I went to Greer HS a few moons ago). I had heard that the food had really gone downhill, but that goes to show you that you can do the same thing the same way for so long, that you really forget what you're doing. The reason it's so busy is because the same people have eaten there on the same night for 30 years! The whole "Frog in the Kettle" scenario...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area