Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:40 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
And if they're scheduled for a Tuesday lunch shift from 11-2:30, 3 1/2 hour shift? Turn 6 tables, each table has an average of 2 people, each asking for separate checks, each check averages $9.50, because everyone ordered from the lunch special menu and ordered either water or a sweet tea, because, hey, it's Tuesday afternoon, no one is drinking. Each person only tips at 12%, because they've split there checks and it's only lunch. That's about $13.00 for 3 /12 hours of work or $3.71 an hour, oh, bu wait, you still have to tip out the food runner and the bartender, even though no one ordered alcohol, but one person ordered blackberry tea, and you have to go to the bar for that. So the $13.00 now become $9.00, and there's no base pay, 'cause the $2.10/hr is deducted for taxes, so there is never a check.

This is much more common than you scenario. I speak from personal experience.
Do a little research my friend. Seems the 2.10 base hourly rate is pretty average throughout most states, not just SC. A wait person's money is made in tips, not base pay.

How much would a waiter/waitress's salary be? - Yahoo! Answers

Sonrise, I know you've been looking at restaurant franchises. When you open one, I'll tell everybody to apply to work for you as you'll be paying 20 to 25 an hour for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 09:31 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,468,524 times
Question for those of you who are working on your MBAs (Masters in Bashing and Accusing): have done any research on other cities lately?!? If you do, you will see that Greenville does not pay its servers less than other cities. You will also see that Greenville has a lot of nice restaurants compared to our peer cities, which means more higher-paying server jobs. A great way to keep those jobs is by supporting these local businesses and tipping well (or is the economy "too bad" for you to do that once in a while?).

One final point. Maybe things have changed since I last looked into it, but servers are not forced to be servers. Nobody is holding a gun to someone's head saying "You must work for $2.10 an hour, or I will kill you." People choose a job making less per hour because they feel that they can make up for it in commissions (tips). This is the same basis for people going into careers in sales, real estate, etc. where the base salary is very small or non-existent.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:20 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Do a little research my friend. Seems the 2.10 base hourly rate is pretty average throughout most states, not just SC. A wait person's money is made in tips, not base pay.

How much would a waiter/waitress's salary be? - Yahoo! Answers

Sonrise, I know you've been looking at restaurant franchises. When you open one, I'll tell everybody to apply to work for you as you'll be paying 20 to 25 an hour for sure.
You and I agree on almost everything, yet when we disagree on one thing, you get snide and snippy. That's really disappointing.

I've waited tables in NY, NJ, Fl, CA and SC. I know of what I speak. The scenario that I painted is quite common. If and when I open a restaurant, it will almost 100% be a QSR (quick service restaurant), i.e. Chipotle, Zaxby's, Panera Bread, etc. No waitstaff to burden a customer with tipping and helps keep costs down from an owners perspective as well. However, if I did have a full service restaurant I would pay the servers minimum wage plus tips, because it's the humane thing to do. I personally would not fell good about my employees walking home from a lunch shift with $15 in their pocket.

I'm still really hurt by your snarky comment, since you're the last person I would have expected that from.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Question for those of you who are working on your MBAs (Masters in Bashing and Accusing): have done any research on other cities lately?!? If you do, you will see that Greenville does not pay its servers less than other cities. You will also see that Greenville has a lot of nice restaurants compared to our peer cities, which means more higher-paying server jobs. A great way to keep those jobs is by supporting these local businesses and tipping well (or is the economy "too bad" for you to do that once in a while?).

One final point. Maybe things have changed since I last looked into it, but servers are not forced to be servers. Nobody is holding a gun to someone's head saying "You must work for $2.10 an hour, or I will kill you." People choose a job making less per hour because they feel that they can make up for it in commissions (tips). This is the same basis for people going into careers in sales, real estate, etc. where the base salary is very small or non-existent.
Congratulations for posting the red herring post of the day. No one here will disagree with you, and that's not the point. SC pays their waitstaff the lowest in the country, while most pay between $4.50/hr and minimum wage.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Congratulations for posting the red herring post of the day. No one here will disagree with you, and that's not the point. SC pays their waitstaff the lowest in the country, while most pay between $4.50/hr and minimum wage.
No problem, I do what I can.

Seriously, I don't understand what the problem is. If an employer pays servers a certain wage, and they have no problem filling those positions, then there is obviously a market for them. If an employer isn't paying enough, then people would go elsewhere to find a job.

I realize that some people are cheap and don't leave a tip (or leave $1 or something). I also realize that plenty of people leave nice tips. But let's not forget that the server has a responsibility to be reasonably attentive, keep drinks refilled, etc. Plenty of servers don't do that (and still get at least a 15% tip from most people just for showing up). If someone who is waiting tables truly wants to get good tips, they will likely do so with some initiative and hard work.

And even at $2.10 an hour, a server in a low-level restaurant easily makes minimum wage. What's so inhumane about that?!?

Old 08-01-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
No problem, I do what I can.

Seriously, I don't understand what the problem is. If an employer pays servers a certain wage, and they have no problem filling those positions, then there is obviously a market for them. If an employer isn't paying enough, then people would go elsewhere to find a job.

I realize that some people are cheap and don't leave a tip (or leave $1 or something). I also realize that plenty of people leave nice tips. But let's not forget that the server has a responsibility to be reasonably attentive, keep drinks refilled, etc. Plenty of servers don't do that (and still get at least a 15% tip from most people just for showing up). If someone who is waiting tables truly wants to get good tips, they will likely do so with some initiative and hard work.

And even at $2.10 an hour, a server in a low-level restaurant easily makes minimum wage. What's so inhumane about that?!?

And if they're scheduled for a Tuesday lunch shift from 11-2:30, 3 1/2 hour shift? Turn 6 tables, each table has an average of 2 people, each asking for separate checks, each check averages $9.50, because everyone ordered from the lunch special menu and ordered either water or a sweet tea, because, hey, it's Tuesday afternoon, no one is drinking. Each person only tips at 12%, because they've split there checks and it's only lunch. That's about $13.00 for 3 /12 hours of work or $3.71 an hour, oh, bu wait, you still have to tip out the food runner and the bartender, even though no one ordered alcohol, but one person ordered blackberry tea, and you have to go to the bar for that. So the $13.00 now become $9.00, and there's no base pay, 'cause the $2.10/hr is deducted for taxes, so there is never a check.

I reposted this because it wasn't fictitious hyperbole. It is almost a 100% identical retelling of what happened to myself and several co-workers on numerous occasions at a very popular restaurant right here in G'ville a few years ago. Thankfully I was just doing it as a second job for pocket money, as I have a good paying real job, but a lot of my co-workers relied solely on this job as their income. $3.71 is not minimum wage.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:

I reposted this because it wasn't fictitious hyperbole. It is almost a 100% identical retelling of what happened to myself and several co-workers on numerous occasions at a very popular restaurant right here in G'ville a few years ago. Thankfully I was just doing it as a second job for pocket money, as I have a good paying real job, but a lot of my co-workers relied solely on this job as their income. $3.71 is not minimum wage.
There will always be examples of times when someone doesn't make minimum wage. There will also be examples of scenarios where servers make excellent salaries, even in the six figures (as gsupstate's previous post mentioned). If someone has bad shifts at a restaurant, they have options. They can:

-Work harder and hopefully get better tips
-Impress their boss and get better shifts/more hours
-Quit and go work at another restaurant with a better shift/better tips
-Quit and work in a different industry

With that said, I am posting this again because it is the truth as well:

"If an employer pays servers a certain wage, and they have no problem filling those positions, then there is obviously a market for them. If an employer isn't paying enough, then people would go elsewhere to find a job."

These people aren't victims. They chose their job, and a lot of their success or failure is up to them. That's how the real world works, whether someone is a high-powered lawyer or a burger flipper at McDonald's.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
There will always be examples of times when someone doesn't make minimum wage. There will also be examples of scenarios where servers make excellent salaries, even in the six figures (as gsupstate's previous post mentioned). If someone has bad shifts at a restaurant, they have options. They can:

-Work harder and hopefully get better tips
-Impress their boss and get better shifts/more hours
-Quit and go work at another restaurant with a better shift/better tips
-Quit and work in a different industry

With that said, I am posting this again because it is the truth as well:

"If an employer pays servers a certain wage, and they have no problem filling those positions, then there is obviously a market for them. If an employer isn't paying enough, then people would go elsewhere to find a job."

These people aren't victims. They chose their job, and a lot of their success or failure is up to them. That's how the real world works, whether someone is a high-powered lawyer or a burger flipper at McDonald's.
Since no one in this entire thread has once argued that point, who exactly are you arguing with? You stated that servers always make at least minimum wage and I showed you otherwise; that was my only point. I grew up in the restaurant biz, family owning several and we always paid more then $2.10 an hour, it's the humane thing to do.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Since no one in this entire thread has once argued that point, who exactly are you arguing with?
I am responding to the posts suggesting that Greenville restaurateurs pay lousy wages and are one step beyond sweat shop owners who make their employees work until their knuckles bleed. If that was not the sentiment, then please accept my apology.

I guess I just have trouble feeling sympathy for someone who chooses to take a job and stay in that job. They must not see it as "unfair" as some of you do. And if they do, they have the right to improve their conditions.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I am responding to the posts suggesting that Greenville restaurateurs pay lousy wages and are one step beyond sweat shop owners who make their employees work until their knuckles bleed. If that was not the sentiment, then please accept my apology.

I guess I just have trouble feeling sympathy for someone who chooses to take a job and stay in that job. They must not see it as "unfair" as some of you do. And if they do, they have the right to improve their conditions.
I guess I don't think that the two sentiments are mutually exclusive. Yes $2.10/hr is deplorable and a disgrace. Yes, no one forces anyone to work for that wage. See.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area