Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 11:06 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times

Advertisements

Hardee's lost their lunch and dinner business sometime in the mid 80's after they abandoned charbroiled cooking of burgers. Their main business has been breakfast which has remained consistent. Their quality has improved since Carl's Jr. took over and returned the charbroiling. During the early 90's Hardee's merged with Roy Rogers, but converted locations were changed back to Roy Rogers because of a decline in quality. But Hardee's served the Roy Rogers fried chicken in their restaurants until the CKE takeover. I remember in Virginia, after the stores were changed back to Roy Rogers, the Roy Rogers locations served the Roy Rogers lunch and dinner menu of roast beef, burgers, and fried chicken. And for breakfast they served the Hardee's biscuit menu. That was the best merger of the 2 chains and what should have continued. But they were sold off to Carl's Jr. and other chains. Roy Rogers is now expanding again under new management from a former Marriott franchisee. I would like to see them return to the Carolinas.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:35 AM

151 posts, read 331,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I believe it. There was a time when the end of breakfast was practically the end of their business day. Why pay people when you aren't making money for the rest of the day. I lived in Knoxville and their was a location close to me. You could walk in the afternoon or night and no one was there. I think things started improving some when they became associated with Carls,Jr management and products around 2000.
My point was....they are closing the location permanently. If a business decision was made to do that, they would not say "hey let's get that last $268 from our breakfast serving that morning"...that's absurd.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:10 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Hardee's is different today than it was 15 years ago. Instead of closing locations, Hardee's is opening additional new locations. It took several years to change the culture, practices and image of the entire company.

While Hardee's is on the upswing, one of its competitors, Burger King, has been trending downward.
No question. It's a thousand percent better than it was in the late 90's, which was its low point. Once they brought back the charbroiled burgers, the quality started to turn around.. Of course.. There's lots of things that can be said here, because bringing back the charbroiled burgers, the selling from Flagstar to corporate (Local and through the southeast, at least) the selling of the chain to CKE.. Cleaning and refreshing the restaurants.. I mean, some were NASTY.. There was one I had to go to in Knoxville.. Nasty.. And one down in Lawrenceville, GA I think where I went in and employees were smoking pot in the walk in cooler.

Jefferson, GA.. That's where it was.. Everyone hated that unit because it was the farthest unit that Flagstar owned.. They didn't have anything else until you got down to Jacksonville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Hardee's lost their lunch and dinner business sometime in the mid 80's after they abandoned charbroiled cooking of burgers. Their main business has been breakfast which has remained consistent. Their quality has improved since Carl's Jr. took over and returned the charbroiling. During the early 90's Hardee's merged with Roy Rogers, but converted locations were changed back to Roy Rogers because of a decline in quality. But Hardee's served the Roy Rogers fried chicken in their restaurants until the CKE takeover. I remember in Virginia, after the stores were changed back to Roy Rogers, the Roy Rogers locations served the Roy Rogers lunch and dinner menu of roast beef, burgers, and fried chicken. And for breakfast they served the Hardee's biscuit menu. That was the best merger of the 2 chains and what should have continued. But they were sold off to Carl's Jr. and other chains. Roy Rogers is now expanding again under new management from a former Marriott franchisee. I would like to see them return to the Carolinas.
Sudley Manor Rd in Manassas.. Had a Hardee's in the mall parking lot, just up the road was a Roy's.. They changed the Roy's to Hardee's, then sold it to McDonalds.. The mall location stayed Hardee's for.. A couple of months.. Changed to Roys.. Then the lawsuit happened.. It changed back to Hardee's.. Then was bulldozed when they expanded the mall.. Think that was a test location of some kind, because they had a drink machine tied to the registers, so.. You rang up a large coke, and the dispenser would drop the cup, fill it with ice, and dispense the soda.. Thing never worked, but it was high tech for the late 80's...

Reminds me of the unit on Haywood.. It was Hardee's.. Then they changed it over to an El Pollo Loco, which did astounding business. Place was just packed all the time.. But, when CKE took over.. It had to go back to Hardee's.. They closed it.. And.. I know Chick-Fil-A is there now.. Don't recall if they demoed it and rebuilt or just updated the building.. Think it was a rebuild.. But, it does pretty kick butt business again as CFA, I think. Of course, remember City Range used to be owned by Flagstar as well.. In fact, that building, many moons ago was Quincy's.. Another Flagstar chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgame View Post
My point was....they are closing the location permanently. If a business decision was made to do that, they would not say "hey let's get that last $268 from our breakfast serving that morning"...that's absurd.
You're looking more at several thousand dollars. There were Hardee's locations that would do $5k+ for breakfast.. And a couple hundred the rest of the day. Pine St (?) in Spartanburg was one like that. It was in a hellish location, but.. It was a place that alot of people drove by on their way into downtown Spartanburg. So, in the morning, they'd swing by and get their coffee and a biscuit.. But they did no business the rest of the day.

The one up by the old Flagstar HQ in Boiling Springs.. That place never made money.. It was just kept open because it was right beside HQ. Spartanburg #1.. Don't remember the road it was on, but it was the 'old time' one in Spartanburg.. had all the old logos and everything.. That was kept open because it was Richardson's first unit. Flagstar made along of emotional vs logical decisions. In Mobile, AL, we had several units nailed by a hurricane.. This would be sometime between 95 and 98.. I got all their POS equipment back in Greenville and it was still leaking water. Entire unit was underwater.. They'd repair and reopen them. Even if it was a horribly underperforming unit.

Were there other reasons to close it at 10:30am? None that I can really think of.. They could just as easily shown up at 9pm the night before and shuttered the place.

Last edited by Labonte18; 03-12-2015 at 10:19 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 11:46 AM

321 posts, read 406,971 times
Hopefully changing the subject...

New sign up at the old Pop's Pizzeria in Simpsonville at 1100 NE Main St says Papa's and Beer / Mama's and Beer.

I had lunch at the current Simpsonville Papa's and Beer today and asked the staff about it and they said that new one would be an additional location.

They seem too close together but the Pop's bldg is considerably larger than the current PaB. Could it be that they grabbed the lease at the old Pop's but they still have lease remaining at their current location?

Old 03-13-2015, 02:39 PM

453 posts, read 646,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russwd View Post
They seem too close together but the Pop's bldg is considerably larger than the current PaB. Could it be that they grabbed the lease at the old Pop's but they still have lease remaining at their current location?
That's very welcomed news! Papa's and Beer almost immediately outgrew its current location. I'd eat there more often if I didn't feel like I was crammed into a sardine tin.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:16 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Not new but relocated 2 times already this year; Jazzercise on Woodruff Rd or Butler Rd has moved to the Thornblade area off of Batesville Rd. and regained Premier Center status. Come join us! You are gonna love the floor; I do!

Old 03-13-2015, 06:43 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Jasmine Thai Cuisine

Address: 2017 Wade Hampton Blvd, Greenville, SC 29615
Phone: 864- 438-1233
Hours: 11 am - 2:30 pm ---- 4:30 pm - 9:30 pm

This place recently opened and is VERY good. It is located right next to Mekong. It is family run and has super friendly staff. I hope they do really well. Check it out.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:56 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Table 301 is planning another restaurant in downtown Greenville.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:04 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Since Manassas Va. was mentioned, the old Hardee's in Manassas Park was converted to Roy Rogers and was one of the very few Roy's that was operated by Carl's Jr. after the CKE takeover. (Most CKE stores were Hardee's only). It is a very obvious Hardee's style building. And Roy Rogers has also built a new Manassas location across from the hospital. And the reason Hardee's failed in Northern Virginia and Maryland is because the Roy Rogers food quality was much better and the brand name had a devout and loyal following. But today's Hardee's under CKE is much improved, but I would still like to see a Roy Rogers. Better roast beef than Arby's and good fried chicken.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:02 PM

826 posts, read 1,126,286 times
Ate lunch at the Wendy's on Woodruff today. Noticed that there is construction going on in the interior with permits posted on the windows at Travinia which closed a few weeks ago. There is also an Alcholic Beverage Licensing notice posted as well. Anybody got any idea of what is going in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area