Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 02:59 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,013,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I believe the East Washington site was like that originally.. That the one we're talking about? I wouldn't necessarily call that 'right before Haywood', but.. Fair enough.

I do not know if those stores were constructed like that by Spinx, or if they were part of an acquisition. I know by the 90's those style locations had gone out of favor and were no longer being constructed by Spinx.

I wonder how Spinx will go over the next 5 to 10 years.. For the longest time, they only had onesie-twosie competition.. Now with QT coming in and blowing up.. 7-11 establishing a footprint (Though still small).. and the various others.. I wonder if Spinx will wind up being consumed.
Nah I do recall one in the late 80's across the street from the old National Guard Building just before Haywood in the vicinity of where the CVS and Chevrolet dealership is now. They usually set sideways you could just pull off to the right, pay attendant, get gas and drive off. I don't remember if the E Washington St location was originally small like that. I do remember the one by WYFF.

Last edited by vistatiger; 02-26-2018 at 03:16 PM..

Old 02-27-2018, 11:30 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,353,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I dunno, if you read their site, they're basically a gourmet white castle. 2.8oz patties, too gimmicky.

Choose from an uno, duo, trio, or 16 pack of our gourmet 2.8 oz. patties and customize each one.

https://www.burgerim.com/
Yes they seem like an upscale White Castle or Krystal. But they seem to do well in California and Texas, and are also expanding in Florida, Virginia, Maryland, as well as the Carolinas with locations planned in Charlotte and Greenville.

But if I had a choice, I would like to see Whataburger, In N Out, or Roy Rogers. And I like the burger menu at Carl's Jr. better than sister chain Hardee's, as Hardee's no longer offers the Famous Star, Superstar, Western Star, or Big Carl (Big Twin). Hardee's needs to bring back these signature sandwiches, rather than just Thickburgers.

And interestingly they are now bringing Carl's Jr. to the East coast, with locations in New York and New Jersey. Although Hardee's is their East coast and Midwest chain, they have determined that the Carl's Jr. marketing and menu would work better in the Northeast, where Hardee's previously failed in the Mid Atlantic region after the Roy Rogers conversion bombed in the Baltimore-Washington area. Currently Hardee's has locations near Fredericksburg, Va and parts of Maryland and Pennsylvania. But I think CKE wants to infill the urban areas of the Northeast corridor, and they apparently believe Carl's Jr. will be the more successful brand. So I would speculate you may also see Carl's Jr. appear in parts of Maryland and Northern Virginia, where there may be some limited overlap with sister brand Hardee's.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:29 PM

I have heard speculation that Macy's at Haywood Mall may convert part of their 2nd floor to a Backstage Outlet store. But this would require reduction of the furniture or home store, so plans may have been reconsidered. The Backstage concept is designed to drive sales and compete with Marshall's, Ross, Nordstrom Rack, and T.J. Maxx. Apparently a final decision has not been made, according to an anonymous associate, as the plans have been on and off again since last fall. The nearest Macy's Backstage is in suburban Atlanta at Gwinnett Place Mall.

Meanwhile, the long term future of the Macy's at Columbia Place Mall in Columbia is uncertain, as the dying mall has been sold and will be converted to a government office center. But Macy's owns their building there, and is the only Macy's serving the Midlands. So perhaps it may remain open, but it remains to be seen. They should try to move to Columbiana Center, but there may not be space available. Competitor Belk recently acquired the old Sears store there and expanded their Men's dept. and there may not be any remaining space available.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:07 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
Tipsy Taco plans to open a downtown location off Augusta Road and a Simpsonville location at 702 Fairview Road.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...too/378784002/

Old 03-01-2018, 02:25 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,758,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I have heard speculation that Macy's at Haywood Mall may convert part of their 2nd floor to a Backstage Outlet store. But this would require reduction of the furniture or home store, so plans may have been reconsidered. The Backstage concept is designed to drive sales and compete with Marshall's, Ross, Nordstrom Rack, and T.J. Maxx. Apparently a final decision has not been made, according to an anonymous associate, as the plans have been on and off again since last fall. The nearest Macy's Backstage is in suburban Atlanta at Gwinnett Place Mall.

Meanwhile, the long term future of the Macy's at Columbia Place Mall in Columbia is uncertain, as the dying mall has been sold and will be converted to a government office center. But Macy's owns their building there, and is the only Macy's serving the Midlands. So perhaps it may remain open, but it remains to be seen. They should try to move to Columbiana Center, but there may not be space available. Competitor Belk recently acquired the old Sears store there and expanded their Men's dept. and there may not be any remaining space available.
Some of Macy’s already looks like a cheap outlet store. I’ve totally given up on Belk.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:55 PM

Just noticed new construction on the hill on Villa Rd next to Lakeside Apts. where the Olive Tree restaurant (most recent) existed. Building has been razed. It was Bojangle's for a long time in the 90's and originally Mrs. Winner's Chicken & Biscuits back in the 80's I believe. Anyone posted what's going there?

Mrs. Winners still exists in the ATL area. LOL

Old 03-02-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Some of Macy’s already looks like a cheap outlet store. I’ve totally given up on Belk.
Overall recently Belk has been performing better than Macy's which has been struggling and closing stores. A former Macy's in Kentucky near the Nashville region was recently converted to Belk. And a former Bon-Ton in Hagerstown, Maryland is being acquired by Belk. And the ladies in my neighborhood really like the Belk at Haywood Mall.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:57 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Overall recently Belk has been performing better than Macy's which has been struggling and closing stores. A former Macy's in Kentucky near the Nashville region was recently converted to Belk. And a former Bon-Ton in Hagerstown, Maryland is being acquired by Belk. And the ladies in my neighborhood really like the Belk at Haywood Mall.
The Belk is dated af, even with the recent “renovations”

Old 03-03-2018, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
The Belk is dated af, even with the recent “renovations”

They had recent renovations??
Other than renovations to Ladies shoes several years ago Belk's interior at Haywood hasn't been renovated since the early to mid 90's. At least they could update with new bright white tile flooring ,new carpet and LED lighting like they have at other stores. Dillard's interior at Haywood is in desperate need of an update as well.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:58 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
People still shop at malls???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area