Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 03:11 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,945,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I was only replying to the question about a city that is above average outside of the downtown area; that's why I mentioned Raleigh. Not meaning to actually compare Greenville to Raleigh- and we DID voluntarily move here from there. And I was speaking just about north Raleigh- yes there are scruffy areas and yes in Durham but I am not talking about Durham just as when I say Greenville I am not referring to Spartanburg.
Sorry, I wasn't meaning to criticize you or step on anyone's toes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 03:37 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Sorry, I wasn't meaning to criticize you or step on anyone's toes.
No problem! Just clarifying. We love Greenville, and I am very excited about everything that is happening in the Laurens Rd./Stone Avenue corridor.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:07 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
My brother lived in south Durham and then north Raleigh for 3 years total and nothing really stood out to me.

The newish Brier Creek shopping center in Raleigh is similar to the Woodruff Road shopping centers in my view.

Triangle Town Center in Raleigh doesn't seem any different than Haywood Mall. Capital City Blvd reminded me of Wade Hampton or Laurens.

Here the Google maps street view of Capital City Blvd right in front of the Triangle Town Center. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8696...7i13312!8i6656

How is that better than Haywood and Woodruff Road. That's everywhere USA.

The Woodruff Road shopping centers have a 4.2 rating or higher on Google, and most of the negative comments are regarding Woodruff road traffic, not the shopping centers.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-03-2019 at 09:22 AM..

Old 03-03-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
compare Greenville, SC to Birmingham, AL (I consider a peer city):

DT Birmingham is much larger than Greenville but very gritty/rough in areas - not as refined/polished as Greenville - however, over the past 10 years, Birmingham DT improvements have been significant - the medical complex/UAB in DT Birmingham is absolutely enormous and compares nothing to anything in most, if not all, of SC
outside of DT Birmingham are cities/towns/suburbs that are superior to anything in Upstate SC - Mountain Brook, Vestavia, etc have no equal to anything in Upstate SC - Birmingham shopping venues are also superior - there is no comparison to The Summit to anything in Upstate SC
aesthetically, metro Birmingham is (much) more "mountainous" than immediate Greenville - the view of DT Birmingham from Vulcan Park is amazing - compare B'ham's topography to Tuscaloosa -Tuscaloosa just 45 min WSW of B'ham is flat as a pancake
I wouldn't want to live anywhere near downtown B'ham even in a nice neighborhood in some hills. I don't think most people would find downtown B'ham appealing.

A large hospital complex in the middle of downtown B'ham is one reason it is not appealing. I like Greenville's setup better with the hospital away from Main Street.

I would say Greenville suburban neighborhoods like Thornblade are the equal of those in Birmingham or good enough.

The Summit doesn't seem any better than the shopping options in Greenville. I recognize most of the store/ restaurant names and Greenville has most of them either in the burbs or downtown. Any chain stores in B'ham that Greenville doesn't have will probably coming be in the next few years. There's a new shopping center being built near Butler Road right now.

Here's the Google maps streetview of portion of the The Summit w/ Barnes and Noble and Trader Joe's.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4461...7i13312!8i6656

I prefer the brick architecture in Greenridge to that.

280 is like 385 and Woodruff combined into one road. It is my understanding that you can't make a left hand turn at several stop lights on 280 now.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:02 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
My brother lived in south Durham and then north Raleigh for 3 years total and nothing really stood out to me.

The newish Brier Creek shopping center in Raleigh is similar to the Woodruff Road shopping centers in my view.

Triangle Town Center in Raleigh doesn't seem any different than Haywood Mall. Capital City Blvd reminded me of Wade Hampton or Laurens.

Here the Google maps street view of Capital City Blvd right in front of the Triangle Town Center. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8696...7i13312!8i6656

How is that better than Haywood and Woodruff Road. That's everywhere USA.

The Woodruff Road shopping centers have a 4.2 rating or higher on Google, and most of the negative comments are regarding Woodruff road traffic, not the shopping centers.
Hate Capital Boulevard in Raleigh and stayed away from it as much as possible. Guess we look at different things; except for when my kids had to be driven to the mall I rarely went there; have been to the one here about three times in the 5 years I have lived here. When mentioning the area outside of downtown Raleigh I was talking about the beautiful treed neighborhoods and shopping centers along Lead Mine Rd, Six Forks, and Falls of Neuse, as well as other roads in northwest Raleigh. Nothing in the northeast part is appealing. My hope is that in redeveloping some of the roads and shopping areas here they will plant some trees; that is something that is sorely missing here, and of course one of the aspects of Main St.that is so appealing.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:14 AM

843 posts, read 1,432,571 times
If my life is at risk, I want to be taken to UAB hospital 11 times out of ten over Greenville. Birmingham's entertainment district isn't in one location like Greenville. There's Avondale/Lakeview, and close to the BJCC. The food scene in both is pretty great.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:29 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
If my life is at risk, I want to be taken to UAB hospital 11 times out of ten over Greenville. Birmingham's entertainment district isn't in one location like Greenville. There's Avondale/Lakeview, and close to the BJCC. The food scene in both is pretty great.
Birmingham is larger, but it's in Alabama. No thanks.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:27 PM

843 posts, read 1,432,571 times
In my opinion, there's not much difference between Alabama and South Carolina after living in both.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:52 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,610,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
In my opinion, there's not much difference between Alabama and South Carolina after living in both.
agree now - I am an AL native; 10+ years ago, I would have disagreed (SC>AL); but, AL (Birmingham metro mainly) has made significant strides in quality of life (metro B'ham has great infrastructure compared to Upstate SC); really SC is just AL with a lottery (with a few minor differences); honestly, both are great for raising a family

Last edited by drfranklin; 03-04-2019 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 03:52 PM

It seems like the only residents who would be using Laurens Road a lot are those that live in the neighborhoods near Laurens like Verdae, Parkins Mill, Washington Road area, and Ashmore Bridge Road area near the center of Mauldin.

Laurens Road is the motor mile car dealership road. I can't think of any motor mile road in a metro that is heavily forested. Most people will use 385 to go to downtown and there are trees along 385.

If a person like trees and wants to be near the shopping areas and downtown, I would recommend living north of 385 around Pelham Road and Hudson Road and The Parkway. That is a very wooded area and you could some good vistas going over on the hill in both directions at the Haywood-Pelham interection and headed down Pelham to North Street. Coming from that area right after you cross 385, the Haywood Mall and Woodruff Road are right there.

Or live up in the Pebble Creek and State Park Road area. Or the Augusta Road area. Or around highway 14 / Roper Mountain Road.

If you live in the Pelham Road area, you can take Pelham to North Street and then take North Street to Park Avenue which runs by McPherson Park to Main Street. It is going to be hard to top that for trees along roads in an urban area.

I think Laurens is actually a pretty cool road because you can see the Blue Ridge and Paris Mountain in spots and the Pelham Road ridge. I've parked in the Pottery Barn parking lot during lunch because of the view which includes the airport field.

Not that long ago the Greenridge portion of Woodruff was a forested area and Verdae was forested across from the golf course. We had to sacrifice some trees for these shopping centers and people who want to live right next to them.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-04-2019 at 04:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area