Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:27 PM

379 posts, read 533,410 times

Advertisements

tami, no, that was not me on your caller ID!! lol....maybe mental telepathy?

I have a Kindle and it is loaded with free books. I wish the Kindle Fire had been available when I got mine, am thinking about getting it still. I've seen one and the color is amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 09:41 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,271,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ListenToYourHeart View Post
Oh, please. It's nothing. People go out to eat all the time on their own. Not at a fancy restaurant, but regular restaurant. It's NOT weird as long as you're not the ONLY customer there in the whole dinning room and there are 4 waiters there doing nothing but stare at you or waiting for your request for extra whatever.

LOL this actually happened to me once.

Being a Leo, I loved it

Old 06-20-2012, 02:02 AM

261 posts, read 497,206 times
it's great to have that security to be able to go out and enjoy a meal or a movie alone. Or anything else really. But in reality, it is much more fun with other people you can relate to. Problem is finding someone to relate to.

There is a huge business opportunity here. Maybe some of you can start a social club of some sort. Maybe a women's club, have a newsletter, charge a fee to support the expenses. I may google social clubs.

Think of how liberating that would be to build a circle of trustworthy friends of like minds to hang out and play cards, go to events together, have a local support group. Wow. Who wouldn't love that sort of thing. It seems harder and harder to make friends these days because people are less social, so this social club for regular folks may really become popular. But it would take someone with a creative mind and yet still in touch with reality to come up with ideas. For example, don't focus entirely on high end outings. Try some "guided hikes" or board games, or even have members suggest things to organize.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:29 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
it's great to have that security to be able to go out and enjoy a meal or a movie alone. Or anything else really. But in reality, it is much more fun with other people you can relate to. Problem is finding someone to relate to.

There is a huge business opportunity here. Maybe some of you can start a social club of some sort. Maybe a women's club, have a newsletter, charge a fee to support the expenses. I may google social clubs.

Think of how liberating that would be to build a circle of trustworthy friends of like minds to hang out and play cards, go to events together, have a local support group. Wow. Who wouldn't love that sort of thing. It seems harder and harder to make friends these days because people are less social, so this social club for regular folks may really become popular. But it would take someone with a creative mind and yet still in touch with reality to come up with ideas. For example, don't focus entirely on high end outings. Try some "guided hikes" or board games, or even have members suggest things to organize.
LOL, leave it to a Californian to come up with an enterprise here!

I remember back in my Nana's day, neighborhood women had social circles. They had a Bridge Club (what else, I'm not sure.). I'm not sure if they ventured out into the city for a day to go shopping or whatever but every single week they had that Bridge Club and gossiped on the phone every single day. Only problem with that was when the pi$$ing and moaning made women drop out of it.

Coldplay, women can not be together too long. We always turn on each other. Cyber space is good....we stay friends.

Great idea though! Sadly, I have anything BUT a creative mind, no money, nor physical stamina for outdoorsy stuff. (MS) It IS a good idea.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:28 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
My ex-MIL once told me about a club she belonged to called the M.E. Club. It stood for Monday Evening and they would rotate the meetings at each woman's house. They would sometimes play cards and exchange recipes or just talk, vent, whatev.

It evolved into the M.E. Club, (Meet and Eat) since each hostess attempted to outdo the last in the refreshments department. As children grew up and spouses passed away, the club continued and the ladies always had support and love (and refreshments!) from her friends. BTW, this club started when they women were young girls - 7th. grade. Be nice to have a circle such as this to lean on.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
My ex-MIL once told me about a club she belonged to called the M.E. Club. It stood for Monday Evening and they would rotate the meetings at each woman's house. They would sometimes play cards and exchange recipes or just talk, vent, whatev.

It evolved into the M.E. Club, (Meet and Eat) since each hostess attempted to outdo the last in the refreshments department. As children grew up and spouses passed away, the club continued and the ladies always had support and love (and refreshments!) from her friends. BTW, this club started when they women were young girls - 7th. grade. Be nice to have a circle such as this to lean on.
That's such a nice story, gypsy! Thank you!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:18 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post

Just what I have been thinking..I have been a widow a year now and eating out is so loney..I can go by myself and don't really worry about what people think but it makes me feel more loney because i am used to nice conversation during my meals..

So I am trying to find others around me that feel the same way..A Supper Club where there are enough people that when I want to go somewhere I just put out the email to the group to see who would like to join me..No schedule , no planning..Just "going to such & such at 6 tonight, who is in??"

Old 06-30-2012, 12:07 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Good friends are hard to find, keep, and develop. Back in the 80's we had some great friends we got together with every Friday night. Nothing expensive, the guys usually did computer stuff. Sometimes we cooked or watched TV/movies. And we traveled together, great trips to Tahiti and Europe. I miss them.

We had plans to go out one New Year's Eve. We got home and found our Great Dane had cut her leg while we were at work. She was still alive but had bled all over the house. We called our friends to cancel, had to leave a message, and took the dog to the vet. When we got home hours later, our friends were there and they had spent New Years Eve cleaning up dog blood at our house. Nothing like good friends!

Old 06-30-2012, 02:25 PM

Sounds like you had a great group of friends there, yellowsnow. How did they get into your home, btw?

Old 06-30-2012, 03:47 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Sounds like you had a great group of friends there, yellowsnow. How did they get into your home, btw?
If it were my friends they would know where I hide the key
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning