Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 10:10 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever lost a loved one, and now regret it that you didn't join that person on his/her trip to the next world, holding hands? And what were some of your reasons, or the main reason, for your staying behind?

Here, in Las Vegas, over the years, I've read of, mostly, older people in murder-suicides and I oftentimes wonder if it was planned out in advance, through some strong bond of love.

I had that overwhelming temptation back in 1994, when I lost my partner, I regretted it for some time until someone else came along who's been part of my life for the past 14 years now, but now at 63, my health going south, if something should happen to him, and with my everlasting dread of dying alone, together we go! And skip that dreadful grieving/mourning process!

Next time I'll plug my ears when I hear it: You've got so much to offer the world, you've got many years ahead of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 04:09 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,180,454 times
Quote:
you've got many years ahead of you
...yes unfortunatly that is true.

In a way I feel im just marking time until I can be re-united with my partner.

There's a song by the folksinger the late Kate Wolf that has a lyric.

"...an unfinished life/that I find lies before me..."

I sort of feel that way. Unfinished, in that I wasnt able to grow old with my partner (or he wasnt able to grow old with me).

I do sort of wish sometimes that I will come down with some terminal illness or something more sudden like a heart attack, which would hurry up my meeting him in the great bye and bye. You do hear of this, spouses surviving their partners passing by just a few years.

But as it is, I will let nature take its course as we all will pass, in time we all will pass.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:30 PM

624 posts, read 940,161 times
I was engaged to a man who died unexpectedly five months before our wedding, while he was away on business for two months no less, and in the period immediately after his death I did consider joining him. I decided that he wouldn't want it that way, and that he would want me to find happiness on my own, even do some things we had planned to do together and finish some things he had been doing for himself and others. I decided there is no greater gift than sticking around to keep his memory alive in the world. Then again, I understand why people might want to join their partner in the afterlife and would not judge someone who made the decision to do so. It's your life, so in my opinion, your choice and nobody can tell you how, why or when you should end it. Provided you have identified and sought help for any mental health problems you might have, that is. Surrounding the death or otherwise.

Losing a partner leaves huge holes, but even those of us with little money or social resources can slowly fill most of them in if we really want to, at any age. Like I said, doing things for yourself or others is an excellent way to honor a memory. To the OP or anyone else here who has felt like he or she feels, I would wish you peace and a clear head for your choices, whatever they are. But yeah, I do know what that feels like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning