Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 07:29 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times

Advertisements

I just love your sweet caring for your fur-babies elston! It always makes me smile! I am so glad you posted--for some reason I am feeling very alone right now. Guess it's all the problems and having to deal with it on my own! Not sure if I will ever get use to that! But coming here and reading posts, especially good happy posts helps a lot!

Old 06-26-2018, 08:30 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,501,432 times
Had so wicked storms here last night but got some much needed rain! It's been so hot many lawns are very dry! A/C is working--had to have another tech come out and add some Freon last night since it lost some when they put in the new unit. Hopefully all is well now. Just to many problems this week and I have been very over whelmed--really trying to get my positive back now!
Have a blessed day everyone!

As far as too many problems, I have to add mine. Sorry, cyn. It's been the lawnmower not running, for one. More on that later. The vacuum cleaner broke down, we bought a new one at Wal*Mart, and it's belt broke after two usages! So yesterday I took the belt off of the old one and put it on our new one. Works good, for now.

As for the lawnmower, I'm gonna take it to a place here in town that works on them - may need it's carburetor rebuilt due to the quality of the gas we all buy these days. That's what some church members are thinking. OK, we'll do that when we have time, in the meantime I'm using our trimmer for the whole lawn, and since it's New Mexico lawn, it's working! So there's those two maintenance machine problems - we're good on them for now.

Here's my latest problem - one: my wife is sick. We ate McDonald's hamburgers, fries and soda yesterday afternoon. It was my idea - she wanted either Arby's or Wendys'. Her stomach is now upset and she's sleeping in. I'm on my last day off and I'll keep a close eye on her.

Next, and lastly (I sure hope!!) is our oldest dog, Cotey. I gave him a few small chunks of hamburger from the chili my wife made. I finished it, Cotey went running to the kitchen. Often he'll grab up a helping of dry dog food that we have in dishes for the 2 cats and 2 dogs. The Chow Meggy May was growling at him - she'll even do that when he's in distress - Cotey started breathing heavy and hard. He's breathing way too fast and we fear his trachea has completely collapsed. It's been happening for months now - he often sleeps in the bathroom sprawled out on his belly - must help him to breathe better. He's 14 years old - it's doubtful tracheal rebuild surgery would be recommended by the vet because he's too old. So I'm taking him in today to see what can be done, with minimal tests, hopefully, and minimal interventions, though we want them to do something if they can. I'm going to mention to the vet the possibility that Cotey aspirated - I hope they can induce that material to come out of his trachea somehow.

He can not continue to breathe so fast - he's going to wear out. We hate to have him put down but that looks like it may happen later on today. Keep us in your thoughts.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:19 AM

48,142 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Oh elko.....so sorry to hear about Cotey. I rather think he might have aspirated something in response to Maggie May's growling....if so hopefully they can dislodge it. Keeping Cotey and you and your wife in my prayers.

I hear you blaming yourself for giving Cotey some of the chili meat. Just cut out the guilt and blaming. We know how much you love your animals!

We are all praying for you all.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:22 AM

Yes wea re all praying for you and yours! I agree with everything elston said! God be with all of you!

Old 06-26-2018, 02:40 PM

Oh elko.....so sorry to hear about Cotey. I rather think he might have aspirated something in response to Maggie May's growling....if so hopefully they can dislodge it. Keeping Cotey and you and your wife in my prayers.

I hear you blaming yourself for giving Cotey some of the chili meat. Just cut out the guilt and blaming. We know how much you love your animals!

We are all praying for you all.

Thank you, elston!

Yes wea re all praying for you and yours! I agree with everything elston said! God be with all of you!

Thank you too, cyn!

Cotey is still breathing hard and with us. He doesn't want to eat, but he drank some water. We are working on getting a vet's input on this later today or early tomorrow. We're heartbroken.

Last edited by elkotronics; 06-26-2018 at 02:54 PM..

Old 06-26-2018, 02:58 PM

815 posts, read 981,748 times
Please keep us posted, elko.
We are all sending you positive thoughts and prayers for Cotey.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:13 AM

Prayers being sent for your, your family and Cotey!

Old 06-27-2018, 07:49 AM

Cotey died this morning, early morning. I took him to the vet yesterday asking for help or to put him down. I am irritated at the vet we went to. He wanted to give Cotey antibiotics and start treating him. OK fine, sure we love him and would love to save him, but come one, the dog is dying. So I paid my bill for the exam and he prescribed some antibiotics and breathing pills.

Got Cotey home around 5:30PM last night, and Mrs. elkotronics was furious that the guy prescribed pills and not liquid meds. We called the vet and a girl finally picked up after about 4 calls to them. She got the vet on the phone and he said it's about a big enough dosage and cost to us passed on. Humm. We expressed our frustration about giving a dog in breathing distress a horsepill antibiotic and then a couple more little 5mg-sized pills. It just added to the sadness - Cotey fought us off hard and we couldn't get the medicine to drop. The vet said to bring him in in the morning and he'll get the pills down him and show us how he did it. I tell you guys, I followed his instructions completely and Cotey's gag reflex made him spit them out - I told the vet yesterday afternoon about that - I'm a Respiratory Therapist after all! He said you force it down the dog's throat. We're appalled and sad about everything.

We told him we loved him all night as he breathed hard - we decided to bring him in early and have him put down. I got down on the carpet right at his face, petted him and told him he was a great dog, he was an answer to my prayers to Jehovah after our first Pom died in 2004, and that he was a strong boy and a fighter. He got up, walked over to the back door of our house, and sprawled out on the carpet there next to the door. His body quivered about 3 times and his breathing stopped. I had just prayed to Jehovah about 5 minutes before that to just take him. Please end this.

And that's what happened. We're relieved that it's over. Now to bury him. I go back to work tonight for 3 nights in a row then I get 11 days and night off. I'm going to take all 11 of them off and not volunteer to cover any extra shifts. I've been crying all morning. Even the lowly canines are a testimony to Jehovah's power, love, wisdom and justice.

Thank you, Jehovah, for giving us the blessing of Cotey. I love you all and hope your Wednesday's are good ones.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:34 AM

48,142 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Oh Friend Elko. I am so sorry. My heart and prayers are with you and Mrs. E. I am sure Cotey knew how loved he was.

I had a similar incident (except for the horse pills) when my sweet Hannah was dying.

I am truly sorry for this nightmare posing as treatment.

Rest in Peace Cotey, you were (and are) loved.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:37 AM

I am beyond sorry for all of you elko! Rest in peace Cotey. We all cared! I feel your pain elko--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.