Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 05:07 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,325 times

Advertisements

If you really want to get rid of your photos look into donating them to a historical organization. Also I often see old photos for sale in the country craft stores that I visit. You know the old saying "one mans trash is another mans treasure" someone would value your photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 06:07 PM

209 posts, read 417,614 times
I scanned all our photos (several albums worth) and got rid of that originals & negatives when we moved to a small condo. At first I thought that I couldn't get rid of them, but now I'm glad I did. I absolutely didn't have room for them, I can get one printed if I want to display it in a frame, and can share them with any of the other relatives. And not having them sitting in the closet hasn't diminished my memories of family & past good times.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:29 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,955 times
i had about 10 photo albums and the photos were always falling out and annoying me so when we were preparing for a move about 13 years ago I took them all out of the albums and put them in zip lock bags in order they were in the albums and put them in one small suitcase. Over those years I have pawed through them and they no longer are in order and I do regret I did not number the bags. I did take a small bit of time again about 9 years ago and tossed many photos my Mom sent to me before she died of my brother. I think she meant to send them to him. I tossed them too as we were never close. And like the OP I have no one to pass photos onto and if I did not know who was in the photo I not keep it. This made my small suitcase easier for me to access the photos I do want to look at again for my own enjoyment. I do not feel like scanning them but maybe some day I will.

I did make DVD's of the VHS tapes my husbands father and mother made about their lives. Kept two copies and gave one to my SIL. I did keep the tapes but I heard they will eventually deteriorate.

I figure some long cold winter I might go back through the photos and at least put them back in order. Then maybe scan but it just takes so much time unless I can scan maybe 6 at a time.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:43 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
seaduced - if you have no descendents or relatives who would ever be interested in these photos, you might want to trash them.

But if there are people who might treasure them, pass them on to those people.

I have to say at 2 years after my father's death, I looked through his slides of the vietnam war years, and I am dedicated to getting these wonderful images back to the families of the men who are in them.

Do you have a similar project? These pictures you are about to discard - would they possibly be treasures to other families?

Old 06-06-2017, 04:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
My parents kept photos from as far back as the turn of the last century all through the war years up till the point they passed away,most of the photos are friends and family from the old country i have no idea who the people are or the story behind the pics,i'm considering tossing them but am reluctant due to how much mom and dad treasured the memories they brought,unfortunately i dont share most of their memories and am stuck with a few dozen photo albums of mysterious people.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:49 AM

252 posts, read 359,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
If you really want to get rid of your photos look into donating them to a historical organization. Also I often see old photos for sale in the country craft stores that I visit. You know the old saying "one mans trash is another mans treasure" someone would value your photos.
Great idea! Especially the photos of monuments, buildings. I'd even be willing to pay for shipping.
I'll look into it. Thanks

Old 06-06-2017, 04:17 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaduced View Post
Great idea! Especially the photos of monuments, buildings. I'd even be willing to pay for shipping.
I'll look into it. Thanks
Someone will be very happy to get your photos. I love looking back at fashion and trends of years gone by. The old cars and buildings fascinate me too.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:55 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Certainly didn't help me move on. If you are luckily so honest that you know you'll never look at them, that should make it easy for you to let go.

Even if no relatives, is there any person or organization that might like them? For instance, if you're in a small town, maybe a local historical society? Or close friends of whoever died?

Old 06-06-2017, 07:30 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Our family had two house fires...Lost decades of family moments. Ever so thankful that my one aunt saved some childhood ones. I dearly recall some stepping stone moments( family baptisms,confirmations,Christmas's) ..Yet a photo would do so much more..

As my memory fades...The photos re clarify.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:58 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
I love old pictures. I would donate them to a local historical society especially the old ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning