Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 06:47 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,203,548 times

Advertisements

After my grandfather died in the early 80's I missed him terribly. After a year of intensely missing him, I had a dream about him. He begged me to please, please let him go, that he wanted and needed to move on. It was a very realistic dream. I did try to let him go after that, and I always remember him asking me that whenever someone else dies and I miss them too much. Honestly, I think he really did visit me in that dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 07:49 PM

15,649 posts, read 10,405,925 times
I dreamt of my loved one very, very often for about 5 years after he died. he always talked to me in the dreams and comforted me in my grief.

I haven't dreamt of him in years. He has been dead over 30 years. I wish I still had occasional conversations with him in my dreams.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:52 PM

7,052 posts, read 6,310,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
After my grandfather died in the early 80's I missed him terribly. After a year of intensely missing him, I had a dream about him. He begged me to please, please let him go, that he wanted and needed to move on. It was a very realistic dream. I did try to let him go after that, and I always remember him asking me that whenever someone else dies and I miss them too much. Honestly, I think he really did visit me in that dream.
I believe he did too.

Your screen name is Native American. I worked with Native American communities for five years and was moved by the spiritual ceremonies they performed. When people are that spiritual, I imagine the walls between the world's are thinner.

Old 02-02-2020, 01:02 AM

32,953 posts, read 36,412,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Yes that is what terrifies me it’s like she is hugging me for real.
Those are the worst. I've had dreams that seemed so real that I thought that my husband was alive. And then you wake up. And you're alone.

Old 02-02-2020, 06:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times
I do dream occasionally about my loved ones who are gone (haven't dreamed about my brother yet- he died 6 months ago, or my mom who died a year ago). It's always either my dad or my grandmother, and the dreams are always pleasant. They are usually "casual," in the sense that neither of them acts like it's any big deal for them to be there. No great proclamations - just warm, pleasant dreams.

One really cool thing that happened in 2018 was this: I woke up one morning and did my usual bleary eyed stumble to the coffee maker and as I was walking into the kitchen, I sort of simultaneously thought "Hey, Dad died three years ago today," and as I was thinking that, suddenly, completely out of the blue, my phone just started playing a song I had never even heard before! It was a video of Amos Lee singing "A Little Bit of Rain." And the crazy thing was that my dad and I always really liked the same types of music and we loved playing videos together in his office and right before he died, he had "discovered" Amos Lee.

https://youtu.be/19mu57sd4Mg

That was like a little gift straight from my dad!

Old 02-02-2020, 09:19 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,052,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
That was your mind coaching you to let go. You were the one who needed to move on, and you knew it. So your subconscious mind came up with a dream to express the sentiment. No one returns from the dead to talk to anyone in a dream. It’s always what we would expect: we are just talking to ourselves. Through a dream mechanism.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:10 AM

7,168 posts, read 4,567,553 times
Windwalker, my mom had a similar experience when her fiancé died. Visits from beyond are awesome!

Old 02-02-2020, 11:58 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,077,792 times
My parents have been gone almost 16 yrs now. I very rarely dream abt them...idk why.
But, when they do show up of in a corner or something, I'm like ' hey what are you doing here?' lol

I usually dream/think of them both during the day as i go about doing my things that i do.
Tell them Hi , or that im thinking abt them.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:17 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,203,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
That was your mind coaching you to let go. You were the one who needed to move on, and you knew it. So your subconscious mind came up with a dream to express the sentiment. No one returns from the dead to talk to anyone in a dream. It’s always what we would expect: we are just talking to ourselves. Through a dream mechanism.

Rather a mean response - How exactly do you know that what you say is true? Many others who study this phenomenon would disagree with you. I'm sorry if those you have lost never come to visit you.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:19 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,962,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
When I dream of my father, who died at 53 in 1973, I always tell him I thought he was dead and he tells me that he was ill but got better...When I dream of my mother, who died at 90 in 2013, I don't seem to know she is dead. Always good dreams of them.
Me too. I have dreams about family and friends who have died, but it's like a time warp dream. They are frozen at the age they were when they died, and everything is great in the dream. I always feel calm after dreaming about them because it's like I had another opportunity to talk with them and spend time with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning