Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 12:41 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times

Advertisements

On our news this morning , the discussion is over how long to have a break from work after the death of your child..Most places expect the person back after a week but it was mentioned that our PM Mr Cameron had a month off work when his son sadly died then he was eased back into work gently... To me though some people might need their work as a way of grieving... IM not really sure..A month , a year of course doesnt matter in these circumstances..as I cant imagine the sadness ever going away but is there a time when its right to return to work and should employers recognise this more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Where I worked it was 5 days. You could take vacation days or sicks days if you wanted more.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:20 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Anywhere I have worked it's only 3 days. Lots of places with no pay either.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
A lot of employers are understanding and will let you use comp time, vacation, sick, and unpaid leave after the initial 3-5 days runs out. Hopefully the manager is understanding.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
I had an employee who lost a child. It was absolutely heartbreaking. We told her to take all the time she needed. The first month we treated as sick time, the second month we treated as half-salary. She came back after sixty days. Even then, she occasionally needed time off to deal with it. I don't think anyone on our staff ever dared to complain.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:06 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I had an employee who lost a child. It was absolutely heartbreaking. We told her to take all the time she needed. The first month we treated as sick time, the second month we treated as half-salary. She came back after sixty days. Even then, she occasionally needed time off to deal with it. I don't think anyone on our staff ever dared to complain.
As well they shouldn't, cpg. I can not even imagine what a person must go through with the loss of a child. Well, yes I can NOW with so many people on here that have lost children but IDK how a person can even go back to work after something like that. Takes real strength no matter what your situation. You sound like a very caring boss.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:39 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
On our news this morning , the discussion is over how long to have a break from work after the death of your child..Most places expect the person back after a week but it was mentioned that our PM Mr Cameron had a month off work when his son sadly died then he was eased back into work gently... To me though some people might need their work as a way of grieving... IM not really sure..A month , a year of course doesnt matter in these circumstances..as I cant imagine the sadness ever going away but is there a time when its right to return to work and should employers recognise this more.

Personally, I highly doubt I could return to work in just a week myself.

But some folks find working more therapeutic - they HAVE to stay busy or be crushed by the pain.

So I think in heartbreaking situations like this, it's really great if employers can just be flexible and work to give the grieving parent what they need.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:15 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,474 times
I came back after a week and worked on adrenaline for a year. Then I crashed. This is such an individual response. It depends on how your child died as well as what your coping mechanisms/resources are. It's wonderful to have compassionate co-workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning